[SOLVED] Newbie, what GPU should I put in my new build?

alphacoyle

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
I don't know much about all the new cards; was planning on getting a GTX1650 Super since I won't be doing any extreme gaming and use 1080p monitor. But I know a lot of new cards have just come out so maybe there's a better option for not too much more; like something in an RTX card for the ray tracing effects--I am also new to gaming in general; might buy Cyberpunk2077 just to try one out--I prefer sci-fi over fantasy so seems good choice? The prices right now are high, should I wait, think things will normalize anytime soon?

Solution
Well, now that the 3060ti is out, no reason to consider a 2060, and maybe by the time GPU stock gets back to normal they'll have released a 3060 or less.

The RTX 3060 Ti is definitely the one to get, especially since initial impressions are indicating that Cyberpunk is going to be very GPU heavy to run with Ray Tracing effects cranked up.
I don't know much about all the new cards; was planning on getting a GTX1650 Super since I won't be doing any extreme gaming and use 1080p monitor. But I know a lot of new cards have just come out so maybe there's a better option for not too much more; like something in an RTX card for the ray tracing effects--I am also new to gaming in general; might buy Cyberpunk2077 just to try one out--I prefer sci-fi over fantasy so seems good choice? The prices right now are high, should I wait, think things will normalize anytime soon?
It'll probably take 4-6 months for Nvidia to announce an entry level RTX GPU, release it, and for stock and price to stabilize and the average person can actually afford / buy it. If you don't want to wait that long, the GTX 1650/1660 Super are good bets.

RTX2060 should give good fps at 1080p with some RTX, but its not going to be you know, the best and possible slow downs. I wouldn't get anything lower than a RTX2070 for that game for 1080p and raytracing. But of course your cheap might be different from my cheap, so a 2nd hand RTX2070 - 2080 might be the best bang for buck when Nvidia gets more of the newer cards in stock.

What is the make/model of the rest of your parts?
GTX1650 super is a reasonable card for it's price class.
You will get fair value from any new card at every price level.

One rule of thumb for a balanced gamer is to budget 2x the cost of your processor for the graphics card.

alphacoyle

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
What is the make/model of the rest of your parts?
GTX1650 super is a reasonable card for it's price class.
You will get fair value from any new card at every price level.

One rule of thumb for a balanced gamer is to budget 2x the cost of your processor for the graphics card.
Is pretty basic: i3-10100, 16gb ram, Asus Rog Strix Mobo, Superflower PSU in a Thermaltake Suppressor F1 case. GTX1650 Super prices are higher right now than when I did the build; need to have it by Christmas, saw some RTX2060-70s for around 300+ but then read that the 3000 series out make those prices obsolete so thought I'd ask.

Love the build.
I built using a I3-10100 for a desktop for my son.
It is a quick turbo.
Here is a gaming review:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i3-10100/15.html

GTX16xx cards would seem to be appropriate.
Buy the strongest your budget will allow.
Buy a EVGA card, they have a 90 day free trade up option if you should want something stronger. Read the qualifying fine print.

Last edited:
Reactions: alphacoyle

alphacoyle

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
As the main aim is to play a specific with RT I’d wait for the game to release and find reviews of the RTX2060 and 2070. I have doubts how well a 2060 will actually do, my experience is it’s too weak to be really any good with RT on.
Oh ok, I just looked at gameplay videos showing the 2060 RT on/off, looked good on GTA5 etc, but yeah I guess can see that; reviews been reading for 2060 say runs hot; like you mention, too weak.
So, you think GTX1650 Super is ok card, or were you suggesting a 1060 or something else instead?

alphacoyle

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
As the main aim is to play a specific with RT I’d wait for the game to release and find reviews of the RTX2060 and 2070. I have doubts how well a 2060 will actually do, my experience is it’s too weak to be really any good with RT on.
Well, now that the 3060ti is out, no reason to consider a 2060, and maybe by the time GPU stock gets back to normal they'll have released a 3060 or less.

The RTX 3060 Ti is definitely the one to get, especially since initial impressions are indicating that Cyberpunk is going to be very GPU heavy to run with Ray Tracing effects cranked up.

Reactions: alphacoyle
Solution