Question Newbie with Good Spec PC Underperforming

Jan 30, 2023
Hello, I am not very experienced in building a PC, a couple of years ago i put together my PC that i mostly use for gaming (especially CPU heavy games) i always felt it was underperforming but i cannot figure out what is going wrong.

Here is my benchmark https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/58807974

and my specs:
UserBenchmarks: Game 95%, Desk 96%, Work 99%
CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K - 88.7%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 - 103.5%
SSD: Sandisk PLUS 240GB - 39.1%
SSD: XPG GAMMIX S50 Lite 2TB - 268.4%
HDD: Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB - 54.3%
RAM: Unknown BL16G30C15U4B.M16FE1 2x16GB - 87.3%
MBD: Asrock B365M Pro4
PSU: 700W Cooler Master

I understand that my motherboard is not made for overclocking but i never really planned to embark onto that road

Drivers are up to date

Thank you for any help

letmepicyou

Honorable
Mar 5, 2019
I mean, honestly, you're performing "below spec" here, but...not THAT "below spec", I think most of your "below spec" performance comes from a low-spec motherboard and no-name ram. These things are going to produce an overall decrease in overall performance because they're not PERFORMANCE parts. Changing to a top-tier chipset "gaming" motherboard and some low latency ram and bet a lot of those "below spec" readings would start to average out.

Hello, I am not very experienced in building a PC, a couple of years ago i put together my PC that i mostly use for gaming (especially CPU heavy games) i always felt it was underperforming but i cannot figure out what is going wrong.

and my specs:

I understand that my motherboard is not made for overclocking but i never really planned to embark onto that road

Drivers are up to date

Thank you for any help
What cooler do you have?

and my specs:

Drivers are up to date

Thank you for any help
Update the bios.

Is the ram in the proper slots?

Jan 30, 2023
What cooler do you have?
A cheap Cooler Master fan, but i don't have any problems with overheating

Update the bios.

Is the ram in the proper slots?
The ram is in the correct spots, for the bios i read it could have bad consequences if done wrong, is it something that is needed or is something that just might help?

I mean, honestly, you're performing "below spec" here, but...not THAT "below spec", I think most of your "below spec" performance comes from a low-spec motherboard and no-name ram. These things are going to produce an overall decrease in overall performance because they're not PERFORMANCE parts. Changing to a top-tier chipset "gaming" motherboard and some low latency ram and bet a lot of those "below spec" readings would start to average out.
those are indeed pieces that i bought cheap because when i last tried to upgrade some parts i had incompatibility problems and i had to fix it on the cheap being out of budget
As i said i am not very experienced with building my pc, would you be able to suggest a specific motherboard and ram that is compatible with the rest of my build? also are there sites that help you figure out compatibilities?

Let's say i could have a budget of 300-500 €/$ to upgrade some parts, would you be able to suggest something?

For context of what i aim for, i did play AAA games from a couple years ago without problems with good to high graphic settings, the problems comes when i play CPU intensive games known for being greedy with resources like Dwarf Fortress or Oxygen Not Included (which ironically have way lower suggested requirements than AAA games), while they are playable i do pretty quickly fall under 20 fps and i see people streaming stuff i would not be able to come close to while staying comfortably at 50-60 fps

thank you all for your help btw

The ram is in the correct spots, for the bios i read it could have bad consequences if done wrong, is it something that is needed or is something that just might help?

those are indeed pieces that i bought cheap because when i last tried to upgrade some parts i had incompatibility problems and i had to fix it on the cheap being out of budget
As i said i am not very experienced with building my pc, would you be able to suggest a specific motherboard and ram that is compatible with the rest of my build? also are there sites that help you figure out compatibilities?

Let's say i could have a budget of 300-500 €/$ to upgrade some parts, would you be able to suggest something?

For context of what i aim for, i did play AAA games from a couple years ago without problems with good to high graphic settings, the problems comes when i play CPU intensive games known for being greedy with resources like Dwarf Fortress or Oxygen Not Included (which ironically have way lower suggested requirements than AAA games), while they are playable i do pretty quickly fall under 20 fps and i see people streaming stuff i would not be able to come close to while staying comfortably at 50-60 fps

Bios......it's something that shows so you get it out of the mix.

letmepicyou

Honorable
Mar 5, 2019

The fastest ram that board supports is DDR4 2666. Pretty big perf hit for the 9900k on that ram for certain.

https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-lga-1151-z390-ud/p/N82E16813145095?Item=9SIAKRHJFN5484

That's a Gigabyte Z390 chipset board that supports up to DDR4 4000. So you could pair some decent quality DDR4 3200 with this board and get much better performance from that 9900k.

Just out of curiosity, do you maintain current security software and when was the last time you ran a scan with Malwarebytes? Any type of malware infection can sap performance from a computer easily.

Also, whether or not it'll be worth it to get another 10 or 15% out of this 9900k will be up to you. Most games still run fine on Gen 9 cpus, but they are up to Gen 13 now, and if you're going to upgrade, sometimes it can be better money spent on a whole new platform. But whether or not it's worth it to you is a decision only you can make.

Jan 30, 2023
I will go for an update of the MB and ram then, if i understand correctly if i go for that i should not bother updating the bios for now, thanks i will test it out in the next days then