Question Newbuild PC (B450 Tomahawk) - Random Freezes. Windows 10 - HELP!

Jul 3, 2019
Hello. About 3 months ago I built my PC:

System Specs:
Motherboard: B450 Tomahawk (MS-7C02)
Processor: AMD Ryzen 3 2200g
Graphics Card GPU: Powercolor R9 290x 4GB
Power Supply: EVGA 500W White
RAM: DDR4 24GB
Harddrive: Seagate 2TB

I used PCPartPicker to make sure everything was compatible.

Up until 10 days ago everything worked fine. I had no issues. Then out of nowhere these last 10 days have been an absolute nightmare. Random FREEZES with no logical pattern.
It can happen while playing a game, browsing the internet or even sometimes at the windows login screen.

My troubleshoot progress

• I updated all the drivers and windows updates Problem still persisted.
  • Must have done about 5 clean installs of windows. Problem still persisted.
  • Even though MSI Afterburn software said my CPU was 45c (Good Temp). I thought maybe it was giving me a false reading so I reapplied thermal paste. Problem still persisted.
  • I checked to make sure all the RAM was slotted in correctly. Problem still persisted.
  • I checked to make sure no visible damage to the capacitors. Problem still persisted.
  • I ran all the scannow, memory test, etc. Even did Reimage software scan. Everything tells me EVERYTHING WORKS. Problem still persisted.
  • I updated the bios to the newest version. Problem still persisted.
  • Did a clean boot, still randomly FROZE after some time. Problem still persisted.
  • I disconnected and took out the GPU and used on board graphics. Problem still persisted.
  • Even tried fiddling with the power settings in control panel. Problem still persisted.

Trying to diagnose this problem using the Event Viewer seems like finding a needle in a haystack. Sometimes the PC can be fine for 5 hours, then it can freeze 5 times in an hour.
It's hard freeze. It doesn't automatically reboot or show blue screen of death so its not giving me screen dumps of the problem, just freezes everything you are doing leaving Mouse and Keyboard rendered useless (Desktop and whatever you were doing is still on the display).

The only way to EXIT is to do a hard restart on the system. Of course that in the Event Viewer shows up as Critical Error: Kernal-Power.

I get tons of warnings about WHEA-Logger Event ID 19 "Corrected hardware error has occurred" and some occasional Distributed COM (Event ID 10016) Errors
I don't know if that has anything significance, I'm just completely out of ideas so I thought I would give this forum a shot. I'd appreciate any ideas you might have. I'm so frustrated and exhausted!

Thanks in Advance!

TRENDING THREADS