Newegg (Briefly!) Offers Affordable GTX 1080 Bundles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rookie_MIB

Distinguished
The pricing is still utterly ridiculous. I can't believe the 1080's are going for $1,300.00 and higher. If Nvidia is in the same boat as AMD - the thing is - it's NOT the actual GPU which is causing the shortage. It's the ding-dang RAM which is restricting them from increasing production.

I paid slightly more but absolutely agree. If it keeps going like this my good ole 1070 is going to have to hang around a long while.

No, no it's actually a GPU shortage. Not a RAM shortage. Although the supply of RAM isn't what anyone would like, it's still available. Prices are just rising due to supply and demand. Most GPUs are sold out across the line, and the price on them has increased significantly more. We have also discussed the shortage with OEMs, and they confirmed that it is a GPU supply shortage.

berezini.2013

Prominent
Sep 25, 2017
who do you think intentionally slimming out stock to create shortages?
1) dont need to work so hard/so much (check)
2) no logistics nightmare (check)
3) demand will always be there (check)
4) fire all the extra people you dont need to keep around with low volumes (check)
5) price will rise and keep rising so you will still make the money you would have doing crazy amount of volume at low prices (check)
6) work less, get more cash (check)
7) buy yourself a new car, go on vacation (check)

InvalidError

Titan

DRAM and GPU sales have increased across all manufacturers, which means manufacturing clearly didn't get "slimmed" in any way, shape or form. GPUs are still getting pumped out by AIB partners as quickly as memory manufacturers, AMD and Nvidia are able to provide chips.

The only real "slimming" that is happening is miners buying out most of the GPU supply before it reaches store shelves.

mihen

Honorable
Oct 11, 2017
I still don't know why the GTX 1080 would be affected. They aren't useful for mining, and they already have a high enough price tag to keep the cost down.

InvalidError

Titan

If miners are snatching 1080Ti for as much as $1300 and the 1080 can do 80% as good, miners will snatch those up too for as much as ~$1000, doesn't matter how much it costs as long as the all-inclusive (power, PC, GPU, PSU, support hardware, etc.) cost per MH/s is comparable.

If a new crypto-currency makes it worth the miner's while at $2000 per 1080Ti and the 1080 performs 80% as good in that hypothetical new crypto, you'll see the 1080 rising to ~$1600.

William_X89

Prominent
Mar 16, 2017
Damn mining *expletive deleted* driving up prices. I look forward to a day when the bottom drops out of all of these crypto-currencies.

Is all of that computing power still being wasted cracking worthless hashes or do any of these currencies do something useful with it?

xlr8htpc

Prominent
Feb 1, 2018
Now I have to buy an lga 2066?! Im really happy with my 2011 v3. I feel like I just got it. I just need a 1070ti for $350/4... please??

barryv88

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
What an absolute stupid idea for a bundle.... All the miners are gonna do is buy the combo to get their hands on the 1080's and then sell the mobos online and get $250-$300 back in the pocket.

Pompompaihn

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
Interestingly enough....if you're just in it for the gaming you're almost better off buying a gaming laptop....as those have no mining value and can't really be parted out, their prices have stayed fairly consistent during this whole debacle.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Even some of the high end desktop replacement laptops are reasonably priced compared to the desktop components at the moment.

Laptops and Boutique PCs are actually an option that makes sense for the first time in forever...

therickmu25

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
We've officially reached the darkest timeline when Pre-builts are cheaper than doing it yourself.

Anyway, my best advice for snagging a GPU right now would be to set 'Auto-Notify' for every 1070/1080 you'd be willing to buy. From the time you get the email it's back in stock, you have about a half hour to buy that GPU before it's out of stock.

I managed to get the EVGA FTW 1080 on Newegg for $600 last month doing this.

ghettogamer

Prominent
Mar 3, 2017
I agree with barry whats stopping the miners from taking advantage of this deal? retailers should register or track buyers and limit their purchase to 1 gpu per head.

sburns015

Prominent
Feb 2, 2018
About 2 weeks ago I got a Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming that came with an X370 motherboard for $749, sold the motherboard on craigslist for $100 and my Fury X on Ebay for $350 which is more than I paid for it on newegg in November 2016 so I'm really out only $300 for a 1080 LOL.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009

They aren't useful for Ethereum mining, but are still quite good at mining other coins with other algos.

InvalidError

Titan

The miners responsible for systematically emptying stores aren't going to buy 100 partial systems and then resell the parts for 84-86 of them (you need 14-16 to put all those GPUs in depending on whether eligible motherboards have 6 or 7 usable PCIe slots) at a loss (people aren't going to buy your second-hand parts if you're asking for more than the retail price with free shipping, which means you're eating shipping costs or taxes at the very least) to get 100 GPUs.

The MicroCenter deal isn't practical for anything but the most casual miners.

Zaporro

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014
Oh please, lets not even pretend that Newegg "cares for gamers". Those bastards are selling GPUs and adding as an extra "PCIE riser" just to cater to miners.

They are sitting deep in it and playing along the miners tune.

mihen

Honorable
Oct 11, 2017
Why wouldn't Newegg or any retailer be catering to miners? The ones who profit off it are the retailers. They see the extra money from marking them up and don't have to pay out warranties.

Status
Not open for further replies.