NEWEGG comes through 6 business days

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakenstein

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
A short while ago , I joined a post about Newegg because the price on the CPU changed from $ 149.oo to $ 246.oo after I purchased it for 149 bucks . ( Corn Electronics ) I thought that was strange so I was worried a bit , and I said that I will make a post of the final out come .
Well , the Box CPU came today , brand new, from China , to Edmonton , Alberta , Canada in just 6 business days so ,,, A OK for me . Right now im still using my old CPU ,, it still works ,, but is badly damaged from intense over heating !! Heat sink was clogged and the CPU was stuck to the heat sink , and just ripped right out of there ,,..I had to straighten 2 bent pins ,,, welll ,,anyway ...so ...there you have it . My first experience with Newegg and Corn Electronics has been a very good one !!! pssst its just that DHL delivery ,, Ive delt with them before once , and I know that they are very very FAST !!! and that I have to be present , ready , and waiting !! cause man ,, they come quick . I just came in from sitting outside from 730 : am to 2: 20 pm so I could catch them .. ya just gotta be up on those dudes . :)

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Looking at the A6 Corn Electronics listings on NewEgg, shipping is $30?
If so, you paid expedited shipping, not too surprising delivery times, although definitely on the lower end.
In all likelihood, the order would've arrived in Vancouver (probably) in a day or two. The first 10,000km was relatively quick.... It's the final 1500km that would've taken the most time.

Maybe I missed it in your other thread, but why did you pay $149 (+$30 shipping?) for an A6 chip in 2020?

Also, in this instance, NewEgg has almost nothing to do with this at all. They're utilized as a marketplace and nothing more, as far as I'm aware. Would be akin to "EBay item received in X days".... Unfortunately no set standard or expectation.

Blakenstein

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
They are the only place that has the chip. I just cannot get them anywhere else . Its not that easy to find anything for the fm12+ sockets these days . Yes I wanted to get the Athlon , x 4 , but it requires a card as well . They have a few in the A 10 series I plan on ,, but it was the best bet to first get the original A 6 , and keep the computer running , cause my damaged chip could possibly fail at any time . Now if it fails ,, I have a brand new back up , and not have to worry about bios updates. My system will see the same chip , and just say """ new chip - f1 to bios "" and then boot
Now I have the time and space to look at A 10s , and even find the right card if i want one . if something messes up ,, well then , I still have the
the A 6 to keep running .
The shipment did stay in China for quite a while between two different depots . That is what the $ 30.oo is for . ( Yun Express ) ,,,then DHL grabbed it and flew it to Cincinnati USA , cleared customs ,, and then straight up to Edmonton , for another $ 20.oo ..so they flew my chip around the world to get it to me ,, for ....$50.oo .
Yes the chip was sold to me by Corn Electronics ,, that then drop shipped it from China .
The chip was sold to me boxed ,, so with the chip tray ,, I also received a brand new heat sink with thermo paste and fan . :)

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
My point wasn't A6 over A10 or X4, it was a 'why' to the entire architecture.

IIRC, the A6's are dual cores, so you'd be better served by even the entry level Athlon GE's, for ~$200 all in, new... Which is pretty much what you paid for that A6.

Example:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Athlon 200GE 3.2 GHz Dual-Core Processor ($71.11 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M-HDV R4.0 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($98.05 @ Vuugo)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $219.15
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-12 10:51 EDT-0400

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
At least it was $200 Canadian! But yeah, brutal to spend that for an old A6; Barty's idea is much superior and I wish you had asked (or I had seen you asking) before spending this much to replace an ancient, budget CPU at this cost.

Blakenstein

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
OK , well , for one ,, Im not much into big time gamming anymore , as I have played alot of them, all that i do now , play some online crap , like loa2 , also some Alphawars ,, I have a Gun metal , that I have to start from scratch all over again ,, etc ,.. but recently , I tried the DCS flight simulator game , that to my surprise ,, ran well on the second highest graphics setting . My A6 7400 K ran the game ,, when some testimonials stated that the game would not run at all ,, and they had discrete GPU cards . , along with systems that were so - called superior to mine . I like the Kaveri APU yes ,,I agree , I would love to order parts and build a m4 board , but right now ,, there is just no room for that in my life ,, is all over the place ,, but if I did do that ,,,then it will be something far greater then what I have , other than something ,, in some ways , even lesser . ( I have 32 gigs ram , Kingston hYper x ,, and my A6 has 4 advantages over the 200 GE , where as the 200 GE has 3 advantages over the A 6 ,,,one of them being , "" energy efficient "" so that , is only 2 advantages , although the 200 Ge has 2 hyper threading per core and the A6 has only one per core.
Also , I dont use E -Bay anymore ,, they are great ,, but Paypal sent a notice about up dating accounts ,, and then locked me out of my account because my phone number changed , and now I have to call them . If I can run to the store here in town and get products without having to order them ,, I will do that first ,, and just getting a couple of ram sticks ,, will cost me well over $ 100.oo . As far as Amazon is concerned , I tried to start an account with them ,, but they said that there already is an account with that name ?? I have ordered mega parts from the States , apart from computers ,, and I know that after the shipping charges , there are also brokerage charges , and some couriers will charge big time money for that ,, like FED EX . for $80.oo worth of carburetor parts , I paid $ 60.oo brokerage charges . So , its not just finding the company that sells the part that I want ,, it is also what shipping company they use . All in all , I know that when I purchase something for $ 200.oo, by the end of the run , it will be a lot closer to $ 300.oo

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I've tried to read that, but you might want to try again...

I would love to order parts and build a m4 board , but right now ,, there is just no room for that in my life

And that's totally valid.

To play devils advocate though, I'd counter that if you have time/money to order a ridiculously overpriced CPU for 'if' your current chip fails and to post updates on a forum about it..... You could've built a new system, for similar money in that time you've already invested.

I have 32 gigs ram , Kingston hYper x

With an A6-7400K???????
Do you monitor utilization? Have you ever exceeded 6-8GB usage?

my A6 has 4 advantages over the 200 GE .

What advantages does an A6 have over even an Athlon 200GE?

Also , I dont use E -Bay anymore
As far as Amazon is concerned ,
So , its not just finding the company that sells the part that I want ,, it is also what shipping company they use

All in all , I know that when I purchase something for $ 200.oo, by the end of the run , it will be a lot closer to $ 300.oo

Not if you buy from a Canadian retailer? Admittedly, stock on some components is low at the moment.... but generally, you could buy pretty much any consumer level hardware by heading to MemEx. They're not always the cheapest, but they're not +50%.... and they pricebeat anyway. Take the $100 you saved and treat yourself to breakfast at iHop! 😂 (assuming you went to the 170th location)

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Yup, I can't see any benefit to the A6. It's faster at all compute tasks and it only loses to the FX-8350, in itself a lot faster than any A6, in very threaded workloads. And the Vega 3 graphics in the Athlon are much faster than the Radeon R5 in the old APU. It's ancient.

This would have been interesting for free. For this price, it's a trainwreck use of resources. Nor is an upgrade to an A10 the least bit interesting either; an A10 at best will be close to the Athlon in CPU tasks, but it'll also be behind in GPU things. I'm happy that you seem happy, but you did bring this up in a forum and it's quite difficult to simply not comment, when asked, about the terrible value you're getting here.

Blakenstein

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
I've tried to read that, but you might want to try again...

And that's totally valid.

To play devils advocate though, I'd counter that if you have time/money to order a ridiculously overpriced CPU for 'if' your current chip fails and to post updates on a forum about it..... You could've built a new system, for similar money in that time you've already invested.

With an A6-7400K???????
Do you monitor utilization? Have you ever exceeded 6-8GB usage?

What advantages does an A6 have over even an Athlon 200GE?

Not if you buy from a Canadian retailer? Admittedly, stock on some components is low at the moment.... but generally, you could buy pretty much any consumer level hardware by heading to MemEx. They're not always the cheapest, but they're not +50%.... and they pricebeat anyway. Take the $100 you saved and treat yourself to breakfast at iHop! 😂 (assuming you went to the 170th location)
ya thanks I will check them out !! the A6 runs at a higher frequency and has auto overclock , and manual over clock where you can set multipliers , and ram frequency ,, where as the 200 GE is locked out . the A6 also has comes with XOP instructions , and FMA4 instruction set extension enabled but will most likely never be used . any way the reason i posted in the first place is because i said that i would update ,, because I had just ordered , and I found posts about Newegg that were some what negative , and I added my 2 cents worth ,, about how they upped the price on the chip , just after I purchased one , and now im worried ,, but i will post the final results ,, good ,, or bad ,, I will post ,, cause it is only fair to everybody . . I ordered a chip from them , Corn Electronics , and it came . If I had not seen the Newegg posts in this forum , I would not have posted at all . Its just that I saw some raggin about Newegg that worried me even more .

Last edited:

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
the A6 runs at a higher frequency and has auto overclock , and manual over clock where you can set multipliers , and ram frequency ,, where as the 200 GE is locked out . the A6 also has comes with XOP instructions , and FMA4 instruction set extension enabled but will most likely never be used .

On paper, great.... but in practice, non of that matters.
Not trying to rag on you about it, but I don't see any solid logic in the decision, and feel you've just completely wasted ~$200 when it's all said and done.

Agreed with DSzymborski though - I'm happy you seem happy.

Its just that I saw some raggin about Newegg that worried me even more .

At the end of the day, nothing has any bearing on NewEgg through the discussion(s). NewEgg were a marketplace here, nothing more. Your experience should be the same if you order from Corn's NewEgg 'store', their eBay store, their Aliexpress store or their website directly.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
ya thanks I will check them out !! the A6 runs at a higher frequency and has auto overclock , and manual over clock where you can set multipliers , and ram frequency ,, where as the 200 GE is locked out .

Doesn't really matter. The Athlon does so many more instructions per cycle, which is why it murderizes the A6 in every activity. You can't overclock an A6 to be as good as an Athlon, so the fact that it overclocks isn't actually a point in its favor.

But again, as long as you're happy. But you did bring it up and it's impossible to not comment. Maybe not for you, but if someone else has a similar choice, we wouldn't want them to stumble upon this thread and think that picking the A6 is a good idea.

Reactions: Barty1884

simonyeeklang

Distinguished
BANNED
Aug 22, 2011
A short while ago , I joined a post about Newegg because the price on the CPU changed from $ 149.oo to $ 246.oo after I purchased it for 149 bucks . ( Corn Electronics ) I thought that was strange so I was worried a bit , and I said that I will make a post of the final out come .
Well , the Box CPU came today , brand new, from China , to Edmonton , Alberta , Canada in just 6 business days so ,,, A OK for me . Right now im still using my old CPU ,, it still works ,, but is badly damaged from intense over heating !! Heat sink was clogged and the CPU was stuck to the heat sink , and just ripped right out of there ,,..I had to straighten 2 bent pins ,,, welll ,,anyway ...so ...there you have it . My first experience with Newegg and Corn Electronics has been a very good one !!! pssst its just that DHL delivery ,, Ive delt with them before once , and I know that they are very very FAST !!! and that I have to be present , ready , and waiting !! cause man ,, they come quick . I just came in from sitting outside from 730 : am to 2: 20 pm so I could catch them .. ya just gotta be up on those dudes . :)

Have you consider using Arctic Silver Thermal Paste?

Status
Not open for further replies.