NEWEGG does not honor return policy on motherboard. Claimed "pin damage and thermal paste present."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 2, 2020
Newegg returns denied my motherboard MB replace request RMA. Newegg cited "pin damage and thermal paste present."

When I received the motherboard I inspected the socket pins. I contacted ASUS tech support and was assigned a service no. I verified with ASUS support that the socket pins looked OK. I used a magnifying glass to inspect all pins and they were OK.

Upon installation of all the components, the MB had a orange light indicating to troubleshoot the RAM memory. I installed 100% tested DIMMs in different configurations and still the MB did not work. Nothing appears on the monitor connected to the MB display output. Thus, i determined there was an issue with the MB, possible the circuit to the memory was the problem.

Newegg then emails me that the replace or return was denied. Upon contacting customer service via chat I was told "pin damage and thermal paste present."

First of all, there is no pin damage. I had concerns about this and had contacted ASUS already. I had indicated to ASUS that after viewing the pins with a magnifying glass, I saw no issues. Pins were not bent.

Secondly, thermal paste has to be applied to the CPU when installing the CPU cooler. If any thermal paste did remain on the MB, it has no bearing on the RMA. Of course, there might be traces of thermal paste, I have to install the CPU cooler onto the CPU in order to build the system.

Throughout the uninstall process I was very careful in removing the CPU. And used the placed the socket cover back on when I packaged the MB for return.

I requested a supervisor to contact me. I received an email that the MB was being shipped back to me before I could even speak to a supervisor.

i have all the ASUS service email documented by emails. The supervisor at Newegg denied my RMA after simply repeating everything that was already stated in chat. I even stated I had photos of the RAM memory LED light.

Newegg is using a fictitious claim to deny the RMA replacement of the motherboard.

Does anyone have a recommendation on how to get this resolved?

I will not be shopping with Newegg again. I had been a Newegg customer for over 10 years.

I will be pursuing this matter with the Department of Consumer Affairs, California. I will be contacting my credit card company in order to process a chargeback.

Jun 2, 2020
Correspondence with ASUS tech support is documented with emails. I stated in my emails to ASUS, the socket pins were OK after viewing with a magnifying glass. This was done before I even began the build.

I did not damage the pins during installation or removal. The plastic socket cover was installed immediately after the CPU was removed. I used the same packaging box and materials for return shipping. The supervisor stated the damage could have occurred during return shipping. How can socket pins (covered by a hard plastic protector) be damaged inside a shipping box with all of the original packaging material? It amazes me that a supervisor would even make such a ludicrous claim.

The issue of the DOA motherboard involves the memory DIMM circuitry. I stated I have a photo of the motherboard with the orange LED light on, along with all the other component LEDs (ARGB) lights being operational.

Newegg has used the claim of "pin damage and thermal paste present" with many other motherboard RMAs." Just do a search.

Why even use thermal paste present as a reason? Of course thermal paste was used to install a CPU cooler to build the system. In order to identify if the motherboard is defective, the motherboard has to be installed.

The supervisor and the customer service agent did not even listen to my stated reasons. All I heard from them was "pin damage and thermal paste present."

The return department can deny any motherboard RMA with this approach.

Beware of buying anything at Newegg. You are gambling.
I bought the motherboard, i9 9900K CPU, power supply and GPU from them.

I could have received far batter customer service if i shopped at Amazon.

My biggest mistake was to assume Newegg was an honorable retailer.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2020
You can also RMA directly with Asus as an option. They are generally pretty responsive.
RMA with ASUS requires that I pay for any repair that involves bent pin(s). I did not bend pins. I have installed CPUs before.

This RMA was within 30-days of purchase. Newegg should honor legitimate returns.

Warranty repair with ASUS requires that I pay for postage also.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
RMA with ASUS requires that I pay for any repair that involves bent pin(s). I did not bend pins. I have installed CPUs before.

This RMA was within 30-days of purchase. Newegg should honor legitimate returns.

Warranty repair with ASUS requires that I pay for postage also.
I understand, just offering that you have another option. Sorry for your hassles.

Status
Not open for further replies.