Newegg Rejects Best Buy's Copyright Infringement Claim

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

animeman59

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
My first and last experience with buying computer parts from Best Buy.

I walked into a Best Buy to get myself a new hard drive. I go over to the computer section, and because of the horrible layout, I didn't know where they kept the hard drives. Plus, I was in a hurry so I didn't have the time to just browse and look through every isle. So, of course, I asked a sales clerk where the hard drives were.

When I asked him about the location of the hard drives, he just givse me this big "uuuuhhhhh" stare back at me like I was speaking Korean. I had to describe a device that stored data on a computer. He then gets a big "oh yuh!" look on his face, and leads me over to......
RAM modules. >_<

I said, no. It's a device that stores and writes data on the computer so that I can retrieve it later. It's in the shape of a rectangle about 3 inches in width. So I get the "cogs are turning" look on his face, and then another "oh yuh, duh!" look, and then he leads me over to.......
DVD writers. >_<

Dammit.... This is getting me nowhere. So I said never mind, and decided to scan the area until I found the damn things. They were stored in the same section as flash memory cards, and blank media discs. >_<

After getting my damn hard drive, I purposefully walk back towards the sales clerk and wave the HDD box in front of him with a "This is what I'm talking about" look on my face. He then smiles and says, "Oh! You were looking for memory."

Dammit.... >_

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Worst Buy has failed on every conceivable level in the tech retail business... It hurts my brain to even think about it. When I first saw this commercial I laughed my butt off for a while just because of how true it was... as Newegg said it best "a commonly understood customer experience" , if Worst Buy took offense to it they must know it holds truth, theres no getting around that, they put their foot in their mouth.

-"Best Buy has spent many years building goodwill in its distinctive GEEK SQUAD Mark"
-"Given Best Buy's substantial investment over the years in building equity in these marks and trade dress"

How??? By hiring uneducated high school kids that know nothing of computers and will charge you a large percentage of what your PC is worth just to run a shareware version: antivirus / anti malware / or reg. cleaner, or do a defrag, clean temp file or internet history... give me a freakin break. Which I doubt they even do that much for their ridiculously over priced services.

And for the record if you get a job in or are working in a tech retail you should know this stuff day one or your in the wrong job, move over and let someone that knows what their doing earn a paycheck.

Go Newegg, stand up to these idiots, they need to be brought down off their high horse and stopped from praying on the ignorant.

G

All Best Buy's employees are non commission. Markup of 40% is only true on accessories. The markup on computers and hardware is maybe $30 on a laptop. They make all there money pushing plans and accessories. I should know because I worked for that shit hole. It's true that most of the guys I worked with didn't know shit about computers and would purely go off the info cards.

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
Bestbuys Geek Squad is the human equivalent of that unwanted Bloatware that come pre-loaded on new retail computers.

Newegg sells products at honest prices, give correct specs and has a nice web interface which provides good user reviews to research your purchase.

I fix my friends and families PC issues (optimize startup progs, software choices, etc) and when may friends and family start taking me for granted, I tell them to go to the Geek Squad. They get alot more appreciative after that, so the Geek squad does have its use.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]Doom3klr[/nom]I also filed out an ap and was yellow flaged because i didnt answer there dumb 50 minute online application the way they wanted it yet i know more than any salesman there and most of there techs and can run circles around there salesman. New egg has way better pc hardware and prices.[/citation]
Maybe they were tipped off to your complete lack of literacy by your consistent use of the word 'there' when you mean 'their'. They're two different words, each to be used in their own place.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]harrybojangles[/nom]...not treating us as machines just there to serve them what they need.[/citation]
Next time I'll bring you a snack and a little present, we can sit and talk about life for a while, and then we can exchange email addresses so we can remain 'pen' pals... What? You're there to 'serve them what they need'. As long as customers are not rude or mean, what do you want? Seriously?

jknouse

Distinguished
May 25, 2011
NewEgg forgot something else besides "no animals were harmed".

a) Batteries not included.
b) Do not remove tag under penalty of law.

lol

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
[citation][nom]LATTEH[/nom](best buy < new egg) && (new egg > bestbuy)1[/citation]

Thumb up if you think +20 is not enough. Please make it +99.

thegamersblog

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
The only "retail store" i've seen with decent employees is microcenter. At least the guys in the PC parts department can have a legitimate conversation with me on the parts I am interested in. While they can't always tell me what I want to know they generally are pretty knowledgeable and I've even seen them skip a commission to get me the right part. Because of this I've gone to them time and time again for random parts I've needed and asked for the guy who skipped the commision. This isn't to say there are some incompetent idiots who work at microcenter but the 3 diffferent MC stores I've been to I've only gotten knowledgable sales associates.

Anyone else had experience with microcenter?

Having said all of that I still buy new computers from newegg because their pricing is fantastic.

glasssplinter

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Same experiences here with them. Went in several years ago because of a sale on stereos and ask the salesperson if it can play CD-R's...blank stare...finally asked if they could access a computer and Google to find it out.

Another time overhead a customer wanting to record old records onto his computer and they had no idea what he was talking about or how to do it even though he was holding the software bundle in his hand.

Friend had an ipod that kept breaking every few months and they had the extended warranty on it. They took it in and all they did was restart it and say it's good. You don't think we already did that? The thing crashed again a few minutes later after leaving the store. Later finally get them to send it in for repair, faulty hard drive...

A neighbor bought a laptop from them and couldn't get the wireless to work so they call me over. I look at it for less than 20 minutes and tell them the wireless card isn't working, take it back. BB denies it and sends out the geek squad to her house. 8 hours later they verify the laptop wireless card isn't working.

Lucky for me I get some side business because of them :)

HMRkingpin

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
[citation][nom]hoofhearted[/nom]Bestbuys Geek Squad is the human equivalent of that unwanted Bloatware that come pre-loaded on new retail computers.Newegg sells products at honest prices, give correct specs and has a nice web interface which provides good user reviews to research your purchase.I fix my friends and families PC issues (optimize startup progs, software choices, etc) and when may friends and family start taking me for granted, I tell them to go to the Geek Squad. They get alot more appreciative after that, so the Geek squad does have its use.[/citation]

I say the same thing to my family and friends hahahaha :D Just like in your experience, they start to appreciate me again. The only reason geek squad and best buy make money is the majority of pc users are computer illiterate. People that know nothing are easily led by people that know very little. Also old school people like my dad who don't trust buying stuff online shop there. I hate having to go with him and talk to the most ignorant staff. Also telling him after every product he looks at, "you can get that way cheaper online"

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Best Buy belongs in the hall of fail. Their prices are definitely _not_ a best buy. Newegg +1

I shop at best buy to take a look at products sometimes but internet sales are far and beyond better than any sale BB has had in the past 10 years.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
[citation][nom]jimmysmitty[/nom]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Imag [...] s%20MediumThats what BB is crying about. Look at that and tell me how it even remotley looks anything like the Geek Squad logo.It does not. NewEgg has been around a very long time and has always been orange/white. Hell its in their company logo. This also has no shape. All it has is two words.I am not sure that BB can claim a copyright on the word Geek.I have a degree in IT Information Systems and over ten years of experience with computers. I build my own and know more than most computer geeks about older and current tech because all I do is read it.When I was out of work for a few months, BB wouldn't even give me a call. I had friends who were told they were too qualified for Geek Squad.Now I work at a local owned store and honestly, am glad I don't work for Geek Squad. Have had too many horror stories and misdiags to want to work there. One customer was told their RAM was bad and it would cost $250 to fix it.We checked it and it passed every RAM test we threw at it. All it needed was a reinstall of Windows which we charged $100.[/citation]

I applied for a job in a local computer store once and was denied because I did not have a wife and kids. And they said that the only thing they could offer me is installing RAM in PCs for minimum wage. I am glad I work at NEITHER. A computer store can be a good starting point for an IT professional but with the amount of knowledge I knew at that time (I can work on / repair anything x86) and the better knowledge I know now, I'm better off not working at a mom and pop store. They had a bunch of Russian immigrants working there because those people will work for peanuts. Just hope they don't get robbed by said Russians, can't trust them. But anyway I'd never apply to an independent again. They are not at all worth the time.

Btw if you have this vast amount of PC knowledge that possibly dwarfes mine, why aren't you working server room or some other higher paying job? Those mom and pop stores constantly go bankrupt and close shop. It is a sign of the times. We aren't living in 1995 any more.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]rooket[/nom]...They had a bunch of Russian immigrants working there because those people will work for peanuts. Just hope they don't get robbed by said Russians, can't trust them.[/citation]
You might want to work on your bigotry before entering the work force...

Best Buy's Geek Squad is run by the lawyers. They have to make it a cookie-cutter type of service that is consistent and exact over the 700+ stores. They also need the positions to be doable by the part time minors to avoid the added costs of full time benefits. This is also due to the high attrition rate. So what you get is their employees running through a check-list of run these spyware removal programs, run this virus scan, run this diagnostic, then check if it all works.

There is no commission so if you want to stand out amongst your peers you need to tack on as many services as possible to the sales of new pc's and ones carried in for "issues".

If you are running low on a popular model of pc, and a poor Mexican family is interested in purchasing it but without any additional services, it's in the store's best interests to sell them something they don't want, or to just send them out with nothing at all and hold the stock for a "better" customer.

Noone in their thirties+ wants to claim BB as their employer unless they're in management.

mchuf

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
I cringe whenever I listen to a sales associate at Best Buy talking to a person who doesn't know anything about electronics. Almost as bad as listening to a Game Stop clerk talking to a "soccer mom". UGH! I'm really glad that I have a Micro Center near me. As a matter of fact it's only a 1/2 mile away from the nearest Best Buy. Between Newegg and Micro Center I never walk into a Best Buy unless there is a seriously low price being advertised for an item I'm looking for. And often, Best Buys sale prices are still higher than Newegg's everyday prices.

I'd also like to add that Best Buy (website in particular) could learn quite a few things from NewEgg (and should).

BB's site displays inconsistent product information. Try to compare HDDs as an example. One product might list a few details while another may have none at all. There is no consistent format followed for product information.

BB's product images are for the most part horrible. Horrible is probably not a strong enough word.

On BB, if you post a comment about a product, they try to recruit you into answering other customer's product questions. I'm not talking about questions about the product you just commented on, I mean they literally try to get you to volunteer to answer questions about other products... seriously? These questions would largely be eliminated if like I said above, the pictures and product info followed some format that actually provided useful information.

Obviously, BB and I have some history and I could go on all day so I'm stopping here, lol.

mchuf

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
[citation][nom]aaron88_7[/nom]How could anybody post a comment from a Best Buy display computer? None of their display models are ever even working. Anytime I want to check out something at Best Buy I have to first fix the fucked up connections. [/citation]

Let me tell you a little secret. The iMacs on display are connected. ;)

[citation][nom]Kaiser_25[/nom]best buy and radio shack have people just like this working for them, they have no idea what they are selling, and OF COURSE they overcharge by an insane margin..[/citation]

It's true, I worked for them over the holidays as a weekend job to make some extra money and found that most of them have no idea about what they are selling. Being so into hardware I knew exactly what people should buy, but the managers aren't interested in you being honest with the customers they just want you to sell, sell, sell. Many times other employees came to me with computer questions because they didn't know. I was honest with people, (mostly when they weren't sure if they wanted to buy or if they could afford something) I just told them not to tell anyone or I would get in trouble. I was a terrible employee because I was knowledgable and didn't like lying to the customers.
1. I told people that the 54mbps Wireless G gives them is more than enough speed and most internet connections max out at 5 - 7 mbps unless they have the premium plan and that N only offers more range and other than that it's typically not worth the extra money.
2. I told people not to buy the anti-viruses they like to push so hard. I let people know about Avast, AVG and Microsoft Security Essentials.
3. I told people not to buy cables at Best Buy unless they needed them right away. I let them know about how a $60 HDMI cable was about $4 online and since it's a digital connection you don't need an expensive one. They work like a light switch, they're full detail high quality or nothing at all, same with the audio.
4. When people wanted to buy netbooks I told them that its a waist of money they could buy a full size laptop for the same price and have a computer that is WAAAAY faster and that they would be surprised at how slow the netbook is.
5. For Macs I always let people know that PC's at the same price would be much faster OR if they wanted the same system specs as the MAC they were looking at I let them know they could get it cheaper in a PC. When they said Macs don't get viruses I would just tell them that you can use Linux on a PC and almost never get viruses just like a MAC. And I would let them know that both MAC OS X and Linux were based on Unix. And best of all they could setup a Dual boot OS to choose Linux most of the time and still use Windows when they want to use a program that is only made for windows. But honestly if you are thinking about buying a MAC you likely don't have enough knowledge to setup a dual boot OS.
6. When people were going to buy office I let them know about Open Office.

Knowledgable people like me working at Best Buy are very rare. Because someone with my skills and knowledge can get a job making MUCH more money. You want good help? Ask someone in your IT department if they will help you pick a computer. At least then you will know they are not in it for the money or being pressured by thier boss to sell junk that people don't really need to buy.

I recently helped my mother-in-law pick a laptop. Core i5, 4GB of ram, 500GB HDD and less than 1" thick for a great price.

verbalizer

Distinguished
BestBuy hired then fired me for the in-house computer tech before the GeekSquad deal took off.
I got fired for failing drug test... :whistle:
Oooops.
I was in college at the time and just wanted to get my hands on the latest toys.
Oh well..

I now have a preferred newegg account... (and a degree w/ certifications...:D )
LOL.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Worst Buy sucks. Their stuff is overpriced and they have little selection. Their employees don't know what they're doing. Besides, Geek Squad is known for screwing things up. Now why were the store computers using static IPs that were conflicting the last time I was there? Come on, you idiots, ever heard of DHCP?

Worst BuyWorst Buy.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
[citation][nom]aaron88_7[/nom]How could anybody post a comment from a Best Buy display computer? None of their display models are ever even working. Anytime I want to check out something at Best Buy I have to first fix the fucked up connections. Then for shits and giggles I'll ask the salesman something way over his technical abilities such as "What version of Windows 7 is this running?" The only good thing about Best Buy are the laughs they bring to those who actually know something about computers![/citation]
They're too dumb to know what DHCP is. That's why many of the computers have conflicting static IPs.

Status
Not open for further replies.