Selfar

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
Build:

A little background: It had been over 10 years since I did a new build. So I'm out of the loop troubleshooting wise and haven't stayed up to date on my parts. Over the next few days I plan to troubleshoot with a friend. Hoping to find advice if not answers here.

It's been working perfectly since I built it in June. I had been playing Cyberpunk 2077. I was monitoring temps for the first few days and cut my monitoring off because the overlay was distracting. I never saw the GPU spike above 72 or the CPU above 40 or so.
The other night I was playing and the PC just turned off. Full stop off. Ever since then I cannot get it to display a thing. I've tried onboard and GPU. With and without the GPU installed.
Tried reseating RAM, powered down and clicked the cmos reset button on the MB. (since then whenever I switch power on the PSU the PC boots immediately)
I have a voltmeter for troubleshooting, but haven't looked into what I need to check yet.
One time I thought I heard a double beep, according to Gigabyte means memory issue. Then again it was not the familiar BIOS beeps I had been used to. I may have the MB speaker installed wrong. It's currently in the +/NC pins of the front/case pinset.

I'm currently at a loss. My friend is researching voltage readings tonight so see if it's a power issue.

Selfar

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
So if not misunderstanding the PC can get into windows. Or it kicks but still no display.
Not 100% sure. I don't even see BIOS boot screens. Monitor reports no signal on port DP1.

I know on older PCs if it didn't boot into windows it would power off or a single press of the case power would turn it off. I've definitely had to hold the power down to turn it off. So I assume it's getting into windows.
I'll try another test or two to see if I can confirm. I'm guessing having my speakers plugged in may help, but my TV was the last selected output. (have had TV and monitor used as displays)Not sure where it'll default with the HDMI unplugged.

Last edited:

Selfar

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
Upon further reading, the MB has status lights, which I could see because of the GPU. I booted with no GPU or RAM installed. The status light for the CPU is on. Meaning there is an issue with the CPU or possibly the MB.