[SOLVED] Newer laptop running very slow

Bill2002

Reputable
Jan 27, 2015
Hey all. My grandma gave me her old Acer Aspire R with an i5 6200u, integrated graphics, and 8 gigs of ram. Very solid machine, right? When I got it I immediately swapped out the old mechanical hard drive and put in my own SSD. Ever since the Windows installation the machine was very choppy feeling. Dragging windows, progress bars/circles appear to be moving at 15-30fps and the system feels very sluggish. I've tried everything I've had time for an truly exhausted my knowledge/options here.

Here's what I'm sure the problem is not:
-A virus/malware- I swapped the hard drive she was using for my own SSD. I actually tried two different SSD's and it's slow on both of them
-The SSD - It's a brand new Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD inside here, and it worked fine in the other system I tested it in. I am running a brand new installation if Windows 10, only program installed is Chrome.
Any help appreciated.

Solution
As mentioned above try bios reset, i dont have experience with acer laptops but if it is available try downgrading bios to earlier versions if its easy enough otherwise i would not touch this, i supposed you tried to clean out the laptop since you swapped drive but i would check anyways and i would also check bios CPU and power options since U processors can run at super low frequency in order to save power so i would check if they are not constantly slowing down.

Ordan

Commendable
Jan 25, 2017
As mentioned above try bios reset, i dont have experience with acer laptops but if it is available try downgrading bios to earlier versions if its easy enough otherwise i would not touch this, i supposed you tried to clean out the laptop since you swapped drive but i would check anyways and i would also check bios CPU and power options since U processors can run at super low frequency in order to save power so i would check if they are not constantly slowing down.

Solution
Jun 27, 2019
it's the processor: i5 6200u - it's designed to slow down on low power. my dell inspiron does this and i couldn't figure out why, i'm running 16gb ram and 256gb ssd, should be fast, but my i3 laptop was going faster... after a ton a searching i found it has something to do with the power. i either have to replace the power cable or the power jack...