Question Newly built computer will not power up. What is the issue?

Dec 1, 2020
I have built a recently new gaming computer. The computer will not boot up. I hit the power button and it does nothing, no moving parts, not even the PSU is on. I have checked the power supply to make sure it is on 1 when starting it up. I tried the one RAM slot, motherboard is on standoffs, all the plugs are in (motherboard, CPU, SATA, PCIe, case fans, CPU fans). I bought a new PSU thinking it was the old PSU since I tried the paperclip method and showed no signs of starting up. Now with the second PSU shows not sign of it working. I also made sure the power switch and the other case plugins are in the correct spot along with the proper location (+ and -). I am out of ideas. Can anyone please help since this was a hefty investment? Thanks

As a quick follow up, as no boot meaning that it is dead silence, no beeping, no case fans on, nothing is on.

Last edited:

Umeed

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2013
Speaking from personal experience....have you tried a different wall plug ? I didn't know it but the wall plug I used was dead (circuit blew) and I tried a different room and it turned on. Went to the electrical and flipped the switches and came back to the original room and it was working again.

Aside from that as Lutfij asked, please provide some more info.

Dec 1, 2020
Ryzen 9 3900X CPU
MSI Geforce RTX 2060 6 GB Gaming Z GPU
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB DDR4 3600 CL18 Memory
MSI MPG B550 Gaming Edge Wifi ATX AM4 Motherboard
Seagate 4 TB HDD
Crucial 500GB SSD
Cougar Panzer MAX ATX Full Tower
(1st PSU Cooler Master 550W Gold)(Modular)
2nd PSU Corsair CX750M 750W Bronze (Semi modular)

Dec 1, 2020
Speaking from personal experience....have you tried a different wall plug ? I didn't know it but the wall plug I used was dead (circuit blew) and I tried a different room and it turned on. Went to the electrical and flipped the switches and came back to the original room and it was working again.

To Umeed: I have tried three different wall sockets.

Dec 1, 2020
I would also like to add that both the SSD and the HDD do not have OS on them since I was hoping to boot up with the computer and then install windows (I have USB drive and windows key ready)
Another thing I have not tried is removing the CMOS battery but I doubt its an issue since the computer hasnt successfully booted up at all.

Umeed

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2013
I can't see anything wrong with the parts. The initial psu was a bit low for my liking but I don't think that'd be an issue overall.

And it sounds like you went through the pinned troubleshoot guide. I'm wondering if somehow your motherboard short-circuited, are you at least getting a light on the mobo when the psu is flicked on?..

Do you by chance have an area where you can set it up like a test bench, out of its case or another case to swap to just the primary parts to see if it turns on? I'm wondering if maybe the case has an issue with the power button itself.

Dec 1, 2020
I took out the GPU and messed around with the power switch plugin and tried in the two areas. It did nothing. I dont have a workbench currently. I will say however, when I turn on the PSU, there is no lights showing on the MB anywhere. All you hear is the flick on the PSU and the click of the power button that leads to silence since it doesnt do anything.

I am starting to think that the motherboard is fried somehow. Could it be a possibility? What do you think?

Umeed

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2013
Yeah if no lights are turning on for the mobo then I think it's certainly possible you have a dead motherboard. How long have you had it? If it's within the return policy period you can take it back and tell them it's defective (assuming no physical damage) they can't prove it stopped working from a short circuit or power surge so you should be able to replace it.