Question Newly Built PC, All good but Crashes every now and then....

Soj1337

Prominent
Aug 19, 2022
Hey all, newly built PC, Its my first ever build so im kinda unsure what else to do. It is 10-11 days old. Had 3 system Restarts/Crashes so far..... It has been really random and i cant figure out what it is, i can run my PC for upto 14 hours gaming without any issue then suddenly super random the next day it might Crash(Restart before i turned off Restart on system failure)... The event viewer just show them as Critical Kernal power 41 (63).
my specs are, 5600X, MSI Tomahawk b550 Mobo, MSI 240r Mag CPU cooler, 750 Corsair 80% gold PSU(Semi modular), 16GB 3600 Corsair RGB vengance with 18CAS and a 3070 Palit GPU triple fan in a Corsair 4000X RGB. Runs really well and Temps are solid so far, Around 50-60 degree's CPU and GPU TEMP 1 50-60 degree's and TEMP 2 around 65-75 degrees Peaks(my GPU has 2 temps for some reason in ICUE unsure if this could be a reason). Running Windows 10 & done multiple Windows updates.

Stuff ive tried.

Tried Fan settings on DC and PWM( Also when my Pump is set to Auto instead of PWM it makes a funny low processing sound every maybe minute or so, and usually only when idle, when set to PWM it doesnt make any sounds at all.. super strange)
Checked wiring and cables.
Removed a wall outlet adapter
XMP Turned on(Have not tried without actually?)
MSI Gameboost(CPU) OFF
Power mode Balanced
Have tested Resize bar in Bios, Crashed with both settings on/off
New BIOS update
Full windows and Nvidia drivers & mobo Drivers
Ran Memory test/cpu test in Prime95(not a very long test however)

This is all i can think of so far. It really isn't bad like i can bare with it as it does not crash/restart regular but i really want it to run smooth knowing there is no problems.

any ideas would be great, im half tempted to take it to a Computer Shop and let them check over the hardware or run some tests.

Last edited:
What is the model of your Corsair PSU and how old is it?

If your fans and pump are 4 pin connections they should be set to PWM, not DC or Auto.

New BIOS update, yes, ok, but what is the actual VERSION that is currently installed? And did you unplug power to the system, remove the CMOS battery and do a hard reset after updating the BIOS? If you did not, you need to do that. Sometimes remnants of microcode or previous CMOS settings "stick" unless you do a hard reset after updating.

BIOS Hard Reset procedure

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for about three to five minutes. In some cases it may be necessary to remove the graphics card to access the CMOS battery.

During that five minutes while the CMOS battery is out of the motherboard, press the power button on the case, continuously, for 15-30 seconds, in order to deplete any residual charge that might be present in the CMOS circuit. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

If you had to remove the graphics card you can now reinstall it, but remember to reconnect your power cables if there were any attached to it as well as your display cable.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP, A-XMP or D.O.C.P profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

In some cases it may be necessary when you go into the BIOS after a reset, to load the Optimal default or Default values and then save settings, to actually get the BIOS to fully reset and force recreation of the hardware tables.

Soj1337

Prominent
Aug 19, 2022
Thank you for your reply I will give that a try! As I definitely didn't do that.

The version of bios was the newest one in MSI bios downloads, 7C91vAB

As for the PSU it's Corsair tx750M.

Soj1337

Prominent
Aug 19, 2022
It is brand new out of the box, bought nearly 2 weeks ago.

Is there an easier way to update all my driver's? Or automatically check them.

To add, each time the crash has occured has been during a game, once when I had a game on the back ground and I was web browsing. If that narrows anything down

Last edited:
Never use automatic utilities for drivers. Always go to either the Intel, AMD or motherboard manufacturers website and get the correct drivers directly from the manufacturer. Same for other devices and peripherals too. The only exception to that, ever, should be when something is fairly old and you can't GET any other drivers that will work, then, you can maybe live with the natively supplied Windows drivers or lacking any of those, try to find something elsewhere, but for the most part, chipset, network adapters, audio controllers, graphics adapters and in some cases USB or storage controller drivers should all be obtained directly from the motherboard manufacturer, or AMD, or Intel, or in the case of graphics cards, Nvidia.

Soj1337

Prominent
Aug 19, 2022
I have installed what I can find so far, in going to see how it goes and if I get another crash I will do that CMOS battery reset.

It's just really weird can go for days with no issue at all then it's just one single crash and back to days of stable system.. so I'm not too worried but obviously been my first build I'd like it to be optimized properly :). Patience I guess!

Hey all, newly built PC, Its my first ever build so im kinda unsure what else to do. It is 10-11 days old. Had 3 system Restarts/Crashes so far..... It has been really random and i cant figure out what it is, i can run my PC for upto 14 hours gaming without any issue then suddenly super random the next day it might Crash(Restart before i turned off Restart on system failure)... The event viewer just show them as Critical Kernal power 41 (63).
my specs are, 5600X, MSI Tomahawk b550 Mobo, MSI 240r Mag CPU cooler, 750 Corsair 80% gold PSU(Semi modular), 16GB 3600 Corsair RGB vengance with 18CAS and a 3070 Palit GPU triple fan in a Corsair 4000X RGB. Runs really well and Temps are solid so far, Around 50-60 degree's CPU and GPU TEMP 1 50-60 degree's and TEMP 2 around 65-75 degrees Peaks(my GPU has 2 temps for some reason in ICUE unsure if this could be a reason). Running Windows 10 & done multiple Windows updates.

Stuff ive tried.

Tried Fan settings on DC and PWM( Also when my Pump is set to Auto instead of PWM it makes a funny low processing sound every maybe minute or so, and usually only when idle, when set to PWM it doesnt make any sounds at all.. super strange)
Checked wiring and cables.
Removed a wall outlet adapter
XMP Turned on(Have not tried without actually?)
MSI Gameboost(CPU) OFF
Power mode Balanced
Have tested Resize bar in Bios, Crashed with both settings on/off
New BIOS update
Full windows and Nvidia drivers & mobo Drivers
Ran Memory test/cpu test in Prime95(not a very long test however)

This is all i can think of so far. It really isn't bad like i can bare with it as it does not crash/restart regular but i really want it to run smooth knowing there is no problems.

any ideas would be great, im half tempted to take it to a Computer Shop and let them check over the hardware or run some tests.
Keep an eye on your temps. The MSI AIO have been having issues lately.

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech

Soj1337

Prominent
Aug 19, 2022
Temps seem ok, GPU sits around 60-65 while gaming. and CPU normally anywhere from 50 to 65 tops depending on game.

a little update its been nearly 2 weeks and so far no crashes, i have a feeling that after updating a couple of drivers i was missing(wifi, reinstalled Nvidia driver with fresh clean install and a sound driver).

Another big conclusion i think may have been RGB software conflicts... MSI Center (Mystic light) and Icue(Corsair) alot of the time i found my Ram changing colours alot randomly so after i stopped MSI center from loading and just using Icue ive had no issues with colours and crashes. This is just a feeling tho as i read up and watched some videos on RGB software.

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech