Mar 4, 2022
I got myself a pretty decent gamer PC in november, and the build was also done right... But i noticed that sometimes when i was installing games OR playing, the game would hard freeze or simply just shut down without warning. At first hand i thought it could be something related to the RAM or the CPU for it to happen during memory expensive installations, but it also happened when running games (with less frequency though).

My first try was to monitor the hardware via software to catch any possible anomalies with the temperatures, I was not able to notice anything different from normal, although I couldn't monitor the exact temperature just before the shutdown...

I tried running memtest and using the 2 memory sticks separately, but the problem persisted.
I tried to stress test the GPU for a long period of time, and it just ran like an airplane with no issues.
I tried stress testing the CPU as well, with no indicative of problems...
I tried installing a new OS, but it persisted shutting down while playing.

My last attempt was to send it to repair, and the guy was good on dealing with common issues or old PC parts, but seemed way unprepared to deal with my new computer... He said it was a PSU problem (it makes sense right?) so i sent it back to the store from wich i bought it and they sent me back another one. I installed it, tried opening a game and... It shut down.

I'm on the dark here, not only because i don't have any CLUE of what it might be, but i can't trigger the shut down on purpose to measure exactly what behaviors cause it to happen, it's not THE moment i open a game, its some (random) time after i do so.

It's worth to mention that i updated every software, every driver, everything i could.

SPECS

motherboard - gigabyte z490m
GPU - RX 6600
CPU - Intel core i5 11400
RAM - Corsair Vengeance 16GB (two 8GB sticks)
SSD - Kingston nv1 1TB installed on the motherboard
PSU - evga 80 plus 600w

BIOS on version F21
it also has a water cooler and 4 fans installed.

I was thinking of trying something on the BIOS, maybe reinstalling it or whatever... I don't actually know what i could change on the gigabyte bios though.

I also noticed that i can run it well if i only use it casually, but after i attempt to play any game causing a shutdown, the next time i boot in, even a casual use will cause the problem.

Is there any software, any tips, any ideas that i can use to diagnose it better?

EDIT: It was the PSU, it has 600W but it was surprisingly not enough... A 750W went fine.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? As for your build, might want to source a higher wattage, reliably built PSU for your build to rule out the PSU being incapable of delivering power when taxed/

Mar 4, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? As for your build, might want to source a higher wattage, reliably built PSU for your build to rule out the PSU being incapable of delivering power when taxed/

The version is F21