[SOLVED] Newly Built PC Restarting Randomly - Need Help Please..!

abielg

Commendable
Jan 25, 2021
Hi all,

Per the title, my newly built computer keeps restarting of it's own accord. When built it started up first time fine and for a day I had no issues what so ever. Yesterday evening I connected an Echo Dot via the motherboard Bluetooth, and after ~15 seconds of watching Netflix my pc just restarted randomly. This happened a further 3 times so I disconnected the Echo and voila! It was fine again.

Then this morning I attempted to load Warzone (no judgement) and each time I loaded, it restarted. I have use CPUID HWMonitor to check my temps and it's restarting at 57C on the CPU and similar on the GPU. After some fiddling I used GeForce Experience to force lower settings and enabled VSync at a forum posts request. This seemed to work.

However, I have now just tried to do something as simple as watch an online stream and my pc had the same restart issue. This happened again once I opened up Chrome and played the stream again. It also happens if I try to watch say Netflix and use the monitor audio via display port.

Some reading points me towards a PSU issue, but I have used OCCT to stress test it for 10 minutes and no issues present themselves. I then thought it may be the RAM, so I ran Windows Memory diagnostics and no issues showed again. I also used OCCT to stress test my RAM for 10 minutes with no error. A GPU stress test on OCCT for 10 minutes reaches 65C and also present no errors.

It may be worth mentioning that my Windows 10 shows as not activated even though it activated on first boot.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be and how to go about fixing this?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black 82.51 CFM CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard

Memory: Crucial Ballistix 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory

Storage: Western Digital SN750 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive

Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB XC3 ULTRA GAMING Video Card

Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Solution
The other thing I was considering was your gpu.
The aftermarket models have been more hit and miss this generation. The FE model is the most stable one this time around.

I suggest doing more tests with your old gpu.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I suspect drivers/software.
Did you uninstall the Echo Dot software as well? It should've installed its own driver(s) when you connected it to your PC.

Did you update the mobo's drivers since you got it? [chipset, lan, audio, etc... not utilities such as armory crate and AI Suite]

Did a Windows DISM and sfc scan? Perhaps Windows didn't install smoothly.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ndows-10-365e0031-36b1-6031-f804-8fd86e0ef4ca

Reactions: abielg

abielg

Commendable
Jan 25, 2021
I suspect drivers/software.
Did you uninstall the Echo Dot software as well? It should've installed its own driver(s) when you connected it to your PC.

Did you update the mobo's drivers since you got it? [chipset, lan, audio, etc... not utilities such as armory crate and AI Suite]

Did a Windows DISM and sfc scan? Perhaps Windows didn't install smoothly.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ndows-10-365e0031-36b1-6031-f804-8fd86e0ef4ca
Thanks for you response and help so far.

There is no associated software for me to uninstall as far as I can see, for the Echo Dot. I have checked standard uninstall and device manager.

I hadn't when the first crash occurred but have since updated all driver for my mobo. It still happens now that they are updated. I am still on the original BIOS version which is 0314.

Just ran DISM and sfc scan. It restored successfully and stated I had no integrity issues.
This seems to have worked initially as Netflix hasn't crashed me out when using display port audio or mobo usb as usual.

Will have to spend a few days to see if this is a longer term fix in any way. Thanks for your help so far.

Reactions: Phaaze88

abielg

Commendable
Jan 25, 2021
So the issue worsened today, with my computer straight up not outputting a display. Following this I opened it up, lay it it on its side and started to trouble shoot.

At first the light indicating the RAM was at fault lit up. So I tried a couple of different combinations, until one informed me that it was a GPU issue. Swapped out for my old GPU and it finally booted.

This didn't sit right so I tried the final few RAM slot config with my new GPU and it booted up fine. Now when swapping between RAM sticks, it either boots on the one or shows as an error on the other. Sadly I have no other DDR4 to try out.

The obvious next steps are to get a refund on the RAM. My question is, why did my system post and work with both sticks (utilising all 32GB) without issue?

Is there something I am missing here perhaps, say a MOBO/PSU issue? (I plan to run just the 1 working stick for a day or so to confirm my hunch.)

Thanks in advance to anyone with advice/help!

abielg

Commendable
Jan 25, 2021
Which combinations?
So I tried both sticks both ways round with no luck. Then I tried one in the slot my mobo designated for single use. This didn't work and flashed the GPU light so I switched out GPUs which booted.
I then swapped back GPUs and it didn't work. I then swapped out the RAM stick with the other one and this booted fine.
I tried each RAM stick as single channel multiple times, say 4 each. The same one worked and the same one didn't work each time.

I also tried the new GPU in my old PC and it worked fine.

1)You installed it correctly.
2)The ram isn't actually the source of your problem.
This doesn't make sense to me as:
  1. The RAM has only ever been installed in the correct dual or single channel slots
  2. It was working fine and then when the system wouldn't boot, the mobo pointed to the RAM as the issue
  3. One RAM stick seems to work in single channel and the other doesn't

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
So I tried both sticks both ways round with no luck. Then I tried one in the slot my mobo designated for single use. This didn't work and flashed the GPU light so I switched out GPUs which booted.
I then swapped back GPUs and it didn't work. I then swapped out the RAM stick with the other one and this booted fine.
I tried each RAM stick as single channel multiple times, say 4 each. The same one worked and the same one didn't work each time.

I also tried the new GPU in my old PC and it worked fine.
Ok, so defective ram stick. Time to RMA.

This doesn't make sense to me as:
  1. The RAM has only ever been installed in the correct dual or single channel slots
  2. It was working fine and then when the system wouldn't boot, the mobo pointed to the RAM as the issue
  3. One RAM stick seems to work in single channel and the other doesn't
'Twas me second-guessing as I didn't fully understand the ram situation - when I asked about the combinations you tried.

abielg

Commendable
Jan 25, 2021
Whilst I believe this is part of the problem, sadly my PC just restarted with just the one stick.

I'm starting to think it must be PSU related. Just seems weird that it's fine under 100% GPU and CPU load.

Thanks for your help so far.

abielg

Commendable
Jan 25, 2021
The other thing I was considering was your gpu.
The aftermarket models have been more hit and miss this generation. The FE model is the most stable one this time around.

I suggest doing more tests with your old gpu.
Good shout . Will See if I get another crash and try the old GPU after. RAM needs returning either way.

Thanks for your suggestions.