[SOLVED] Newly Built PC will not download Windows 10 off External Hard drive

Dec 27, 2019
Hello All,

I am new to building a desktop. My main issue right now is that Windows 10 will not download off off my external Hard Drive.
Initially when I put the parts together, everything was fine...the computer POSTs correctly and brings me to the BIOS.
I restart, with the External Hard Drive Inserted and ready to download Windows, it takes me to the AORUS logo screen ...the loading circle spins for a few seconds and freezes. Then my fans stop (with the exception of my CPU and Graphic cards fan).
I am frustrated because I am not sure what else I can do.

BIOS:
Fast Boot is Disabled
Boot Option is the External Hard Drive (UEFI OS)
CSM Support Enabled
LAN PXE boot Option ROM Disabled
Storage Boot Option Control: UEFI
Other PCI Devices: UEFI

Specs:
Mother Board: Z390 AORUS ELITE gaming motherboard
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Edition
PSU: EVGA Supernova 850 Gold
Storage: Toshiba P300 1T HDD and 512GB Inland Premium NVME M.2 PCIE SSD
CPU: Intel 9th Gen i7-9700K
CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Black Edition
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase H500

Solution
So the Windows Media Creator downloaded the files on your hdd (not an ISO) as it would a USB, to make it a Windows 10 installer? Again, I attached a link that shows how to accomplish this using an external hdd and Windows 10 ISO. However, if the WMC already loaded the install files, then you could probably skip that part. OTOH, If your install doesn't work, you may need to use an ISO.

BTW, since you are using a hdd, you might want to change the BIOS settings to legacy/ CSM mode, as your hdd my not be UEFI so the BIOS might not identify it in UEFI mode.
Dec 27, 2019
For those asking on how I installed it, I simply went to Microsoft and was able to use their Microsoft Media Creation tool to download and format my Windows 10.

Theoretically, I would only need to then just plug it in to the new build and it would boot and take files from the external HD to install the Windows OS...but then my problem happens.

So the Windows Media Creator downloaded the files on your hdd (not an ISO) as it would a USB, to make it a Windows 10 installer? Again, I attached a link that shows how to accomplish this using an external hdd and Windows 10 ISO. However, if the WMC already loaded the install files, then you could probably skip that part. OTOH, If your install doesn't work, you may need to use an ISO.

BTW, since you are using a hdd, you might want to change the BIOS settings to legacy/ CSM mode, as your hdd my not be UEFI so the BIOS might not identify it in UEFI mode.

Solution
Dec 27, 2019

Yes, the WMC was able to download the files as if it would for a USB, but I will take your suggestions and try them tomorrow and report back. Thank you