Question Newly installed M.2 not showing up anywhere! Pls help :(

Jan 3, 2023
I recently installed a WD_Black 1TB SN850X M.2 Drive. It is a Gen 4 SSD and my motherboard is a ASRock Z390 Extreme4, and on their website they state that the board is compatible with "8 SATA3, 2 Ultra M.2 (PCIe Gen3 x4 & SATA3)". As from what I have seen it should not have any compatibility issues but after I booted my pc up I could not find my M.2 anywhere. I tried going into BIOS, going into disk management, and even file explorer and nothing shows up. I've tried re-installing the M.2 as well but that didn't seem to help. I would try installing this drive on another pc but i do not have another computer I can test it on. Does anyone know what I can do?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums and a Happy New Year, newcomer!

What BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? Please list your specs to the build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
making sure to include any and/or all devices connected to the PC internally, like add-on cards/adapters.

Jan 3, 2023
BIOS VER: P1.90
CPU: Intel Core i9 9900k @3.60GHz
Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Extreme4
Ram: 32 GB (8x4) of DDR4 Samsung Corsair RGB Pro @3200MHz
SSD/HDD: Crucial 2.5 inch SSD (500GB) / WD Blue 1TB HDD
GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 Super
PSU: Corsair 800W
Chassis: NZXT H500i
Monitor: Sceptre 25" Gaming Monitor

randyh121

Prominent
Jan 3, 2023
I've tried looking for any options to enable it in any way but can't find anything
Disable UEFI and Enable Legacy/CSM Boot Support, or the other way around. Should be in boot settings in the bios or advanced settings. If that doesnt work, Enable UEFI and Disable CSM.
Those are the main settings you need to look for with m.2 drives, they can be a bit funky on needing them / not needing them

Jan 3, 2023
Disable UEFI and Enable Legacy/CSM Boot Support, or the other way around. Should be in boot settings in the bios or advanced settings. If that doesnt work, Enable UEFI and Disable CSM.
Those are the main settings you need to look for with m.2 drives, they can be a bit funky on needing them / not needing them
So I messed around in BIOS for a bit and this is what I was seeing, let me know if this is what you meant… View: https://imgur.com/a/ZjX1U3b

Jan 3, 2023
Your settings say CSM is enabled. Disable it, and switch out of Legacy to UEFI (if you have the option, do Legacy + UEFI. If not just UEFI should be fine)
If I turn off CSM, all of the other options go away. But I recently had a response from my motherboard company saying I should switch the drive out, because I shouldn’t have to mess around with bios settings because the board shouldn’t automatically detect compatible hardware which makes no sense because they didn’t say anything about my drive not being comparable with the motherboard…. So I’ll probably just return this one and buy one that they have posted as tested on their website

Jan 23, 2023
today Same happened with me :(
i bought new WD sn850x nvmv and install newly build system. Nvmv ssd showing in device manager or disk management.. but not showing in bios.. i check every where but not found pcie m.2 nvmv ssd.. then i try to install window 11 with bootable pen drive. But before window install i disconnect all hard disk.. then i start try to install win 11.. i click on win boot as pen drive or start process ( after update sata or raid driver) and found there is 931 gb new volume ssd space show i click this or install win this partion.. very quick install just in 5 min. After install win. I check read write speed its show 6980 read 6200 write..
now i restart window and check bios again.. i am surprise to see there is no nvmv found in configuration ..then i shut down my pc and connect 4tb data hard disk for data... or start system window start fine but data hard disk not detact.. i check bios setting but there is no sata hard disk found... i try many times but proble not fix then i re install win again to attach nvmv ssd or data hard disk.. in window installation process again system show no hard disk so i browse and update sata or raid driver with pen drive after update ssd or hard disk both showing.. i click on 931 gb ssd space or install window again.. after fresh install window 11, bios show no sata hard disk found...
then i start window or check in device manager there is showing 4 tb wd hard disk.. i check it in disk management but there is no disk found only c drive showing.. also try to update all driver wirh gigabytes conyrol centre but after 5-6 hours try problem not slove.. i am so tired and now i am fear my data hard disk is well or not :(
on the other hand i dont know new wd sn850x 1tb ssd is ok or not..?? problem with nvmv ssd ??? motherboard ?, bios ?? bios setting ??
My system is stopped and my all Clint work pending today.. if any solution so plz help me...

my system is
i7 13700k
Mobo. : gigabytes z790 UD AX (firmware updated)
WD sn 850x nvmv ssd
xmp 16gb ddr5 5200mhz ram
corsair 750watt p.supply
aqua 360 argb cooling
WD 4tb hard disk..

Last edited: