[SOLVED] NewPC- Random "shut downs" or game crashes

May 9, 2022
Hello folks!
New PC here: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/H7bhnL

Crashing and freezing randomly under gaming load. I have been PC gaming for decades, this is the most unstable system I have ever had, runs like a dream when running just having random issues.

I have had it about 5 months, cooling is good, and very stable when doing load tests on it (Prime, FurMark, 3dmark). I have argus monitor watching my temps and kicking on extra case fans as GPU gets hot- generally at full load of both CPU and GPU GPU is ~75c and CPU in the mid 60c. So I don't think is a heating issue, but happy to provide logs.

Some games more than other, but I just get random crashes- sometimes Windows will will lock up and I will have to hold powerbutton hard reboot- other times it will "click" off screen goes black but I can hear system still running and I have to manually power off. Other times, like with Warframe for example, its a crash to desktop.

When screens go blank, often times I have to turn off powersupply and when it comes up POST will go into safemode since it had a failed start. I enter BIOS, exit and boots normally.
I have made sure all my drivers are up to date..ect

My gut tells me my GPU or PSU is unstable or perhaps the built in overclock for the EVGA is having issues.

Certain games that are picky about overclocked GPU like FinalFantasy XIV seem to crash more(old crappier PC hardly ever crashed), but really its across the board wide array of games. During stress testing it handles fine, so I can only assume its random.
Any idea on how to start troubleshooting or narrowing down my issue?

Thanks!
I know this is a long post but wanted to give all the details :)

Solution
This is an ongoing issue across differing platforms and I'm following a thread at with exactly the same issue: View: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/k0ixp7/motherboard_showing_q_code_97_vga_led_on_monitor/

I'm also looking at the ROG website as there are others there with same issue.

I haven't experienced Qcode 97 myself however it seems to be GPU related.

OK so your Bios is up to date and your RAM tests eliminates RAM errors.

Try testing another Card in the PCIe slot and swap slots. Check your cabling and switch from HDMI to display port.
The only other suggestion would be to RMA the card.
Hi kertain(y)and Welcome to the Forum :)

One thing that can cause random reboots or shutdowns is RAM. It's a good way to start so run Memtest86 to eliminate that from the equation. Run 4 passes on all DIMMs and if any errors you know what the issue is.
List the P/N or SKU of your RAM.?

Is your Bios and chipset up to date?
Have you Overclocked at all?

May 9, 2022
Hi kertain(y)and Welcome to the Forum :)

One thing that can cause random reboots or shutdowns is RAM. It's a good way to start so run Memtest86 to eliminate that from the equation. Run 4 passes on all DIMMs and if any errors you know what the issue is.
List the P/N or SKU of your RAM.?

Is your Bios and chipset up to date?
Have you Overclocked at all?
Thank you for your help! I ran Memtest and it ran all test/passes and passed with zero errors
  • Memory:
  • -G.SKILL Trident Z Neo Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin RGB DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800)
  • Model: F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Update:
I do have a new symptom that cropped up last night. I was playing a game- system crashes to black screen (but PC "running") but this time it would not come back up.
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
  • I tried to restart, it didn't at all, so I opened the case:
  • Q-LED on the motherboard was showing a "white" LED which incidates VGA issue
  • Q-Code is 97 which is "Console Output Device connected"
  • *Looking online with several other people with GPU issues had similar error code, but that particular code does not tell me VGA issues other then the white led being lit up
  • I could not get it to boot up past that code, I moved the card to a different slot, tried different power connections, checked connections were all secure..ect
  • I realized that I could get it to boot if I waited a bit between tries- If I was booting to an error code no matter what I did or tried it would not go past it
  • I let it sit for ~5 min walked away it would boot no problem without me touching anything- I can even play games but once it restarts I had to let it sit if not it would not POST past that error code.
  • Note: I could not play much and wait to see if it crashed again- I did run a FURmark test for awhile at full load and got zero crashes (that is typical- crashes are random while playing games typically)
  • If I let it run for a bit, even in BIOS and restart it does not come up, same error code- I have to let it sit in-between power cycles for the card to get past that code.
I am having zero heat issues on that card according to ever temp gauge tool I run.

Any ideas?

This is an ongoing issue across differing platforms and I'm following a thread at with exactly the same issue: View: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/k0ixp7/motherboard_showing_q_code_97_vga_led_on_monitor/

I'm also looking at the ROG website as there are others there with same issue.

I haven't experienced Qcode 97 myself however it seems to be GPU related.

OK so your Bios is up to date and your RAM tests eliminates RAM errors.

Try testing another Card in the PCIe slot and swap slots. Check your cabling and switch from HDMI to display port.
The only other suggestion would be to RMA the card.

Solution
May 9, 2022
Thank you :)
I wanted to update in case this helps anyone else.
Talked to EVGA at their suggestion I moved the card to another older gaming system and the issue followed the card.

They RMAed the card via their Cross ship RMA program, I got the new card, and my problem went away.

Thanks for your help!