NexPhone: All-In-One Smartphone, Tablet, Laptop, PC

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZakTheEvil

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
[citation][nom]anastasios912[/nom]Cool concept but it'll be useless since the phone will die after about 6 hours of usage But seriously who gives a #@$% about these features or extra processing power if we can't even use our phones throughout the day. I know I don't. I'd be much more excited if Google came out and made a requirement for battery life on android devices...10 hours at least. Anything below that is just plain frustrating. Lately I've been going through 2 batteries a day on my galaxy 2, normal usage . Sometimes it's even on airplane mode. Insane. (I know that isn't normal, my phone has gone to hell but still, it was never great before)[/citation]

I guess the docking devices would provide power and charge the phone. I can easily go all day with a single charge with my iPhone, often more, and there are phones that can last much longer than the iPhone. If I could plug it in to various docks during the day, I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem.

ZakTheEvil

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]Imagine... ALL your data, your contacts, your work, your programs... on your phone.Then... imagine having that device stolen at school, gym, train, at work... etc... oops.[/citation]

Again, the docking devices could provide some sort of a backup too. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to implement. Even now, iPhones can backup to the iCloud so losing your files is much less likely.

nodoublestandard

Honorable
Sep 16, 2012
Nothing NEW at all. It is simply a display to a monitor or another display device.

Furthermore, It can not replay the PC/Mac since not all the PC/Mac software are supported by Andriod. This advertisement is completely misleading.

[citation][nom]guardianangel42[/nom]I was going to say the exact same thing. It's a great idea in theory. Absolutely horrific in potential practice. If this ever happened, it would ultimately work to further the cloud computing era because you would have to have all your data synced to the cloud in order to maintain a minimum level of data security. So in essence you would have a chrome book phone.[/citation]
use biometrics to lock the phone, and have a web interface/backup in the event of a theft or loss. Having a kill command like old cell phones had would be handy as well.

G

"Hardcore gamers aside,[...]"
And software developers, graphic designers, sound editors, gamers that are not mentally challenged by tetris-like games and basically everyone that knows the difference between a PC and a MAC.

I would like to know what would be the performance/price rating of a "smart" device with the performance of an i7 desktop series, the video capabilities of an HD 7870 and the sound quality of an Asus Essence STX... Ow, right! They don't/can't even come close to those specs.

anastasios912

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
[citation][nom]livebriand[/nom]Hmm... personally, I've found my battery life to be fine, and the Galaxy Nexus isn't exactly known to be good there. (that's the CDMA one though - I have the GSM version)[/citation]

I have the CDMA version (typically worse in the battery department, correct me if I'm wrong) and perhaps I use my phone more. But surely you'd agree there's definite room for improvement, right? As far as performance goes practically all phones can be considered 'super' phones, they have virtually no lag for regular tasks and can even output pretty decent 3D graphics for games. It's time they stop upgrading the hardware with additional cores and start optimizing the operating system

G

as much as I hate to say it, I cant see anyone with the ecosystem support to pull this off, other than......apple :(. I like linux, but i dont think its easy to use, and most people will be happy with an osx version of this, which seems like the direction apple is going anyway with mountain lion, whihc is more ios like.

Status
Not open for further replies.