Next-Gen 3D Rendering Technology: Voxel Ray Casting

Status
Not open for further replies.

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
This stuff is pretty interesting but a little over my head. The only thing I really care about is when we will start seeing this in our games.

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
This is awesome, the people that can really gain something here are amateur filmmakers that can't afford the giant rendering farms big studios have! :)

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
[citation][nom]the_krasno[/nom]This is awesome, the people that can really gain something here are amateur filmmakers that can't afford the giant rendering farms big studios have![/citation]
I meant independent, not amateur. Sorry.

G

personally i like raytracing, except for the performance issues. if you've ever tried doing a little 3d rendering, ray tracing is very good, makes things look very real if done properly. again i know it is slow

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Very interesting stuff, I do understand how limiting cubes or voxels can be limited in terms of depth and height(same height per distance) as polygons have that advantage where the triangle gives us just that, an angle that can be measured in terms of height and distanve. We have a vanishing point with a triangle as well.....

Iwonder if they can impliment both polygons and advanced cubes with different sizes for the initial layers creating a more fluid and complexed scenario or landscape........

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Interesting but voxels will have some extreme performance and space constraint hurdles to overcome before they become the main rendering of any game. I just downloaded a small demo http://www.advsys.net/ken/voxlap/voxlap03.htm its a little over 500K for the whole works but after you hit the genall batch file (it speeds up loading) the thing occupies about 120MB's of space for this simple game. Something like Quake 3 would have been a multi DVD file...

G

In the regular resolution 12x12 you get 144 cells instead of 122 as stated in the text

fatedtodie

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
Based on John Carmack's record if he says it is bad... you should do it, seeing as anyone with a memory will recall the time he said multi-core was a waste of time and we should continue the Ghz race (even those the Ghz race achieved Moore's Law).

John Carmack is a dinosaur and will try any new technology if paid enough (see his changing his mind on multi-core to "help" on the xbox 360).

Please get an expert that isn't a moron.

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
“pixel” is a fusion of the terms “picture” and “element,”, learned something new.

But i wouldn't want destructible walls. How am i going to camp when all the walls are gone?

manwell999

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
Since when does a tree have attached children?
It's unfortunate that the example of MRI scan example was used. Medical software must avoid the habit of naming branches in tree structures as children, lest an error message is displayed accidentally to a patient such as "Out of memory allocating children, child process aborted." Which would be a lawsuit if scanning a pregnant female. But this bad coding practice is quite common.

JimmiG

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
[citation][nom]fatedtodie[/nom]anyone with a memory will recall the time he said multi-core was a waste of time and we should continue the Ghz race[/citation]

Well, back in the day, everyone was talking about higher GHz as the solution to everything. Even Intel did:
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1026758/desktop-chips-hit-15ghz-2010
"LUCKY PUNTERS WILL BE ABLE TO BUY 15GHZ INTEL CHIPS, containing a billion transistors, by the end of the decade, said Pat Gelsinger, Intel veep and CTO in his keynote at the Intel Developer Forum in Tokyo today. Gelsinger also predicted that PDAs will hit 5GHz in the same timeframe. It's unlikely the chips will use the existing Pentium 4 architecture which is reckoned to only be good up to around 10GHz. "

Then Intel hit the thermal/power wall some time in 2004-2005, before even making it to 4 GHz. This of course signaled the end of such optimism. If that hadn't happened, higher clock speeds would still have been the best way to make faster CPUs. That makes all code run faster, not just code that is carefully optimized to extract parallelism. Multi-core CPUs for desktops and laptops initially came around not because it was the best choice for improving performance, but because it was not possible to further increase clock speed.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
[citation][nom]kikireeki[/nom]What happened to Normal Mapping?[/citation]

Hmmm maybe using a skin of voxels on top of a polygon mesh would be good for facial animation stuff, that sounds interesting to me or a mesh of polygons on top of the voxels for deformation purposes. Ok my mind is officially fried you may all proceed to LOL at me :)

G

I wrote my own implementation of SVOs on D3D10 pixel shaders. It's a very long loop.. The biggest problem I see is animation - you really can't do skeletal animation or anything else compact with this system. And it really is very very slow. I think Adaptive Tetrapuzzles for geometry and page tables for textures will be the way forward for massively detailed models.

hannibal

Distinguished
Well I remember the Outcast and other voxel based games from that time period. They were really nice looking and I was sure, that they will be the next big thing... and what happened, allmost nothing untill this. I even wrote to MS (when I was much younger and more naive), that next DX version should allso support hardware accelerated voxels...
Well as everynone knows, there has not been spesific voxel support in any DX-version. But now dx11, that brakes some boundaries between CPU and GPU, may actually bring that closer? I am not sure, based on this article, if GPU can help CPU in this very CPU bound way of making craphic. If anyone can enlightment this aspect, It would be a great interest in my opinion.

Soul_keeper

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
I Believe the calculation at the bottom of page 3 is slightly off.
each component of a RGBA value takes more than 1 byte a piece (3 bytes)
so, if i'm not mistaken, instead of 4 it would be 12 for a 1024x1024x1024x12 = ~12GB calculation

Status
Not open for further replies.