Next-gen Mac Mini Shown on Video

Status
Not open for further replies.

waffle911

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
tipoo, the Mac Mini should be compared to the Dell Hybrid Studio Desktop, which was introduced less than a year ago. The Dell vastly outperforms the Mac Mini for the price, but the Mac Mini has been sitting neglected since its last update in 2007—at which point in time its performance matched its only competitor, the ultra-slim desktop offered by Shuttle at the time, and at a similar price point. An updated Mac Mini should be able to compete with the Dell if its going to be priced similarly, but if it goes to the Ion platform then its price should definitely drop.

anon11112

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
both the mini DVI and display port adapter.. Two monitor support? One can only hope. Also hoping Processor will be simmilar to MacBook and not be using the atom processor.

mrubermonkey

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
This new Mac Mini will have less computing power in terms of CPU then its old brother since it will be mobile Core 2 vs. Atom. Granted, the new Mac Mini will far supersede the GPU capability of the older Mac Mini with its new chipset. Stupid of Apple not to wait for the mobile Nehalem to come out. That is assuming the rumors are even true though. If Apple keeps the same price structure for this new Ion based Mac Mini, they will be able to reap huge profit margins considering how cheap it is to build on an Ion platform and knowing them that would sound like something they would do.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
do you think that at $600 to $700, the new Mac Mini would still be too expensive?
After a quick look at Newegg, I can get an Atom processors with a motherboard for $70-$120. I'm not sure what ION will cost, but I doubt it will cost $400 just for the mobo.

Regardless of the economic times, I'm not going to pay $400 to $500 dollars more than the parts are worth just so they come in a shiny plastic case.

G

According to posts on this very site, the Ion platform should cost about 50$ more than the Intel chipset. So according to Tindytim's figures, the hardware cost should be in the 120-170$ range. Of course, you could argue that they use some other "premium" components so you could say that it may cost up to 250$ in parts (and that's pushing it).

600$-700$ range will probably the price you'd expect to pay for a similarly top-of-the-line netbook, not a desktop version. It will be very interesting to compare this computer to the non-Apple desktops when they come out in the summer (again according to rumours on this very site).

Its still quite a leap of fate to spend this amount of money to experiment with Mac OS if find. The religious followers of the Apple cult will probably find the price acceptable, however.

Nik_I

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007
if it costs more than $300, i won't even consider it. if it's ion/atom based, they can't seriously think about selling it for the same price the current mac mini's go for. but i don't think apple would be dumb enough to make that much profit off of it. anyone at all familiar with what the atom cpu is, and who knows how much a netbook costs wouldn't pay much for this thing. after all, how could it cost more than a netbook if it doesn't even have a screen, keyboard or trackpad along with it?

JimmiG

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
No nettop based on the Atom is worth more than $400 absolute maximum IMO, no matter who made it. The CPU just isn't fast enough to justify a higher price. We're talking performance similar to a 1 GHz Pentium-M chip here.

Joe_The_Dragon

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
[citation][nom]Tindytim[/nom]After a quick look at Newegg, I can get an Atom processors with a motherboard for $70-$120. I'm not sure what ION will cost, but I doubt it will cost $400 just for the mobo.Regardless of the economic times, I'm not going to pay $400 to $500 dollars more than the parts are worth just so they come in a shiny plastic case.[/citation]
Just buy os x and hack it on to your own pc.

$600 for a Atom knowing apple it may be 1 gig ram / slow small HD maybe even intel gma 950 with the $800 with 2gb and 9400M useing system ram. But that is unlikely.

Joe_The_Dragon

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
[citation][nom]Tindytim[/nom]After a quick look at Newegg, I can get an Atom processors with a motherboard for $70-$120. I'm not sure what ION will cost, but I doubt it will cost $400 just for the mobo.Regardless of the economic times, I'm not going to pay $400 to $500 dollars more than the parts are worth just so they come in a shiny plastic case.[/citation]
Just buy os x and hack it on to your own pc.

$600 for a Atom knowing apple it may be 1 gig ram / slow small HD maybe even intel gma 950 with the $800 with 2gb and 9400M useing system ram. But that is unlikely.

deredita

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
There is not a chance in hell that this would be based on the ion chipset. That is a terrible rumor. Traditionally, the Mini has been based off of the Macbook, and there is not a reason why this won't be either. Expect it to be 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB DDR3, nVidia 9400M.

jsloan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
man is it ugly and far too expensive, if it's based on ion is it then intel atom? if so, very sad. i was hoping quad core...

ispyamoose

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
Ugly and unnecessary. When will companies figure it out that now is the wrong time to release new products? Save your pennies.

radguy

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
Apple doesn't downgrade a product and charge the same for it. Its always how do we make it cooler so everyone pays top dollar for a high end tech product. Ion based mac would be different product all together and just like a netmacbook it going to happen anytime soon. Apple has a put a firm statement out that they aren't apealing to the low end or midrange of the computer market.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]radguy[/nom]Apple has a put a firm statement out that they aren't apealing to the low end or midrange of the computer market.[/citation]
Exactly. They charge high-end prices for low-end products.

G

I love Apple. They make products to identify folks with no brains. Even better is seeing a "proud" mac owner; its like seeing a smirking mentally challenged person looking over showing their new toy.

crom

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
Why go with mini-DVI? Apple should just slap an HDMI port on it. Then when they update the Apple TV, which is pretty much the exact same thing, it may end up being a useful piece of technology.

mbmcavoy

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
I believe that Apple would use Ion as an update to the AppleTV, but not to the Mac Mini. The Mini should be getting the same Core 2 Duo/9400M platform as the MacBooks; that will be needed to take full advantage of Snow Leopard.

My new XBox 360 means I no longer have a use for a Windows machine at home. (Thanks, Microsoft!) A proper Mini Update preloaded with SL later this year could be awfully tempting as a replacement for my old desktop.

If Apple were to merge the AppleTV and Mac Mini, it would look more like the AppleTV. This ain't it.

Status
Not open for further replies.