Question Next GPU Upgrade?

PsychoPsyops

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
Hey all,

I currently have an i7-12700K 3.60 CPU and an RTX 2080 TI, used for gaming on 4K 3840x2160.

I was wondering what the best choice for my next GPU upgrade would be.
I saw the RTX 3080 has no general bottleneck with my CPU. However, the small performance increase does not seem worth the price that has not decreased much over the months. Should I just wait until the 4080 decreases, or wait even more? Do not feel right paying more than $400 -$500 for a gpu anymore.

I currently can sometimes run a steady 60 fps, but not consistently and definitely not with raytracing or mods.
Newer games on max settings dip to 45 or 50 fps frequently.

Thoughts?

Thank you.

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
what is your budget? my advice is don't buy current-gen NVidia. The best price to performance GPUs is last-generation Radeon. Even though I know you don't want to spend more than $500, If you were willing to splurge you could get a 7900xtx and you would be set at 4K. Ray tracing performance is similar to a 3090. You could also get a 6800 xt or 6800 for $500 or less.

Reactions: Nexus713

PsychoPsyops

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
what is your budget? my advice is don't buy current-gen NVidia. The best price to performance GPUs is last-generation Radeon. Even though I know you don't want to spend more than $500, If you were willing to splurge you could get a 7900xtx and you would be set at 4K. Ray tracing performance is similar to a 3090. You could also get a 6800 xt or 6800 for $500 or less.

Well, I’d prefer to stay with nvidia. And I don’t care about ray tracing. Do you have to splurge to get 60 fps at 4K on ultra settings, though? That is my only goal right now, and I don’t believe I have to pay more than $500 unless every gpu is now overpriced. However seeing as how a 2080 ti can’t even do that, it is looking like that is the case.

Aug 27, 2023
Well, I’d prefer to stay with nvidia. And I don’t care about ray tracing. Do you have to splurge to get 60 fps at 4K on ultra settings, though? That is my only goal right now, and I don’t believe I have to pay more than $500 unless every gpu is now overpriced. However seeing as how a 2080 ti can’t even do that, it is looking like that is the case.

Usually when people choose Nvidia in this generation of GPU’s it’s because better Ray Tracing performance or CUDA/AI.
If you don’t care about Ray Tracing performance, only 4k on ultra matters then go for RX7900XT or XTX.
You won’t get graphic card for 500$ or less that can do 60fps 4k Ultra in all new (and upcoming) games.

I guess the cheapest option from Nvidia that can handle your requirements would be RTX4080.
I was thinking about RTX4070Ti but it’s 12GB VRAM might be bottleneck in some games and definitely will require upgrade in 1-2 years for new releases.

PsychoPsyops

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
I guess the better question is, will we ever see gpu prices go back down to their original range that they had before cryptomining blew up? Or is this the new norm until the off-chance that cryptomining becomes illegal?

I currently can sometimes run a steady 60 fps, but not consistently and definitely not with raytracing or mods.
Newer games on max settings dip to 45 or 50 fps frequently.

Thoughts?
My thought is that if you want 60 FPS at 4K with RT, you're going to be looking at far more than $500. The only card that can do that with any level of consistency is the RTX 4090 and even then...
RT_1-p.webp

Worrying about RT at 4K is a fool's errand at the moment unless you have $1600USD (+applicable taxes) burning a hole in your pocket. I bought a high-end card because I know that another AI-caused GPU shortage is coming and I want to ride it out. That's why I bought an RX 7900 XTX. It has 24GB of VRAM like the RTX 4090, is second only to the 4090 in gaming performance and any card not called the RTX 4090 has terrible RT resiliency at 4K (and even the 4090 ain't that great!).

The RTX 4090 is, admittedly a whopping 24% faster than the RX 7900 XTX but it's an even more whopping 71% ($670) more expensive. The RX 7900 XTX is 2% faster than the RTX 4080 (essentially tied), has 50% more VRAM but the RTX 4080 costs 15% ($140) more.

RT is kinda cool and all, but it's just not worth the extra cost, especially when so few cards can actually use it properly (without crutches like DLSS, FSR or XeSS) so I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.

Reactions: Order 66
especially Minecraft RTX where it is a night and day difference. I suppose you could make the argument for Portal RTX as well but good look running it.
Well yeah, but those are two games that were essentially written by nVidia and they're only two games. I find it interesting that any game nVidia had a hand in creating has RT so intense that it not only handicaps Radeon cards, it also handicaps GeForce cards.

It's the same shenanigans they pulled years ago with Hardware Tessellation. They cranked it up to insane levels because Radeon cards were more impacted than GeForce cards. Just like today though, they cranked it up so high that even GeForce users felt the sting.

If a game's RT can crush an RX 7900 XTX, then it also crushes the RTX 3090. I wonder how the people who paid that insane amount for the 3090 feel about that.

PsychoPsyops

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
Not necessarily a scam, but sometimes not worth the expense.

It actually is a scam, because the companies are selling an unnecessary feature, whilst making it impossible to acquire said feature without spending thousands of dollars. Not to mention the overpriced cards with false advertisement via benchmarks.

TRENDING THREADS