Next Half-Life Won't Change Gordon Freeman

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pojih

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
honestly, the only franchise that I have loved every minute of is/was half life.

Something about everyone talking to YOU - thats what its about, if I wanted the person I'm playing to talk, I'd rather watch a movie

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Most of what I've seen to date has been gimmicky and is entertaining for just a minute or so
This is obviously a sly dig at Duke Nukem and his repertoire of witty observations. Probably a good idea they leave the talking to the man who kicks ass and chews bubble gum.

cptnjarhead

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
I agree... the player is "Gordon Freeman"
Maybe Valve could put voice recognition software in the next installment so the players could vocally interact... then we would truly be "Gordon Freeman"

Steven Bancroft

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
I really hope Gordon never does get a voice. That being said, who would be the best voice (at least what you image he sounds like in your head)?

I always think of Tom Hanks

thearm

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
I stopped playing Half Life 2 when I realized you couldn't shoot the cops or your friends. Not that I do that, but I want the option to be there. I like the environment a interactive as possible.

bogcotton

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
[citation][nom]myriad46[/nom]Has anyone gotten HL2 to work on Windows 7? I can't seem to get it to load.[/citation]

Yup, I installed it from the orange box, steam did its thing and it works fine, all episodes.

What version is it?

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]aethm[/nom]I usually don't like it when they give protagonists voices. How about a silent, but choice based communication system, like Dragon Age.[/citation]Sounds like it would work pretty well although I think it would put too many twists into an already twisty game. Don't you think?

FrPSh

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
As everyone else seems to agree, the player becomes Gordon Freeman. A big part of what made this game so immersive was having Gordon be the silent scientist he was. I think this is probably my favorite game ever. I can't wait for Episode 3.

G

"I stopped playing Half Life 2 when I realized you couldn't shoot the cops or your friends. Not that I do that, but I want the option to be there. I like the environment a interactive as possible."

You can shoot the cops, and shooting your friends would ruin the... heroicness and narrative of Half-Life. I mean seriously, I don't think they'd be worshipping this guy if he went killing them all. Its not an RPG where you can just do whatever you like, its Half-Life.

Status
Not open for further replies.