Next iPhone Could Get Get In-Cell Touch Panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

DroKing

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
ummm I am speechless at all this Apple loving articles. However its a cool tech in general though but not when its used for an apple product. ^_^

christarp

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
[citation][nom]DroKing[/nom]ummm I am speechless at all this Apple loving articles. However its a cool tech in general though but not when its used for an apple product. ^_^[/citation]
Are you serious

DroKing

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
yes I am dead serious. I may be completely biased with hate toward Apple products but its for a good reason. I hate closed ecosystems period.

face-plants

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Innovative new tech is good no matter how great or garbage the final products are that it is used in. Thinner screens with touch sensing built right into the pixels basically, being made by multiple companies and more developing them will benefit far more techies than just iPhone users.

fudoka711

Distinguished
[citation][nom]face-plants[/nom]Innovative new tech is good no matter how great or garbage the final products are that it is used in. Thinner screens with touch sensing built right into the pixels basically, being made by multiple companies and more developing them will benefit far more techies than just iPhone users.[/citation]

I agree with this. we're finally seeing a bigger leap in hardware in apple products. There hasn't been that much of a difference in apple hardware in the past few years besides beefier, more efficeint processors. I don't think the battery tech has gotten that much better (apple's is already hecka good though) and the device hasn't actually gotten more compact. Having a thinner screen is definitely an improvement I like to see.

What I don't really think is great is putting 3D technology into something so tiny. Make holographic, 360 degree images that pop out and you can interact with - and then I'll be impressed by 3D tech, no matter how big or small the "screen."

archange

Distinguished
May 7, 2007
[citation][nom]face-plants[/nom]Innovative new tech is good no matter how great or garbage the final products are that it is used in. Thinner screens with touch sensing built right into the pixels basically, being made by multiple companies and more developing them will benefit far more techies than just iPhone users.[/citation]

Just as long as they don't patent it as revolutionary and start suing everybody all over again.

impreza

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
unless it means they can make the battery twice the size doesn't sound like anything amazing. I don't get why phones need to be so thin, just makes them a pain to hold to talk on.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]impreza[/nom]unless it means they can make the battery twice the size doesn't sound like anything amazing. I don't get why phones need to be so thin, just makes them a pain to hold to talk on.[/citation]
Size and weight make a phone less comfortable to carry in a pocket on your body, be it in your trousers or jacket.
I've never experienced thinness being a problem when holding a phone.

I don't understand why people like those ginormous 4.5" smartphones. They are uncomfortable to wear and uncomfortable to hold & operate with one hand.
A smartphone the same size as the iPhone but slimmer would be a pretty good form factor IMO.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
The result would be a substantially thinner smartphone and alternatively more room for hardware and new features, which could allow Apple, for example, to design a layered 3D display.

It was about time. Maybe they will muster the courage to created a larger less coffin-like phone. Hopefully they won't be using the hyped retina display Samsung manufactures for Apple and will focus in creating a more modern screen with a better viewing angle and gamut. Surely that will save alot of power. It would be nice if they also put a micro-sd slot. As it is now the iPhone is so sooooooooo retro. I guess I am spoiled with my Samsung Galaxy S2, but at the same time I am worried about the Samsung Galaxy S3 coming out in May 3--cause if it ain't what I am expecting I will be ditching Samsung and want more choices---so far the top of the line Motorola and HTC phones don't impress me; yeah they are more impressive than the iPhone 4s, but so are so many other phones, even the Nokia Lumina 900 runs circles around it.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Yes I am dead serious. I may be completely biased with hate toward Apple products but its for a good reason. I hate closed ecosystems period.

I think that as the pool of Apple users becomes more sophisticated, less zombie like, and able to make tech-intelligent decisions freely, Apple will have to open up a bit. Right now stepping into the Apple eco-system is like being confined to a jailed-in rose garden populated by inyourface frenzied zealots. In my estimate Apple is a good study in mass defrauding and hype. Apple is what happens when people are not doing their homework in an age of massive technological development. Yeah Apple is a threat to the unfolding of technology and certainly has dragged its march down, but I think that wont be for long. For example the sale of Apple's phones were down nearly 4% this quarter while increasing for other phones, an indication that people are making more intelligent choices. You cant keep ignorant people down for ever. The church tried to fight the fact that the earth was round for years, but eventually loss to science. Yeah, you still have a large percentage of people in the world who think the earth is flat. But fact won over myth in the end.

halcyon

Splendid
I'm not sure I want my iPhone to be thinner (its not thick)...but I'd be all for 2-3X the battery life and another .5 of display (as long as the ppi remains what it is or better).

__-_-_-__

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
[citation][nom]impreza[/nom]unless it means they can make the battery twice the size doesn't sound like anything amazing. I don't get why phones need to be so thin, just makes them a pain to hold to talk on.[/citation]
It's pure marketing bs. Just like LCD's. who cares if an LCD monitor is more or less 5mm thinner? Like mp in dslr. Who cares if it has 36mp? there are chinese cameras with 40mp.. they don't take better pics. Or in cars, more HP doesn't mean more speed or efficiency or acceleration or nothing.
It's the consumerism society. It's the same mechanism that makes people buy apple products. 99% marketing 1% product.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]__-_-_-__[/nom]It's pure marketing bs. Just like LCD's. who cares if an LCD monitor is more or less 5mm thinner? Like mp in dslr. Who cares if it has 36mp? there are chinese cameras with 40mp.. they don't take better pics. Or in cars, more HP doesn't mean more speed or efficiency or acceleration or nothing.It's the consumerism society. It's the same mechanism that makes people buy apple products. 99% marketing 1% product.[/citation]
Absolutely, because we all know that the iPhone is harder to use, has lower quality build materials, and has a worse display than all the competition...stupid people just keep buying it anyways.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]vilenjan[/nom]Iphone meet the Super Amoled screen of my nearly 2 year old Samsung Captivate.[/citation]

Uhh, what does that mean? iPhone 4 display was already better than that and Samsungs Super Amoled screens did not have this tech.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
iPhone is harder to use, has lower quality build materials, and has a worse display than all the competition...stupid people just keep buying it anyways

The iPhone is not harder to use. It simply is less useful. Its display is not bad, but there is so much better stuff out there in so many different ways that when you pair it with a flagship Android phone, the iPhone with its locked-down standards, its lack of java and flash support, and miniscule screen size, not to mention its lack of a micro sd card slot and its coffin-like appearance, you end up with a truly inferior product for a dumbed down population of sheeple. But people, even if dumb, can't be kept in the dark for ever.

mrpijey

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
What you define as less useful and low quality is not the same as what others may think. I have my share of broken down, cracked and low quality HTCs and Samung phones whereas all my iPhones are in pristine order, even after years of use (my iPhone 1G still looks as it were new, whereas my current Samsung Note already looks worn down). And not everyone are spec whores looking only at numbers and pretty abbreviations, but rather easy of use and the comfort of not having tons of stuff in their phones/tablets that they never use.

What you like and dislike is your opinion, but by calling people "dumbed down sheeple" you only prove your own ignorance, disrespect for others and profound stupidity. I.e a simple troll. Not everyone has the same priorities as you when it comes to specs, performance or brand loyalty.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]del35[/nom]The iPhone is not harder to use. It simply is less useful. Its display is not bad, but there is so much better stuff out there in so many different ways that when you pair it with a flagship Android phone, the iPhone with its locked-down standards, its lack of java and flash support, and miniscule screen size, not to mention its lack of a micro sd card slot and its coffin-like appearance, you end up with a truly inferior product for a dumbed down population of sheeple. But people, even if dumb, can't be kept in the dark for ever.[/citation]
I was being completely sarcastic...I apologize that it wasn't obvious. You see, the masses don't care about Flash not being available on the iPhone...in fact, for most, its just proof that Flash isn't necessary for a good experience. I had a Razr Maxx from January up until 3 weeks ago...can't think of an Android phone that's much better than that and I can assure you the display, with its lower PPI and way-off colour was not better than the iPhone's smaller yet way sharper and more accurate display. I'm speaking from actual recent experience. Now, I realize what appeals to me doesn't reflect everyone else (just in case that actually needed to be said).

junixophobia

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
On topic, will it consume less batteries? will be give better display?

if not then it would look irrelevant to a common user unless they come-out with 3D

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]DroKing[/nom]ummm I am speechless at all this Apple loving articles. However its a cool tech in general though but not when its used for an apple product. ^_^[/citation]
this is how most apple haters sound to me these days. completely oblivious, just as bad as the apple fanboys themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.