Next Surface RT Will Have Snapdragon for 4G LTE

Status
Not open for further replies.

daekar

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
I don't really understand the point of Surface RT. Surface Pro, heck yes. All of the professionals I've heard from are absolutely in love with theirs, they love the versatility and the ability to ditch their desktop completely unless they have number crunching to do. RT though... if it doesn't run x86 stuff.... why bother?

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013

I can sort of understand why the Surface RT exists but the pricing scheme they have for it is nuts based on that reason. A lot of people like tablets just for media consumption and a full Windows tablet is overkill for that with things more like iPad and Android tablets and Surface RT's being sufficient... But when you price the RT like the horribly overpriced iPad but without the name value of the iPad, you've got a machine that *might* have a niche but has priced itself too large to fit in that niche.

You're right, the Pro - or Windows 8 pro tablets in general - is awesome... The RT would be good for a nice little tablet to play around with as you're on the go, but at over $500? Just doesn't seem to fit. MS is too big for their breeches with this Surface RT thing.

cirdecus

Distinguished
I agree. I like that Microsoft is marking an ARM tablet and that they're wanting to produce a consumption device to get their feet in the iPad\Android tablet market, but without the apps and the robust ecosystems of Apple and Google, they're pretty much screwed. I think the tablet is farily competitive in terms of design and performance, but the content just isn't there. If the content was there and they marketed it correctly and allowed you to download all of the apps on your x86 tablets and PC's, then I think people will definitely migrate to microsoft and enjoy one ecosystem for all their devices, but without that huge app store, the RT world (and windows tablet world in general) just won't take off. Right now, the only appeal of a windows 8 pro tablet is a cool form factor with enormous power and the ability to get rid of the laptop\desktop all together, but as a consumption device, I don't use my win 8 pro tablet for apps, because.. well.. there really isn't any lol.

cirdecus

Distinguished
I agree. I like that Microsoft is marking an ARM tablet and that they're wanting to produce a consumption device to get their feet in the iPad\Android tablet market, but without the apps and the robust ecosystems of Apple and Google, they're pretty much screwed. I think the tablet is farily competitive in terms of design and performance, but the content just isn't there. If the content was there and they marketed it correctly and allowed you to download all of the apps on your x86 tablets and PC's, then I think people will definitely migrate to microsoft and enjoy one ecosystem for all their devices, but without that huge app store, the RT world (and windows tablet world in general) just won't take off. Right now, the only appeal of a windows 8 pro tablet is a cool form factor with enormous power and the ability to get rid of the laptop\desktop all together, but as a consumption device, I don't use my win 8 pro tablet for apps, because.. well.. there really isn't any lol.

Cau Trindade

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013
Well, I'm also excited about whats Surface RT 2 will be, but it will surely has to be launched based on a new market positioning strategy. I think the Surface PRO an other full Windows 8 Tablets will have its battery time and weight improved, so the advantage of Surface RT will only be the price. I'm using my Surface RT for 7 months, 7 hours/day and started a blog to tell about the experience. Check Surface RT REAL REVIEWS on http://SurfaceRtReview.BlogSpot.com

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

You must have missed the part saying the WIFI version will have T4. How many do you think really are after a modem in a tablet? I don't see many models having trouble selling without a contract and wireless :)

Remember that Sony couldn't sell the 3G Vita at all. It's just not used on these types of devices. This will be important to a small audience, just like ultrabooks and I suspect will sell just like them. NOT MANY. So score another for T4 for getting in the next version that will sell more units than the modem versions. Most people who have a tablet already have a phone for calls and use wifi for tablets (say at mcdonalds etc or in 90% of the cases at HOME). Both of these are on RT anyway, which won't sell many to begin with...ROFL.

Considering MS's past MISTAKEN choice of the slow T3~1.3ghz (instead of the 1.7ghz T3+ out the same time which would have gotten far better reviews for what $3-4 more?), I'm guessing the modem one will be a S400 rather than S800. So T4 in the one, and fast, vs S400 with modem for people that need that feature but slower. IF they had them both at the same power (basically T4/S800 are the same until we see some REAL games tested), there would be no need for a T4 version. Qcom's chips are priced higher than Tegra's also so this should be interesting to see how they play this out.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

IF they had chose the T3+ @1.7ghz it wouldn't have been an issue. So no, with either of the new ones no problem. They are much faster. A 1.3ghz A9 and crap gpu, compared to quad A15 at 1.9ghz or S800 at 2.2-2.3ghz both with great gpus. There is a HUGE difference between them.

Then again, it doesn't come out and say WHICH qcom chip it has. Might be an S400, which would make it useless for gaming, but I think the modem version is aimed at business people anyway. T4 will be for the users seeking FUN and not aimed at business. They supposedly have outlook coming though so maybe they'll both sell to business. I don't know any business users that don't have a phone on them already, so I think even the wireless aimed at business is kind of useless for a large portion of them. You don't get much work on these besides some emails and browsing. Nobody creates anything on tablets or phones.

daekar

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009

That's precisely the point about the Surface Pro... it's suited for content creation and consumption. When I said business professionals are ditching their desktops for Surface Pro tablets, I meant for everything.

RealityClash

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
Its a shame MS didn't just have a Intel Core Surface and an Atom Surface from the start and ditch RT before it was even released. The power and battery life of current and next gen Atom CPU's are just as capable as ARM CPU's so there's really no need for RT.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

If by creating content you mean word docs ok and emails (is that content creation?...LOL), but not much else. These are underpowered to do REAL work and will be for a while. It's a niche market that can be replaced with one of these. I wouldn't enjoy working on one of these (too small) and out to my 24in would just be not enough in so many ways to get the job done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts