Next Version of Windows Will Be Riskiest Product

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]Diverse[/nom]I always hated Microsoft...but I always root for them, and I always want their products to succeed. Why the hell is that?[/citation]

Have you ruled out stupidity?

mastadisasta_31

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Diverse[/nom]I always hated Microsoft...but I always root for them, and I always want their products to succeed. Why the hell is that?[/citation]

Yeah, I'm with you on that. I find myself doing the same thing.

[citation][nom]TA152H[/nom]Have you ruled out stupidity?[/citation]

Say hello to Humanity

G

you think that cloud is the future?
What if you have infected servers doing infected calculations?
Could your computer stay virus/worm free like that?

WarraWarra

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2007
Can not be SP1 as the SP1beta actually gets win7 to be close to xp sp1~sp2 stability so not 90% win xp sp3 yet and nothing radical in SP1beta.

The cloud stupidity who in their right mind would hope to have more than 4mbps cable / adsl internet by 2012 ?
Hello this is the USA, get real, not Mexico or Africa where you have real internet.
Maybe mobile phones might get to hsdpa 3G 7.2mbps until more than 100 subscribers has contracts then back down to bursted rates of 4.8mbps if that lucky.

So how do they expect you to spend 2 hours uploading a basic document onto the internet to open and then find it is a old / wrong version of a needed document ??

If only MS would put their Crack pipes away for 10 seconds.

WarraWarra

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2007
[citation][nom]mrhappy50[/nom]It's kinda nice that they are one of the only major companies with a REALLY energetic CEO.[/citation]

Plus he has eaten in the last year not looking like "doctor death Steve Jobs" skeleton with a skin dressed over it.

ivanlucrazy

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
It would be nice methinks if Win7 would last as long as XP did. I don't like this whole "Let's release a new windows every 3-4 years". I think it would be better if they just released SP's. I mean, unless Windows 8 is a totally rewritten OS, what's the point besides making more cash? Well I guess that is the point. Still that could be circumvented with optional SP upgrades that one pays for.

my two cents. :S

stormvice

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
screw cloud computing!
PC=PERSONAL COMPUTER. Means anything?
the whole world will not have high speed internet in 2 years.
If it is something risky, I really hope for innovations. A new type of UI to dump the so boring window management...or a way to make the system interaction without keyboard+mouse...

wymer100

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
[citation][nom]ira176[/nom]...somebody on that video forgot their metamucil....[/citation]

Dude. Lay off Steve Jobs. The guy survived pancreatic cancer and a liver transplant. He actually looked pretty healthy at the press conference last week.

deletemach_kernel

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010
well lets look a t it logically.... next year apple release osx LION... (should have beeb cougar!!)

so i expect ms also to release windows 8 at about the same time......

lets cross our fingers...maybe there wil integration of windows 7 phone + windows 8 ala ios + lion

hannibal

Distinguished
Well, I have to base my gues to rumours... Win 8 will be first pure 64 bit Windows, maybe pure UEFI support, maybe they have to drop old legasy support. so that they can make better OS than win 7 is...
All things that most home users only find good thins to happen, but the big companies, universities and so on big corporations may not be happy if anything mentioned above happens. It would make win 8 an risky product, because many "big money" customers would leave win 8 and stay in win XP, win 7 bandwagon as long as there will be support... We can see this allready in Win XP situation vs Vista and win 7. And win 7 is relative "friendly" towards older hardware and software (after some upgrades at least) Win 8 can be different beast in that sentence.

Version 2: MS may at last go to pay one time per year system for win 8. There has been long time rummours that MS is working on system where you have to pay every year, so that you can keep on using windows os. (Subscribe system...)

Version 1 could alienate corporate customers for long time, version 2 could alianate home users... Either way it would be a risky task...

suoeno

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
Windows 7 is good.Good enough.I use it.I have it on 2 desktops on my home LAN.1 other extra old lappy are on Linux.At least no more random or post Win updates' BSODs.And ALL hardware drivers at installation are finally here...when I realized just in recent weeks I'm dabbling with Linux Mint 9 LXDE that literally all top "noob friendly" Linux distros out there have been doing exactly that prior for like how long already.Oh well...

Look at the state of PC sales.Yo yo.Down.Down some more.Flat line.The economy?Maybe.Gamers grown up?Yes.Gamers move on to consoles?That's logical.Kids doing too much tweeting,IM'ing and FB'ing?They can do that even on cheaper featurephones.How many times a year would you need to change consoles?How many times a year or 2 a hardcore PC gamer need to spend on any latest and greatest full on gaming system?PC games are Windows' only saving grace and the baseline for every "switch over" FUD propaganda.

The scam gets worse over the years.You buy a Dell or HP laptop computer.You need to pay extra $10 for the sys/OS DVD.It's not about 10 bucks big or small.It's the psychological effect that counts.People are pissed.Then we can talk about netbooks.Oh wow.We get a shitty Starter Edition.If some are fed up enough they'll be delighted to know that they can run a full on Linux distro with their choice DE way faster than Win 7 and we're not even talking about netbook versions yet.

During Win 7 beta people had to bookmark or piece together probably 1 or 2 guides for an install USB stick.A separate official tool to work the ISO file.That's fine.Well it's not like most Linux distros' "live USB" but people are tired of wasting blank DVD-Rs or CD-Rs.It's odd that when Win 7 was finally launched,we were deprived of just buying a retail install USB.Oh have I talked about retail prices?And what's with the Vista-ish SKUs?

Is this a rant?Not entirely.It's some strings of questions/arguments for MS to ponder.A list of "risks" if they will.

But then you could get something like Windows Vista, which made huge strides in security and other subsystems over Windows XP,

That's impossible, there's the same or even more secutity updates compared to Xp. Same kind of vulnerability.

I'm afraid that cloud could lead to lots of stolen information if they can't even get their software safe.

Also most likely will be as bad or worse than vista and millennium. They want to make windows to stop piracy: witch so far has done more damage to legit costumers than others..... they really need to think this though or it's hello problems.

Good luck to all MS costumners

K-zon

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
If 8 comes with say cloud computing in mind, i would have to ask to what extent and how user friendly. And how cloud computing is used within Windows 8 and user frinedly to what part of being a "user" or Os operating system for like virtual server or virtual storage? .

Also with 8, in the XP compatibilty and running multi os, even at least within Windows, would 8 let 7 run along with it or even XP? Since 7 doesnt seem to work very well with XP?
Also with 8 would it turn into simplicity to run of complexity in user interface to help maintain security features from more then just the interface? That maintains its user friendly use to have when needed or not?

Unless its just an update of version, cause that would be a New version would be like service packs wouldnt? against release?

Status
Not open for further replies.