Nexus 10 May Be Upgraded with Quad-Core SoC in February

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrArC

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
[citation][nom]kenyee[/nom]How long before we get 802.11ac and USB 3.0 support?[/citation]A long time. You can't just add it - you need a SoC which supports these features (these do not yet exist, really), or you need to tie up the limited resources in your existing hardware, bolting standalone chippery onto the available buses. This second option negatively affects battery life, design complexity, reliability, cost, weight and probably performance to some degree.

In other words, we're better without for the time being.

rgeiken

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
I have watched lots of video on my Nexus 10, and have not noticed that I can't handle things. Of course if you can go to a more powerful processor in a new model, that is probably the way to go. After all, the competitors are boasting about their quad processors, so Google might as well move ahead too. NO matter what, I am very happy with my current Nexus 10 and not likely to update for that improvement, but obviously people that has much less effective devices may opt for that. I like having 2 gig (Actually about 1.6 available to user) of ram, and there are some nifty programs to flush ram that can bring you back from about 200+ Meg to over 1 gig again. I jump around in programs pretty frequently and with my 84 apps can do almost anything that I want to right now. I am always looking for new apps that will do things that I like, but after filling up recently not finding many more just have to have applications. Surprisingly all of my current apps are free, but will be willing to spend for any app that looks worth it's cost. A lot of the apps are intended to get you to buy things, these are usually free. I currently have apps for all the stores that are in my local mall and they are simple and easy to use. You install a vendors app on your Android Device and the vendor is as close as the end of your arm. You can buy at the store or on line easily. Waiting to see the new Nexus 10 with Quad Core. That should send Apple scrambling to keep up.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
i knew the processor they placed in there was heavily underpowered. now imagine google's track record... if they release a new nexus 10, is it possible that they will let the current users replace it with a new one or maybe even let them keep the old one for free?????

rgeiken

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
Since I don't play any games, the dual core processor seems to work fine for me. It actually is pretty smooth most of the time. Most delays seem to be due to download time on the Internet although I have a fast cable internet connection. I just wonder how they will configure these devices in another 4 to 5 years. I have 2 i7 W7 computers, and glad to have the 8 core processors. My Nexus 10 is not going to be doing the heavy lifting like the Windows computers do. I know the Nexus 7 is fun to use, and when my memory gets a little low due to all the jumping around that I do at times, I can go to one program and it allows me to recover memory. I can go from less than 200 meg to 1.06 or so just by clicking one button. It is nice to be able to terminate so many applications that quickly. If there is any app that I want to start again, it gets working again quickly. The Nexus 10 with 4.2.1 Jelly Bean is a really fast machine and a lot of fun to use. I wanted a Tablet, and the Nexus 10 with the dual processor seemed to offer me the best value. Unless it breaks down, I don't think that it will run any worse a couple of years from now. I have bought tons of computers over the years, and was well able to afford them. I think that I can get many years of service out the Nexus 10 that I have, but buying a new one wouldn't put me in the poor house. I am getting ready to buy a Nexus 7 shortly. I have 2 windows computers, and that should hold me for quite a few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.