Nexus 4 Update Removes Unofficial 4G LTE Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silent Ricochet

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
I really don't understand why Google wouldn't want their device to be 4G capable. If they had intended this all along, why even include a chip? Either way, for the people that enabled 4G on their Nexus 4s using that trick stated above, the solution is simple. Don't update. Chances are, if you have the ability / know how or even the urge to enable it in the first place, you're probably running a ROM different from stock and the update won't affect you anyways.

hewettbr

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
there's rules and regulations involved, but there's a workaround anyhow, you just have to use an older modem version.

the1kingbob

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
[citation][nom]Silent Ricochet[/nom]IIf they had intended this all along, why even include a chip? [/citation]

They probably included because it would have cost more money to have it not included, since this hardware is used in other phones. In the end, this good of hardware without a 4g chip doesn't exist.

As for why they disabled it, that really does not make sense to me. I am sure rooting gets around this, but to remove the ability to let the end user decide if they want to use an official feature should be left up to the end user. If Google has a valid reason for doing this I hope they explain why, otherwise this is no different from Apple's behavior.

hewettbr

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
[citation][nom]santeana[/nom]Well, Google didn't clear it for LTE with the FCC. So I think they're just covering their assets. But it's ok, once you get the 4.2.2 update, a simple flash of the old .33 radio returns LTE to normal[/citation]

this is the reason and the solution

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
why don't they add official support for it in a new update, then tell users which components they can purchase to amplify and filter, then simply recommend the proper soldering iron tips and reflow practices that will work with the phone for users who want to upgrade the phone them self (reflowing solder pads for BGA's is still entirely possible for home users (as long as PoP BGA's are not being used for the components to be installed)

[citation][nom]razor512[/nom]why don't they add official support for it in a new update, then tell users which components they can purchase to amplify and filter, then simply recommend the proper soldering iron tips and reflow practices that will work with the phone for users who want to upgrade the phone them self (reflowing solder pads for BGA's is still entirely possible for home users (as long as PoP BGA's are not being used for the components to be installed)[/citation]

Suggesting that users do anything like that usually raises red flags.

Status
Not open for further replies.