[SOLVED] NH-D15 or D15S ?

huelen

Reputable
Mar 21, 2016
Hi my build is
Z490 tomahawk
Fractal Define R6
Gtx 970 (waiting for 3080)

I'm confused if D15S + a second fan would be a better choice specially leaving some extra space away from the GPU will this improve some temps? or should just get the D15 Chromax

Solution
It's not practical because of the cost of a 2nd fan - the value/performance per dollar tanks after that, but if you already have one to use, then it doesn't matter.
The NH-D15S with one fan is within a degree or 2 of the original.

yeah, D15S little offset towards topside wouldnt be better for cpu and gpu or makes no diffrence at all?
No meaningful difference, anyway.
The purpose of the offset design, the removal of the front fan, and the elevated(slight) finstack:
-Greater compatibility with a wider range of motherboards. On some boards, the D15 does make contact with the gpu.

-Wanna use tall, flashy ram, and not obstruct any of it? No problem! Plus you give up very little performance to do so... there is their color scheme...
Jul 12, 2020
Hi my build is
Z490 tomahawk
Fractal Define R6
Gtx 970 (waiting for 3080)

I'm confused if D15S + a second fan would be a better choice specially leaving some extra space away from the GPU will this improve some temps? or should just get the D15 Chromax
the nh-d15 chromax black comes with 2 fans in the box

huelen

Reputable
Mar 21, 2016
yeah, D15S little offset towards topside wouldnt be better for cpu and gpu or makes no diffrence at all?
plus I have an extra NF-P12 fan
Edit: I just checked P12 and A15 are totally different lol

Jul 12, 2020
plus I have an extra NF-P12 fan
Edit: I just checked P12 and A15 are totally different lol
i dont see any performance difference from the reviews ive seen. go with the one with dual fans and fits your system config

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It's not practical because of the cost of a 2nd fan - the value/performance per dollar tanks after that, but if you already have one to use, then it doesn't matter.
The NH-D15S with one fan is within a degree or 2 of the original.

No meaningful difference, anyway.
The purpose of the offset design, the removal of the front fan, and the elevated(slight) finstack:
-Greater compatibility with a wider range of motherboards. On some boards, the D15 does make contact with the gpu.

-Wanna use tall, flashy ram, and not obstruct any of it? No problem! Plus you give up very little performance to do so... there is their color scheme, which I know some folks aren't fond of, that probably won't complement the flashy hardware. ¯\(ツ)

Solution

huelen

Reputable
Mar 21, 2016
I already ordered the Chromax from amazon, as I read it will not affect gpu temps at all ofc when 3080 arrives in 2022
Thanks for your answers and links