Nighthawk R7500v2 drops every hour

Jun 13, 2018
Netgear Nighthawk X4 R7500v2
Firnware V1.0.3.26
QoS off

For about 2 weeks now every few hours the internet goes down for 5-10 min.
Affects all connections, wired and wireless.
Length of time can be reduced with a power cycle.

I have hard reset several times.
Any suggestions?

Ralston18

Titan
Suggestions and questions:

Is the router located to have good air flows to help with cooling? May be reaching some out of spec temperature and stops working. Cools down ("5-10 min") and works again.

Check the router when there has been little or no network use. Determine if the router does get hot and hotter even. Especially at the time the internet goes down.

Does your Nighthawk router have logs and are those logs enabled?

Who manages and has administrative access to the router? That person will need to check the logs status.

The logs may be showing some problem or error.

Is V1.0.3.26 the most current firmware? Check Netgear's website.

What is your environment: single residence, apartments, dorm? Consider interference from other networks or perhaps someone has tapped into your network.

Or someone on your street getting/taking all the bandwidth for downloads.

How many devices do you have on your network? Might possibly be an IP address conflict depending on the IP addresses being used for DHCP and any existing default or static IP addresses in use.

CaptainCretin

Respectable
Jul 18, 2016
As well as above, you could sign up to the ThinkBroadband website and set up a line quality monitor, if it shows it is the line and not the router, your first port of call should be contacting your ISP to let them know you have some issues.

Jun 13, 2018
Just went and switched out modems to see if that fixed problem.
Have a service scheduled for Friday to check / replace line from pole.

Checked logs on router as suggested, lots of DoS attacks in a row. Will plan to see if those attacks happen if I lose connection after new modem.

CaptainCretin

Respectable
Jul 18, 2016

If you are getting DDOS attacks, it is very unlikely changing the router will help.

Report it to your ISP - although they SHOULD already be aware of it.

I doubt you are the target; I have been in the same situation, my ISP was using a block of IP address's adjacent to one used by the UK military, and we were getting caught in a DDOS attack against them.

That attack last for MONTHS, and eventually the ISP went bust.