Question Nighthawk R8000 dropping internet

Feb 14, 2019
I have a nighthawk R8000 that keeps dropping the internet. A power reset on the router resolves the issue. Its not consistent, sometimes happens a few mins after resetting, sometimes a few hours...very frustrating none the less.
When internet gets dropped, its for all devices wireless and wired. Also can still access the router interface via a browser but its very slow whereas its pretty fast when internet is up.

Its been this way for about a week, not sure exactly. When this started, I had the latest firmware for my device. I have read many many forums on this issue and have tried all of the various setting changes. Nothing seems to work. I have tried rolling the firmware back, tried 6 previous editions. Most recently I tried resetting to original firmware...again not resolved.

I have read Netgear firmware is problematic and the DD-WRT is more stable. I don't have a problem changing over, as I know enough about this to be dangerous. However, I am not sure of the most current version and when I search for it there seems to be a lot of conflicting information.

So any suggestions on how to fix this issue, weather is be Netgear Firmware or DD-WRT?

Ralston18

Titan
Who is your ISP and what make and model modem is installed?

Is the connection from the modem going to the Router's Internet port (yellow port)?

Have you tried swapping in known working cables for telephone, coax, and Ethernet as applicable between the connected devices?

Are you able to run "ipconfig /all" via the command prompt on your computer and post the results?

Do you have the router's User Manual?

If not, check the following link:

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R8000/R8000_UM_EN.pdf

Feb 14, 2019
Who is your ISP and what make and model modem is installed?

Is the connection from the modem going to the Router's Internet port (yellow port)?

Have you tried swapping in known working cables for telephone, coax, and Ethernet as applicable between the connected devices?

Are you able to run "ipconfig /all" via the command prompt on your computer and post the results?

Do you have the router's User Manual?

If not, check the following link:

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R8000/R8000_UM_EN.pdf

I have Wave Cable with Arris SB8200 cable modem

All LAN cables are Cat6, all work fine.

I have the routers user manual, not sure why that's important here.

Ipconfig/all is below

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller #2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : FC-AA-14-CB-FB-4B
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::95e9:6f34:6795:1555%15(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.7(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, February 14, 2019 12:12:35 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, February 15, 2019 12:12:35 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 234662420
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1E-0F-70-7C-FC-AA-14-CB-FB-4B
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Ethernet 4:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : TAP-Windows Adapter V9
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-FF-B5-2C-29-03
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Last edited:
I would log into the cable modem and look at the status tab and event monitor tab.

The event tab will show actual drops of the internet or other issues. You will always get some messages in this log but if you get a lot in a short time or you get the ones that say the link went down those are bad.

In the status tab you will see the signal levels on all the channels. The actual recommended values depend on how your ISP is encoding the data. Google search will give you a number of example of the values rather than me duplicate all that information here.

The other thing you will see is error counts on each channel. Again you will always see some errors. It changes slow enough you should not see the number even change between refresh. Uncorrectable are worse the correctable.

Mostly you are looking at the cable modem to be really sure it is your router. It is not common for a router to fail but the ISP cable has issues much more often.

Ralston18

Titan
Yes. Check the cable modem as suggested by @bill001g.

The router's manual is important because it explains (to some level or another) how the connections should be made, what the default settings are, what configuration changes may be applicable or necessary.

Especially after factory resets - all too easy to overlook some long forgotten change that you may have made.

Not noting any issues per se in "ipconfig /all". If your ISP does not provide IPv6 then you can disable IPv6 just as a matter elimination if anything.

However, with all devices being affected the problem is unlikely to be within your computer per se.

In addition to the router's manual, here is a link to the cable modem's User Guide:

https://arris.my.salesforce.com/sfc...h/9Nh17rOX59OqJRfv4_PGHkAjUvwIaGiOxdcQQOp_Tyk

Likewise check the connections and configuration.

Coax - look for a splitter (one coax cable in, two cables out) that may be serving the cable modem. Splitters can and do fail.

Could also be a loose power connection with respect to either cable modem or router.

Feb 14, 2019
After dealing with this crap for over a week and a half, countless setting changes, reboots, resets, flashing to countless versions of firmware both Netgear and DD-WRT, nothing worked. So I went and got an ASUS AC3100 last night and it’s been great so far. It’s actually faster than the Nighthawk I had. It was the same price too.

In all the forums I have read over the last week, almost everyone’s final solution was to get a different router. I didn’t want to fork out another $250, but I guess I had to. The Nighthawk was just over 2yrs old and I can’t believe it crapped out already. Even more, it found it to be even more frustrating that Netgear would only offer support if I paid for it. I get that they can’t peovide support forever but a router that they sell/say is all that, only lasting 2yrs is unacceptable. Prior to this happening, I would swear by Netgear products, now not so much.

So anyone having this problem, save yourself the frustration, take the Netgear back and get something else. Or, as I had to, bite the bullet and go buy a new one.

Mar 25, 2020
Hello, I too have been having the normal issues with this NetGear Nighthawk X6. Slow speeds, I have Comcrap 1Gb internet, connecting directly to modem i get almost 1Gb down, going through the router its cut in half. Also, this router keeps dropping WiFi connection and when it does LAN drops too. It worked great for the first 3 months then each subsequent firmware update it got slower and slower, i did the norm, turned off settings, manual channels, earlier firmware, yadda yadda yadda, to no avail. I did a factory reset and installed the original firmware and that didnt work. this is turning out to be the worse router i have ever owned, I am bout to set it on fire and toss it in a bucket of muriatic acid and see if that improves its speed.........