Nintendo Exec: New Wii U Stock Heading for the U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

vertigo_2000

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
I didn't pre-order. I went to Wal-Mart last night for some stuff and thought I'd pick one up. They were sold out. No big deal.

Some of us don't have to have it this second. Some of us are patient. I'll get one eventually.

shafe88

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
[citation][nom]smuggl3r[/nom]Why would someone buy this? Some 6 year old PCs are faster than this piece of sh*t "nextgen" console.[/citation]Wow I didn't know my old emachine was faster than the Wii U. I never thought my celery d cold out perform a quad core.

jerrspud

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009
I'm sure it's the A..holes that buy them and try to mark them up on CL and Ebay. We'll see after Christmas if there is a true demand

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
[citation][nom]smuggl3r[/nom]Why would someone buy this? Some 6 year old PCs are faster than this piece of sh*t "nextgen" console.[/citation]

Because the GamePad gives some interesting options not available elsewhere. Like playing the game on the small screen while other people spectate on the big screen. Takes a little while to get used to but I love this thing. Especially since it acts like a universal remote for my TV.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
I'm going to pick one up soon, haven't checked to see if there are any left around my city.

I do find it funny that all the trolls saying the Wii U would be a "major fail" and wouldn't sell are totally wrong. In truth, it looks like a good system and I think it will have some great games. Nintendo was smart to get this thing out the door before the rival consoles hit the market.

Novulux

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
I purchased 3 for friends and relatives also. Went to Target closest to my house, 10 people waiting but only 4 in stock.
Drove to larger Target at a mall, 15 in stock, but only 6 people waiting...

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
[citation][nom]shafe88[/nom]Wow I didn't know my old emachine was faster than the Wii U. I never thought my celery d cold out perform a quad core.[/citation]

The Wii U processor die is 30mm2, and most things point to it having three cores. That's about the same size as a SINGLE core Atom also on 45nm. Each core has 1/3rd the transistor budget of one Atom core then. There is only so much you can do with a given transistor budget. I would not be surprised if a dual core from a few years ago kills this in raw CPU performance. Also its memory bandwidth for the CPU and GPU together is 12.8GB/s, even the 7 year old consoles are twice that speed, although it maybe has more eDRAM than the 360 to make up for it.

noblerabbit

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
there will be no Wii U's available, as 5,000 Angry parents storm every electronics store this Christmas season. Just like every new console season, rinse and repeat. Mine will go for $1,000 on ebay , no less. We live in a capitalistic society, and I know that people with too much money on their hands will buy it from me.

samwelaye

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
If anybody is in the pacific northwest... hit up Fred Meyer for a Wii. Nobody thinks of going there, and we all have some.

saw probably 8 deluxes and more than 10 basics in my storeroom today

Status
Not open for further replies.