News Nintendo sues Palworld developers Pocketpair for patent infringement

Druid kern

Reputable
Jun 12, 2021
This sucks as I own a copy of the game. How ever as one captures and releases monsters using the same kind of capsules as Pokémon, I am not surprised Nintendo has taken notice of this game. The last time I played there was little in the way of story, game mainly resolved around harvesting resources for building up your base and collecting monsters. Since collecting monster's in this game is very similar to Pokémon this could be what caught there eye.

Reactions: KyaraM and artk2219

newtechldtech

Respectable
Sep 21, 2022
Nintendo is the Apple of the gaming world. Sue any competition because they cannot innovate on their own.
not really , Nintendo invented Most of the game industry .. software or hardware .

For example , Mario64 was a huge hit back in the day , and all copied the gaming style and open world , and smooth 3D controls ...

Their portables also unbeatable ...

Even the Final fantasy series was first Nintendo exclusive as well ...

newtechldtech

Respectable
Sep 21, 2022
Atari I would argue invented the game industry. Nintendo just improved upon it, as did Sega way back then. I lived through the Atari 2600, NES, SNES, and Sega days growing up. Back then Nintendo acutally competed. They don't anymore.

Final Fantasy was exclusive, yes, but Nintendo didn't develop it. Some of my favorite games are older FF games.
Atari what? Atari was the wheel .. but what is the wheel today ?

most Genres were invented by Nintendo back in the day .

Actually most games ideas came from Japan ...

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021
Japan has quite a few game ideas, but IDK that I would characterize it as most. Plenty did, but I can think of plenty didn't. Maniac Mansion, Tetris, SimCity, Ultima, Madden and Prince of Persia where all popular games in the 80s that were not from Japan, just to name a few. In the 90s popular games like Civilization, Doom, Fallout, Quake, Grand Theft Auto, Half-Life, GoldenEye, Age of Empires and Star Craft where not from Japan either.

I'm not trying to discredit the work the Japanese game makers have done, they have accomplished a lot, but I don't see Japan as having or have had a monopoly on game ideas.

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
I haven't play any of the games, so I might not know what I'm talking about. But the idea of fighting a 'boss' to 'capture' it and use it as your own; isn't that kinda the same thing as in FFVII?

Reactions: artk2219

ivan_vy

Respectable
Apr 22, 2022

Nintendo 'seal of quality' and 10% of hardware sales to stores were abysmal, I would say Playstation and cheap CDs were the boom of new ideas.
and recently internet indies , Nintendo is a great company software side, but HW is lacking, and the some games are rehashes of the same IP, let's drop the rose-tinted glasses.

Most genre's and game ideas most definitely did not originate originally from Nintendo and Japan. Especially considering the fact that Nintendo was a late comer to the home market. That's not to say that Nintendo and Japan in general haven't had a very large effect on the market, but Nintendo was relatively late. To start with both the Apple II and Atari 2600 were released in 1977, the NES was released in 1983. This isn't even taking into account all of the other consoles, micro PC's and arcade cabinets that came out in between. Just to name a few, the BBC micro came out in 1981, Commodore Vic 20 and 64 came out in 1981 and 1982, the IBM PC also came out in 1981, the TRS 80 came out in 1980, and the ZX Spectrum hit in 1982. Heck the MSX standard was released the same year as the NES and had AT LEAST as big of an impact in gaming history as the NES. Even if we expand into arcade cabinets, they do have an earlier presence starting in 1978, but they were still very much in a crowded market.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Konami_games

https://niwanetwork.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_arcade_games

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Sega_arcade_system_boards

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MSX

Last edited:

ivan_vy

Respectable
Apr 22, 2022
Most genre's and game ideas most definitely did not originate originally from Nintendo and Japan. Especially considering the fact that Nintendo was a late comer to the home market. That's not to say that Nintendo and Japan in general haven't had a very large effect on the market, but Nintendo was relatively late. To start with both the Apple II and Atari 2600 were released in 1977, the NES was released in 1983. This isn't even taking into account all of the Micro PC's and arcade cabinets that came out in between. Just to name a few, the TRS 80 came out in 1980, Commodore Vic 20 and 64 came out in 1981 and 1982, and the IBM PC also came out in 1981. Even if we expand into arcade cabinets, they do have an earlier presence starting in 1978, but they were still very much in a crowded market.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Konami_games

https://niwanetwork.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_arcade_games

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Sega_arcade_system_boards
also NAMCO's PACMAN, 3D racing arcades, ... SEGA's 3D Virtua Fighter, released in Japanese arcades in November 1993....Online done right: Xbox, there were early attempts but were mostly niche, Xbox marketplace, ... Steam's online distribution,etc
There are a lot more people and companies building the games industry long before and along Nintendo.

UnforcedERROR

Prominent
Sep 27, 2023
not really , Nintendo invented Most of the game industry .. software or hardware .

For example , Mario64 was a huge hit back in the day , and all copied the gaming style and open world , and smooth 3D controls ...

Their portables also unbeatable ...

Even the Final fantasy series was first Nintendo exclusive as well ...
This is so clearly biased in its reasoning I'm not even sure how to respond to it.

For instance, bringing up Final Fantasy, which was inspired by games like Wizardry and Ultima, seems strange. Hell, Final Fantasy was largely greenlit due to Dragon Quest's success, and it wasn't until 7 was released on the PlayStation that it got major international attention.

Actually most games ideas came from Japan .
I have no idea where this notion came from. There were videogames well before Nintendo, and plenty of the biggest Nintendo exclusives borrowed from other games. Also, early on Japan relied heavily on frameworks built by Western developers. Especially in the RPG market.

Next thing you'll tell us is that Star Fox predated Wing Commander, or Mario before Pitfall!

newtechldtech

Respectable
Sep 21, 2022
Nintendo 'seal of quality' and 10% of hardware sales to stores were abysmal, I would say Playstation and cheap CDs were the boom of new ideas.
and recently internet indies , Nintendo is a great company software side, but HW is lacking, and the some games are rehashes of the same IP, let's drop the rose-tinted glasses.

Hardware are lacking ? I dont care about performance , they were the FIRST to master 3D controllers and smooth 3D movement.

they were the best who master virtual controllers in their Wii System . it was so accurate and fun that no other could match it ...

Nintendo 3DS , DS , and the dual screen and fun games that used even blowing on the mic to play ??

N64 was a great leap , Wii as well , The N64 was the first TRUE 3D gaming system , but they made the mistake no going to CD .. and that gave PS1 the edge over them , not in terms of game play , no in terms of cut scenes and voice inside games that I never cared about really...

Reactions: TheHerald

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
Hardware are lacking ? I dont care about performance , they were the FIRST to master 3D controllers and smooth 3D movement.

they were the best who master virtual controllers in their Wii System . it was so accurate and fun that no other could match it ...

Nintendo 3DS , DS , and the dual screen and fun games that used even blowing on the mic to play ??

N64 was a great leap , Wii as well , The N64 was the first TRUE 3D gaming system , but they made the mistake no going to CD .. and that gave PS1 the edge over them , not in terms of game play , no in terms of cut scenes and voice inside games that I never cared about really...

While I adore Nintendo, they don't quite live in the fanboyish pantheon you've placed them in.

Atari wasn't the wheel of gaming. I'd argue pong systems and their clones were the gaming "wheel". By the time Atari and even the Nintendo Entertainment System consoles, the big N/Atari were more akin to an affordable family cars in the gaming market. And when it comes to many of the controls, dual screens, mics etc... Many of Nintendo so called 'innovations' were gimmicky toys. The Switch which for me was their biggest 'popular' console move since the N64 (though GC is extremely under rated to be fair), regardless Nintendo has always done their own thing. And for that I love them but I make no mistake they are typically the gaming TOYS of any given generation though I'd love to see that change.

Switch has begun to evolve the presentation of Nintendo to the larger gaming market to a very small degree but they'll need at least a couple of gens of follow through to change that toy (ish) perception if it is even possible to do at all. For anything to truly be an innovation in gaming, it should stick around for the long run (or make a comeback) and many of Nintendo's big changes to gaming have quickly fallen to the way side fading in to obscurity but not all...look at digital pads, analog joy sticks and motion control to a lesser degree.

Last edited:

logainofhades

Titan
For instance, bringing up Final Fantasy, which was inspired by games like Wizardry and Ultima, seems strange. Hell, Final Fantasy was largely greenlit due to Dragon Quest's success, and it wasn't until 7 was released on the PlayStation that it got major international attention.

I would almost argue FFVI, or FFIII as it was in the US, is why so many wanted to play FFVII. It really was ahead of its time with regards to story and having multiple parties and stories. FFIV/FFII US is my personal favorite, but it wasn't as intricate in its design and story as FFVI/FFIII US. FFVII definitely pushed the popularity forward even further though.

UnforcedERROR

Prominent
Sep 27, 2023
I would almost argue FFVI, or FFIII as it was in the US, is why so many wanted to play FFVII. It really was ahead of its time with regards to story and having multiple parties and stories. FFIV/FFII US is my personal favorite, but it wasn't as intricate in its design and story as FFVI/FFIII US. FFVII definitely pushed the popularity forward even further though.
I mean, FF was a series that had some small niche popularity in the US by the time FF7 came around, but the numbers weren't even close relatively speaking. That said, FF3/6 actually had a marketing campaign at release, albeit extremely small. It didn't even really tell you anything, which I still find funny. I wonder how many people actually saw this ad (I did, maybe twice):

View: https://youtu.be/d15qmRzn2Pc

jasonf2

Distinguished
I am sorry but when you make a game that is publicly renowned as "Pokemon with Guns" you should probably expect a lawsuit. Couple that with the fact that you are messing with Nintendo, which could be the most sue happy company of all time (next to Atari) when it comes to IP, and there is no surprise here. The only surprise is that it took this long for Nintendo to go after it. Win or lose Nintendo's deep pockets and willingness to go to court after anyone, even individuals, when they know they won't make a dime from winning only to cause bankruptcy has been their main IP protection tactic for years and it has been highly effective.

Last edited:
Reactions: KyaraM

ivan_vy

Respectable
Apr 22, 2022

not mastered 3D, wii needed the motion plus
DS was nice HW but not gorundbreaking
N64 was great machine , codeveloped with Silicon Graphics y Rambus Inc., lack of texture and cartridge were it demise. GC the dumb minidisc hurt it.
PS1 won by the small cost to publish in CD, many developers took risks, you can´t have that with cartridge also when you know first party games take the big chunk of the market. in the end 33 Million are a great number for consoles sold for N64, but the PS1 was the consoles for the masses, to have 10 CD games or a couple of cartridges?