News Nintendo Switch 2 Rumored to Leverage Nvidia Ampere GPU and DLSS

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So my Radeon HD 5970 from 2009 outperforms it
not really.

Consoles are different than PC's.

they make up for weaker specs by having a much more efficent (and thus more performance on the hardware) pipeline.

all mac/windows/linux OS are "messy" compared to the consoles pipelines.

This is why (1 of reasons) emulation is worse even when spec wise the hardware is massively better.

Nintendo will sue you into the ground if you dare try to emulate their games.
sadly they can't xD

thats why they cant do anything to you for cracking or emulating their stuff... because theres no proof you didnt dump your own systems files
and modern emulators do not use any of the switches (thus nintendo) code which is why yuzu/ryujinx/etc are still around.
Dolphin's only able to get "controlled" because you do need a Wii/U file to run which IS nintendo's (which is why they dont have it and u have find it urself as they are in legal safe zone then)

Reactions: Order 66

bp_968

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2012
I wonder (assuming the leaked specs are accurate) if the tdp was 30w if the switch 2 would outperform the steam deck or rog ally.
I find that super unlikely. The steamdeck is larger and has a fairly robust cooling setup and at full power it puts out a massive amount of heat. Nintendo is pretty hung up on user experience with their hardware (not so much with software and UI, but I digress) so I don't see them being comfortable with that kind of heat output.

That's also ignoring battery size. The steamdeck has a 40 wh battery so would last about 80 minutes from full to 100% dead (so less then 80 minutes if they use a sane battery management system).

What will end up being a potentially killer feature is DLSS. They could use a 1080p or even something a little bigger like 1200p or 1440p and then use a combo of DLSS upscaling and frame generation to take the load off the GPU while still giving excellent image quality and framerates.

I hope the whole PC portable rage going on now convinces Nvidia to take a shot at an APU type design for a steam handheld. I doubt AMD would want to partner up but Intel has some excellent packaging designs so maybe the could come up with a reasonably low powered intel/nvidia design.

That or AMD could add a tensor core style functionality to their next RDNA design and make an FSR that's comparable to DLSS.

Sep 13, 2023
I find that super unlikely. The steamdeck is larger and has a fairly robust cooling setup and at full power it puts out a massive amount of heat. Nintendo is pretty hung up on user experience with their hardware (not so much with software and UI, but I digress) so I don't see them being comfortable with that kind of heat output.

That's also ignoring battery size. The steamdeck has a 40 wh battery so would last about 80 minutes from full to 100% dead (so less then 80 minutes if they use a sane battery management system).

What will end up being a potentially killer feature is DLSS. They could use a 1080p or even something a little bigger like 1200p or 1440p and then use a combo of DLSS upscaling and frame generation to take the load off the GPU while still giving excellent image quality and framerates.

I hope the whole PC portable rage going on now convinces Nvidia to take a shot at an APU type design for a steam handheld. I doubt AMD would want to partner up but Intel has some excellent packaging designs so maybe the could come up with a reasonably low powered intel/nvidia design.

That or AMD could add a tensor core style functionality to their next RDNA design and make an FSR that's comparable to DLSS.

You really think the Switch 2 won't be more powerful than the deck? Even conservative estimates of the SoC put the T239 at ~3tflops, and that's with newer architecture.

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
I doubt AMD would want to partner up but Intel has some excellent packaging designs so maybe the could come up with a reasonably low powered intel/nvidia design.
AMD partnering with Nvidia not a chance. AMD partnering with Intel, well they already have. The i7 8890g was an intel cpu with RX Vega m graphics (similar to an rx 570 from what i've heard, but could be wrong) Intel could definitely partner with Nvidia though.

Reactions: AgentBirdnest
Sep 14, 2023
Nintendo decided it was going to be kids entertainment system since the Wii success, we just have to accept it. They want to profit by selling mlions of old and cheap hardware with easy to get games (homebrew) instead of "making a difference". Nintendo of the 64 and SNES days is long gone.. it's just like that great band that changes the vocalist over time but keeps the right to the name. Breath of the wild and Mario Odyssey were good games, but IMO that was it ... good games, that could have been so much better with the right philosophy and up to date hardware to back it up
Low specs for Nintendo consoles aren't a recent development. It's part of the DNA of Nintendo. Gunpei Yokoi was instrumental in bringing this idea to Nintendo. He called this philosophy "lateral thinking with withered technology". The NES/Famicom was a great example. It uses a 1.8 MHz 6502 CPU. The Atari 2600 used a 1.2 MHz 6502 CPU. Yet the NES feels more powerful thanks to adopting other technologies such as the PPU. The Gameboy uses an old monochrome screen. It was the dominant handheld console for over a decade. It used technology from the 1970s!

It's expected that Nintendo would take old technology and combine it in exciting ways. This doesn't make it a kids' console, but a different console.

NeoMorpheus

Reputable
Jun 8, 2021
The Gameboy uses an old monochrome screen. It was the dominant handheld console for over a decade. It used technology from the 1970s!
Dont forget the number one factor, price.

Those things were super cheap compared to the Lynx, Game Gear and Nomad.

All of those were more powerful and better systems, but also more expensive.

People didnt had money like many seems to these days, I mean, you have people running around now saying that a gpu for 1800 its a good price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS