News Nintendo Switch to Feature New Nvidia SoC

AgentLozen

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
Something like the Switch is a perfect situation for DLSS to really shine and bring enhanced visuals to lower powered portable devices!
I absolutely agree. DLSS works great for sharpening a game on your PC but it makes even more sense on a lower power, mobile platform like the Switch. There's no other way to get 4K video from the Switch without turning it into a 20 minute battery life oven.

Reactions: atomicWAR

tharkis842

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
This lines up with reports that have been going around for a while now, except that the new OLED screen won't be higher resolution, it's reportedly 720p like the original.

The inclusion of DLSS means one of two things:
  • It's an optional feature and only a few games will support it.
  • It's a system wide feature, which would have implications for this on the PC side
As for which SoC... My money is it's a variant of the Tegra Orin.

Giroro

Splendid
I still think an OLED screen is both unlikely (price) and would be a mistake (common parts usually use a pentile layout). But, at least DLSS is a way they could upscale to the high resolution needed to overcome the missing subpixels. It's still going to be a waste of power, but not nearly as bad as rendering to a higher resolution.

Maybe in portable they'll render at 720p and upscale to a 1080p OLED screen. The result would still look like 720p, but at least it wouldn't look any worse.
Or maybe they're getting custom screens made with full RGB pixels.

I really hope this isn't a pro console and rather a next gen device. Otherwise well only see a hand full of games take advantage of this hardware.
Considering the Switch only came out four years ago, it seems pretty unlikely that this would be a "next-gen" device, especially since Nintendo typically releases one or more updated versions of their portable devices before a generation is through. It's far more likely that this is simply going to be an updated Switch to replace the existing model, with better battery life, improved display and output resolution (probably through DLSS upscaling), and probably some other improvements and additions, and it will likely run the same games as the existing model.

If they did give it a higher-resolution screen, perhaps some more fully-fledged VR functionality (beyond the Labo kit) could be added, though I probably wouldn't count on it.

Last edited:
Reactions: atomicWAR

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
Considering the Switch only came out four years ago, it seems pretty unlikely that this would be a "next-gen" device, especially since Nintendo typically releases one or more updated versions of their portable devices before a generation is through. It's far more likely that this is simply going to be an updated Switch to replace the existing model, with better battery life, improved display and output resolution (probably through DLSS upscaling), and probably some other improvements and additions, and it will likely run the same games as the existing model.

If they did give it a higher-resolution screen, perhaps some more fully-fledged VR functionality (beyond the Labo kit) could be added, though I probably wouldn't count on it.

Yeah sadly I know you're right but I am crossing my fingers all the same.