Nintendo Wii

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

turkishdrummer

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2006
Im getting a Wii the day it comes out and I cant wait. My bros getting an xbox 360 for his b-day and i cant persuade him to buy a wii so ill have to buy it.

Jagster

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006
360 and PS3 are expensive and I'd rather put that money into gaming on my PC.
You realize the 360 is only $50 more than the Wii, don't you? If the 360 is expensive, what does that make the Wii? Almost expensive?

For that $50, you get a much much more powerful console with lots of AAA games already out and tons more coming out soon. You also get HD resolution, xbox live (available today and mature), media center extension, DVD player, Dolby Digital (I'm really shocked that Wii wont even support DD). All that and it keeps you warm on those cold winter nights 8)

Not that the Wii won't be a good choice for the right person, but to call the 360 expensive compared to the Wii is nonsense.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
360 and PS3 are expensive and I'd rather put that money into gaming on my PC.
You realize the 360 is only $50 more than the Wii, don't you? If the 360 is expensive, what does that make the Wii? Almost expensive?

For that $50, you get a much much more powerful console with lots of AAA games already out and tons more coming out soon. You also get HD resolution, xbox live (available today and mature), media center extension, DVD player. All that and it keeps you warm on those cold winter nights 8)

Not that the Wii won't be a good choice for the right person, but to call the 360 expensive compared to the Wii is nonsense.

:?:
The 360 is about $400 and the Wii will be $250. That's a $150 diffrence my friend. not $50. Not to mention the 360's games cost $10 more.

He is talking about the 299.99 Base unit but then you have to buy a game (well you could rent but thats even more expensive in the long run) The Wii comes with a game (cheesy game yes but at least you can open the box plug everything in and start playing) The Xbox 360 is indeed cheaper then the PS3 !!!
One last thing is that the developers are all backing the Wii and this will mean more games then any of the other systems.

Edit: Not that I dislike the 360 but the only game I have seen is Dead Rising, looks like a blast to me :)

flametank

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
For that $50, you get a much much more powerful console with lots of AAA games already out and tons more coming out soon. You also get HD resolution, xbox live (available today and mature), media center extension, DVD player, Dolby Digital (I'm really shocked that Wii wont even support DD). All that and it keeps you warm on those cold winter nights 8)

Watch this ...................................... - It's me not caring.
I still play my NES, games aren't about graphics or fancy bullshit to me, they're about plots and playability. Give me a 2d sprite based rpg or sidescroller over a flashy video (game) anyday.

P.S. game is in parenthesis for a reason.

Jagster

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006

I still play my NES, games aren't about graphics or fancy bullshit to me, they're about plots and playability. Give me a 2d sprite based rpg or sidescroller over a flashy video (game) anyday.

Like I said, the Wii will be a good choice for the right person (apparently you). My point was more about the OP calling the 360 expensive while inferring the Wii isn't. It was not some fanboyish post like your own. Unfortunately there is no defending PS3, it is expensive in comparison to 360 and Wii.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006

Like I said, the Wii will be a good choice for the right person (apparently you). My point was more about the OP calling the 360 expensive while inferring the Wii isn't. It was not some fanboyish post like your own. Unfortunately there is no defending PS3, it is expensive in comparison to 360 and Wii.

So far the only thing people have been saying to defend the price of the PS3 is that you get a blu ray player in the deal (wich would be great if you actualy wanted a blu ray deck....) I think the PS3 will make sense in a year or two when more people own HD TV's but right now its just too much $$$

flametank

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006

First of all, I am the OP. 2nd, how is saying that I enjoy games that are more than fancy graphics fanboyish. Unless I'm a fanboy to content rather than shiny things. I like the PS1 and 2, they had many good games, esp. ones made by Sqaure/Enix. I didn't like the 64 that much, mainly due to the PS1 having better games. The SEGA Gamegear was probably the best hand held at the time. It doesn't matter anyway, we all have our preferences.

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
JonathanDeane said:
At any rate the developers are fuly backing the Wii and we all knows that pretty much means this ones all wrapped up. Sony scared off the devs with the price of the console.

Not only that but developing for the Wii is very easy :roll: Same with the 360. I read on TH a while ago though that approximatley 1/3 of PS3 games got either cancelled or delayed because the PS3 is a bitch to develop for.

Edit: Also the emulation built in (I know its only software) but they have a good list NES,SNES,N64,Game Cube, Sega Master System, Sega Genisis, NEC Turbo Graphics, Is there any more ? (BTW Turbo Grahpics had some awesome games !)

Erm, Virtual boy?

nobly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
If you want to see close to pc gaming, check out Metroid Prime 3. Since they added the new expert control scheme, I can now kick some Pirate a$$ in style. Hell, they won't even have a chance to get a shot off anymore.

The Wii for me is worth these three games alone:
Metroid Prime 3
The Legend of Zelda - Twilight Princess
Super Smash Bros - Brawl (Solid Snake!!!)
oooo super smash bros i totally forgot about that.
smash brothers is so much fun with 3 friends. i wonder if they could allow more players...

the 360 just doesn't hold any appeal to me anymore. the only reason i'd get one is halo 3... but after the horribly disappointing plot line in halo 2, i'm not going to rush out and buy one for halo 3. i'd rather just wait and play it on my friend's console.

the wii just is much more attractive in terms of price ($50 does make a difference - that's like 1 wii game!), fun, replayability, and just pure goofiness. plus the nostalgic chance to play all of the old nintendo games is pretty hard to resist. plus those are supposed to be cheaper too, $5-$10.
http://wii.ign.com/articles/732/732669p1.html

i can just see myself living off of the download games until the new game prices come down. except smash bros of course.. :p

ryokinshin

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
first of all there are wayy too many ppl omg new controller, revolutionize everything, when obviously the wiimote isnt the greatest for many reasons.

im looking at the downside of all this cuz its gonna happen, yet ppl will be hyping it till death do them part. the wii will hav more gimmicks then every other console combined, given there will be hit games since nintendo is finally fixing a bunch of their old mistakes, and since its cheap to develop for, its easier to put out half baked games

to me the average person looks at the ps3, sees the price at 600, and first says omg expensive. then looks at everything it can do(and if the features are of the quality sort) then ppl will go, great i dont need to upgrade my pc or buy a new one, i can do a lot of stuf rite on my hdtv instead of a small moniter

does the 500-600 value make sense to me, yes, u dont need to upgrade or mess with the hardware for 5 years, compared to the pc wich has upgrades every 6 months thats a lot, considering msot ppl dont buy the high end gaming cards(except us lmao)

and the wii being 50 less then the 360? well the 360 does compete with the pc and so does the ps3, even though it dosnt beat a high end system

the attachment for the controller is another problem, there will be so many half assed attachments they will make that u hav to buy to use for a game and the controllers themselves cost 60 for the analog and wiimote, its not really a full controller unless u get both

lastly? the controller vs dual analog controllers, stil a lot of debate going on wether this will finally overtake it, to me? the dual analog has at least this gen to go. nhl 07 although not the greatest game, took dual analog a diff direction wich is nice to see then jus standard buttons for actions, analog stick to move

wil wii be a gd console, imo sure, it will save nintendo console side since it has something over the others. will the bs and crap folo it, hell yes. on another note ps3 games will be the same price as 360 games

me? i got a 360 for bioshock, dead rising, graw and the star wars 2007 game, things i want on the best res on my hdtv, do i think i ps3 is worth it sure, native 1080p rendering instead of 720p, so many multimedia features that can be used as long as their not broken, its fine by me.

i can see why a lot of pc gamers wouldnt buy a ps3 or 360 though, weve got our comps to play the cutting edge games, so we dont need another system thats mainly for those games

devs complaining about the ps3 being hard to dev for, are u serious, somethines hard then lets jus drop it and dev for something easy and cheap. if everyone was lik this we wouldnt hav any complex games out there. once a few game engines start rolling out for the ps3 it will be a lot easier to devp for since the code would be more familiar, the cell processor has a little too much power, but all that can be put to gd use to gfx, physics, sound, ai, watever

and i hate ppl that say theyed jus rather play 2d games cuz they were better in terms of gameplay, a sidescroller with a boss that has a million hp since they cant be anymore creative with the game dosnt sound good to me. the mechs of a game and the content need to complement each other, not one over the other. if a powerful console has a bunch of games that tell great stories, and hav the nicest gfx and sound, well isnt that much better then choosing one over the other

my god that was a long post/rant watever makes u ppl happy
my

any arguements, discussing this stuf is always fun lmao

TSIMonster

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
I'll definately be pre-ordering one. A Zelda bundle would be nice. Personally, I love my Gamecube, I have went through all the Resident Evils on it, all 3 Prince of Persia Games, Smash Brothers, Zelda, Mario, and a slew of other games that I LOVE. My gamecube has outlasted my xbox, and my friends PS2 and is taking way more abuse (I take it on trips alot to play in the car, or at the hotel at night) The Ps3 and 360 will have some games I'll wanna play, but I think Sony made the mistake of putting FF12 on the PS2, they shoulda waited.

Anyway, Wii will definately be on my preorder list.

ryokinshin

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
Well like when the 64 first came out there will be a learning curve on the Wii controler.
And who will want to pay 600 for a system that is trying to be a PC. When they can take that same 600 and upgrade there system to be good for a couple more years. Even if the new systems last 5 years i wouldn't want any new games that are made for it 5 years from now. Then who knows what kind of graphics you would be missing out on when you could be playing that same game on your PC. Not to mention you will be able to buy the PC version for almost 20 less then the PS3. Heck look at Oblivion. You get a much better gaming exsperiance on the PC then on the 360. They had to dumb down the graphics to get it to run on the 360. Pluss you don't have the ability to download mods or use alot of the exstra features that are on the PC.
Bottom line is the Wii isn't trying to get the hard core gamers. They are leaving that to the PC. There objective is the party gamers and those who have a job and a family and don't have 4 hours a day to devote to a game. The Wii will have more interactive games. So you will actually have to get off your ass and do somthing to get through the game.
Besides most people i know who have spent the money on a nice HDTV have it hooked up to the PC.
More and More you are seeing games made for both consol and PC. Unless it's a developer owned by the Consol. In the 360's case all microsoft titles will be availible on the PC as well. In the case of the Wii there will be very few titles that will be availible for the PC do to the unique abilities of the controler needed to play the game. Not to mention the large base of games that can be dowloaded to the system. Thw Wii is the system for all ages. Personaly i hate it when parents are buying an M rated game for there 10 year old and syaing oh they just love playing these games and they would kill me if i didn't get it for them. I had that happen when Vise city came out and i was manager of electronics in Wal-Mart. Too many parents just let there kids do whatever they want. That's why the US is so fat. Kids sitting on the ass all day infront of some mindless game. The Wii will get them up and moving. And heven forbid if they have to think to get through a game.
The Wii will be getting my money.

ur 600 comp system wont be as gd as a ps3 and all that upgrading wont help unless u stick with high end parts, the fact that u move when u play the wii makes up for the bad parenting? waving ur arm around isnt exercise. and when oblivion came out, ur gonna need at least 2k to get a comp to run oblivion better then the 360.

in 5 years ud get a ps4, xb watever and that will hav the nxt gen hardware, why would u want to upgrade at all. this isnt from my point of view, the average consumer would not want to do that.

all 360 games will be for the pc? ps3 games will mostly be ported to the pc, u are generalizing way too much, u think the wii wont hav m rated games? im guesing re4 and killer 7 were kids games. the wii is for all types of ppl and non gamers, wich mean hardcore gamers as well, the godfather? yea dont tell me thats a kids game. u shouldnt stereotype the console ur getting. most ppl dont want to buy upwards of 1000 dollar gaming pcs that wont match up to consoles now, they buy a console wich cost a few hundred and now hav a lot of multimedia features so they abandon buy a higher end pc for anything

the price of buying a ps2 at launch and a ps3 at launch dosnt even hit 1k, throw in an hdtv, hell id get an hdtv even for the wii, and its around 1k. so uve got things that wont need upgrading for around 2k, while a high end system that will beat the ps3 on release will cost more then that already, and im talking playing at the same resolutions and not dropping in performance

besides system get optimised as the years past, so the best gfx wont be coming out till the end of its lifecycle

flametank

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
and i hate ppl that say theyed jus rather play 2d games cuz they were better in terms of gameplay, a sidescroller with a boss that has a million hp since they cant be anymore creative with the game dosnt sound good to me. the mechs of a game and the content need to complement each other, not one over the other. if a powerful console has a bunch of games that tell great stories, and hav the nicest gfx and sound, well isnt that much better then choosing one over the other

Have you ever actually played a NES or SNES before? There are tons of excellent 2d rpg's for the SNES that will probably never be matched in terms of gameplay and story line. I'm thinking Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Earthbound, Lufia 1 and 2 and tons more. What about great games like Zelda 1-3, most Mega Man games, Castlevania 1-3, Super Mario Bros 3, Adventures of Lolo and tons more. You complain about people over generalizing consoles and you did the same thing. Some of the most creative and unique game play experiences I've had were in pre-3d games.

I look at most 3d games out there today. If it's not a button masher, or FPS, it's a combo based game (such as God of War, the games they made for Lord of the Rings and more) or an rpg that may or may not have a good story line, but half the game is cut scenes. Where's the creativity and content here? I think the pain staking struggle of the program to make the water or sky look real hurt the rest of the game...

One of the best examples I can think of for content vs. graphics is Command and Conquer. The first two were works of art, great story line, excellent cut scenes and pretty hard gameplay (comparatively). Then Generals comes along and makes me want to die. Terrible story line to no story line at all, no cut scenes and I sat back and beat that game in 2 or 3 days of semi casual play. Sure the graphics were good, but that is not what I care about. To me, since the Wii isn't trying to have the best graphics or the best processor, game play will not suffer as much.

I know I may have stereotyped some sh!t too, but oh well.

TSIMonster

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
You can't forget Marios DDR Remix!! lol

Does anyone know if RE5 will be on Wii at all, or is it PS3 exclusive? I sure hope Halo3 comes out on PC as well

flametank

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
Halo 3 WILL be out on the PC, there's no doubt about that. They will probably just wait until they sell a bunch to 360 users first. RE5 is not advertised to be out on the Wii, but it is supposed to be on the 360.

ryokinshin

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
i agree with u that they work too hard on gfx, but it should die down after this gen, since it is the "lifelike"effects and models etc that weve wanted, we jus need it to be like the movie industry, when its so good that gfx dont matter

halo 3 for pc will come out a few years after halo 3 360 comes out......why the hell would i wait that long for one game

personally i think nintendo is rong about one thing, advancing realism in game, is part of innovation. and if they think that there wont be many gimmicks on the wii...well wont they be in for a surprise

ur telling me that prey was a bad game? oblivion? half life 2? fear? i guess anything that promotes nxt gen visuals are not capable of putting out good games

flametank

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
i agree with u that they work too hard on gfx, but it should die down after this gen, since it is the "lifelike"effects and models etc that weve wanted, we jus need it to be like the movie industry, when its so good that gfx dont matter

halo 3 for pc will come out a few years after halo 3 360 comes out......why the hell would i wait that long for one game

personally i think nintendo is rong about one thing, advancing realism in game, is part of innovation. and if they think that there wont be many gimmicks on the wii...well wont they be in for a surprise

ur telling me that prey was a bad game? oblivion? half life 2? fear? i guess anything that promotes nxt gen visuals are not capable of putting out good games

I'm not saying all new games are bad, just most of them. F.E.A.R. is one of the best games I have ever played. Oblivion wasn't that good IMO. And I'll never understand why people write "ur". "You're" is not that hard to type, expect for maybe the apostrophe. Anyway, I'm just teasing.

infornography42

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
I like my good graphics, but I like my story, characters, and plot more.

If I can get both, then awesome! But I would take an ugly fun game over a pretty one that was less entertaining.

Hell I just picked up Disgaea 2 as a perfect example. Not exactly cutting edge graphics or realism, but damn if it hasn't had me hoplessly addicted for weeks.

There is something to be said for realism that pulls you in, but its the story, characters, gameplay, and plot that make it meaningful.

I recently went back and played Deus Ex. It made me wish there was a sequel to that game, or maybe an expansion. You know something that really lived up to the fun of the original. (no, there was no sequel to Deus Ex... any game with that name beyond the original does not exist, quit fooling yourself ;-p )

ryokinshin

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
im us saying a new controller dosnt mean better gameplay, ppl can half ass their games on the wii jus because its cheaper and easier to dev for, and the full potential of the wiimote might not even be used

cautious is the word im looking for

itneal2277

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2006

All games that focus on graphic quality aren't bad games but many are. Doom 3 is a perfect example. Compared to the past releases, that game was sub-par as far as gameplay. I often think that game would be an even bigger disaster if it didn't have the good old "DOOM" name to carry it on. This just goes to show that good games too often go bad because graphics is put before gameplay.

My only concern for the Wii is this. Nintendo has always produced amazing first party games (and this alone will make the Wii worth having). Second party games have been great as well with companies like Retro (now owned by Nintendo), SEGA and Capcom have provided second party games on occasion, and even RARE at one point in time. But the problem with Nintendo systems as of late has been third party support. About half way through the N64's life, 3rd party games started to suck. The game ports were poor and none of the developers even tried to customize their games to Nintendo's hardware. Until 3rd party developers are willing to go the extra mile and make their software fit with Nintendo hardware, then Nintendo's consoles will never be as great as they once were in the 80's and early 90's.

Personally, I'll be buying a Wii for great gameplay and the library of amazing games that it will support. I'll be using my PC for all eye candy and for playing all the good 3rd party games that people screwed up on the Wii. For those who say that XBOX 360 a PS3 have better cost/performance your right, but for how long? The PC world moves much faster than consoles. As soon as the DX10 cards come out, PC's will be able to match these system but the costs will be higher. By the middle/end of 2007, the second generation of GPUs may already be out making the cost lower and giving better performance.

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
i can see why a lot of pc gamers wouldnt buy a ps3 or 360 though, weve got our comps to play the cutting edge games, so we dont need another system thats mainly for those games

Probably the best thing I have seen written in this thread. Great point and best suited for the forum that it was written in. If this was an argument in a forum from a console gaming website, it would be completely different.

Also, why does it have to be called Wii? That is so annoying! Call it the Revolution in the USA and Europe and call it the Wii in Asia and wherever. I think the name is going to cost some sales in America, as dumb an idea as that sounds, I think it will be true.

rman3349

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2006
Not only am I totally stoked about the Wii (minus the lame name, Revolution was way better), but the titles for it will be awesome, which hurt gamecube. Redsteel, Mario, Zelda, Smash, Metroid will all be top-teir games. I'm especially pumped for Red Steel because it's a Wii-only title that is a good hardcore FPS, not all cartoon =-ish like many GC games. I also have not owned a nintendo product since the 64, which I recently sold. Bottom line, I'm psyched!

Just adding to the 2D games comment. I think i'd rather 2D games these days. I can remember how frustrating Mario 64 and Resident Evil were with there bad camera angels and controls. man final fantasy and chrono trigger were awsome 2D games and im still playing them today