Nissan Unveils Car That Drives and Parks Itself

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
"Brake! Brake! Brake now, you Mickey Mouse-piece of ****!" Does it come with secure foam?

I love the idea of a self-driving car. Nissan should keep going with this and so should everyone else. There are a dozen things I'd rather be doing than driving, especially if I'm stuck in traffic. Having the car do things on its own is very appealing to me. I do have to wonder how the computer would behave in the presence of poorly marked roads. Plenty of roads in Maryland have nearly completely worn lines or lines that were put down by drunken highway construction crews judging from the way the stripes weave back and forth.

seriousgamer

Honorable
Sep 26, 2012
@bigdragon, do you really want those irresponsible teenagers controlling a car with their smartphones while they're playing angry birds or what ever crap they do right now? How about texting/talking on their phones. This also applies to adults btw.

Sounds like Nissan is a few decades behind Google's auto drive car and others. As I recall in the 80's they had an RV that had about these same capabilities in university testing.

I imagine Google's is a package of past research from universities and other organizations that it bought the rights to. Google's solution is the only practical one. In which the car needs to read road markings and watch cars around it. Something that requires all sorts sensors in the roadways, parking lots, &c and only works with other autonomous cars is impractical.

Although Google's solution is hardly new. It's just another step forward. As I recall about a decade ago autonomous cars had already hit the 50 mph mark, handle moderate traffic and most road conditions. Which means it could even do dirt roads.

I don't even see the point in this article. It's like talking about someone coming out with a new 8086 and floppy drive when Intel has the Core i7 and SSD.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
If you can not park a car yourself you should not have a driver's license in your pocket.
All these gadgets take the fun out of "driving".

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Seriously what happens if it hits something whilst in auto with no-one it? What if someone hit it? Who is liable? Where does the law stand on driverless cars in accidents? I am sure we would like to know before we actually rush out and buy!

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
And what if I hit it, because I saw nobody was in it and thought the car was stationery? Who in their right mind would ever expect an empty vehicle to move? Will it then have tinted windows? Is that accident my fault? What if it was in auto mode and there was an emergency vehicle behind, would it know it needs to give way as required by law, and then be able to distinguish between an emergency vehicle and some tailgater in a rush? Can an autonomously moving car be considered as having exercised due control of the vehicle at all times? What if I was over the legal alcohol limit but the car was moving autonomously? What if my daughter who is under the age of driving limit executed the command to call the vehicle on her phone, is that considered under-age driving, or driving without a license? These are just questions I can think of in 5 minutes.

vaughn2k

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
They should be developing cars which does not need fossil fuels to power, and make it commercialized. The oil and gas industry is robbing people and making more and more money from us.

IQ11110002

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
What if you feel like a snack or drink on the way to it's destination and want to stop at a service station.
What if some of you out there have kids and they suddenly need to pee or are about to be sick in the car.
There are a lot of what if's that are easily solved if you are the driver! Self driving cars seem pointless if you want automated transport then use public transport,hail a taxi or win lotto and be chauffeur driven everywhere. ;)
Seems like another attempt at taking away ones freedoms, What next a car that detects you haven't had 8 hours sleep you have only had 7.59 so it won't let you in the car,Would make a good comedy sketch some of these scenarios!

giovanni86

Distinguished
May 10, 2007

Fun out of driving.. I don't call 1-2 hours stuck in traffic fun. Even if its my job where i make tons of money to make my living. Fun, you mean in NFS or GT5 where your driving really fast and just stomping out the competition while your listening to some amazing tunes in the game. I mean yeah thats fun, but real life fun in a car mmm i would find it somewhat annoying, i rather have the car drive while i stay productive doing something else rather then stopping and going(maybe play a game or read a book or talk on the phone could be one of the many other things i rather do with my time then sit a car). I honestly wish we had a damn teleporter already so i can just teleport to work and back home. Forget driving all together, after all no matter how efficient a car becomes it still has tires on it made from oil. :sleep: Keep up the good work Nissan, though the car still looks ugly in my opinion. I rather see the volt do this.

arnoldlouie

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012
This is GREAT!.. until you're driving your car with your phone and the phone goes battery empty...
or you're phone got stolen and he played need for speed with your car... I guess this things never happen...

waxdart

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]arnoldlouie[/nom]This is GREAT!.. until you're driving your car with your phone and the phone goes battery empty... or you're phone got stolen and he played need for speed with your car... I guess this things never happen...[/citation]
It is in Japan. They have phone charging stations in phone shops and theft is minimal. If you lose the phone, you'll just have to park you car like normal.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
wait...my android system locked up...can't seem to control the car....this is the dumbest thing ever, i actually like driving, and i like it a lot

amdwilliam1985

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]wait...my android system locked up...can't seem to control the car....this is the dumbest thing ever, i actually like driving, and i like it a lot[/citation]

Better than iOS iphone that slows down so badly that you can hardly navigate, also, what's with the battery life? A fully charged iphone 4(with ios 5 or 6) can run down to 0% in 2 hours.
Shitty phones got a lot of angry customers.

tomaz99

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
This should be titled Lame Nissan car drives 5mph

The Google car has been racking up thousands of miles on regular roads at regular speeds.

This looks like 10 year old tech put through a 'smart' phone in an attempt to make it cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.