Nitro 480 vs 1060 aftermarket

Aziru

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
Looking for a new gpu plus power supply . My budget is 300$ . I have been looking at the gtx 1060 or the rx 480. I have always been a green team fan but the idea of no sli compatibility feels lazy by nvidia. I've always been worried about the red team because I heard their cards draw more power and the drivers are sub par? What would you guys do in my position?

Solution
AMD GPUs as of late have been drawing more power than Nvidia's. Some people will say AMD drivers suck and some say NVIDIA drivers suck. I've had my fair share of problems with both so it's really a wash. The 480 has been showing better performance in DX12/Vulkan titles, Nvidia wins in DX11, so it depends on which one matters more to you. The deciding factor really is the price. Nitro+ 480 and MSI Gaming 1060 are the same price on newegg, so for me I'd have to go 1060.

anonymousdude

Distinguished
AMD GPUs as of late have been drawing more power than Nvidia's. Some people will say AMD drivers suck and some say NVIDIA drivers suck. I've had my fair share of problems with both so it's really a wash. The 480 has been showing better performance in DX12/Vulkan titles, Nvidia wins in DX11, so it depends on which one matters more to you. The deciding factor really is the price. Nitro+ 480 and MSI Gaming 1060 are the same price on newegg, so for me I'd have to go 1060.

Solution

usermax

Reputable
Jul 26, 2015
For gamers having to choose between a RX 480 or a GTX 1060 is heaven as they both kick butt. But lets look at something here. We are moving forward in technology with more and more titles supporting DX 12 and Vulkan. When you take that into account then there is only one card for you and that's the RX 480.

A good show of how the new low level API's perform when devs go that route right from the get go is DOOM. PCgamer had a article where the RX 480 was as much as 50% faster in Vulkan doom than a GTX 1060. This is the future of gaming and the GTX cards do not support Async compute at the Hardware level. Protect you investment by being ready for the future or you could Buy a GTX 1060 then 6 months from now look at how the RX 480 is blowing you away in performance in almost EVERY title as DirectX 12 and Vulkan become the API of choice.

Devs like to make their games run as fast as possible and look down right beautiful. With DirectX12 and /or Vulkan they see HUGE gains in performance which allows them to turn up the detail to 12 if you get my meaning.

If you are worried about power draw or heat don't be. A RX 480 AiB only draws at most 20 more watts from the wall and some times as low as only 1 more watt for a WHOLE SYSTEM DRAW ( the whole pc power draw from the wall, this is how it should ALWAYS be measured ) and as far as Heat goes right now The AiB RX 480's are WELL below the Temps of the GTX 1080 and 1070 and on par with the 1060. Don't let poor cooling reference cards fool you. The RX 480 ref coolers were some of the worst coolers i have EVER seen.