Nixeus Joins AMD FreeSync Ranks With 24-Inch Full HD Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
A 1080p, 24" FreeSync monitor AND only 350?

Finally, something I can look up to. I both didn't need a 2K display and neither would I've forked over 500 dollars for a monitor.

But this monitor look like a sweet deal.

childofthekorn

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
Whats the range on FreeSync on this monitor. AMD specs states 9-75hz, however there are monitors with a 40Hz minimum. AMD needs to get off their butts and fund a monitor to be developed within their specs so we can see the respective cost and actually get a competitive freesync monitor.

alextheblue

Distinguished

Finally, something I can look up to. I both didn't need a 2K display and neither would I've forked over 500 dollars for a monitor.

It's even better than that. You left out that it has a very high refresh rate and low response time. Then, if you look at the chart, the NX-VUE24B model with the basic stand (all I need personally) is only $330. Not sure why this wasn't mentioned in the article.

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Great article, really sold me on the LG 29UM67. The pricing quoted is a bit different. the LG 29UM67 is a $450 ultra wide IPS monitor with FreeSync. Its on sale for $309.99 through Amazon. I will take 5ms refresh rate IPS panel monitor for $300 any day of the week over a 24" TN panel monitor.

I considered talking over it in the article, but felt that the chart did a suitable job of showing this itself.

Glad you enjoyed the article. I was using the Microcenter price of the LG display is why it is a little bit lower, though the $309.99 price on Amazon isn't bad considering that includes free shipping. So that is why you are seeing a discrepancy.

It is a bit sad that high refresh rates are so expensive. 1920x1080 TN panel costing more than 2560x1080 IPS panel because it's 144 Hz instead of 60.

But good on Nixeus for at least pushing 144 Hz Freesync to a reasonably affordable price point.

semitope

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006

That would only be impressive if it were IPS. eg the 24 inch 144Mhz 1ms TN Asus acer etc monitors are cheaper. Freesync was supposed to not cost more or much more. If the panel quality doesn't even match these then it's not impressive at all. These companies are hindering the proliferation of this technology.

Freesync is going to be more expensive for the time being, the manufacturers do have to put some work into their scalers, and it is a clear value-add. It's just not supposed to be nearly as big a premium as G-Sync - and actual products bear out that prediction.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
I just pulled this off the website:

"When paired with AMD FreeSync™ technology, the game’s variable frame rate output will be synchronized to the NX-VUE24’s variable refresh rate range of 30Hz to 144Hz to minimize or eliminate screen tearing and stuttering for a smoother viewing experience."

alextheblue

Distinguished
I considered talking over it in the article, but felt that the chart did a suitable job of showing this itself.

Well in the article body you only state that it costs $349, many people are going to take that at face value and not look at the chart for any corrections. Just look at the first comment. He didn't notice. It's not a big deal, but it wouldn't have been that hard to say that the monitor MSRP is $329-349 depending on which stand you want.

I just pulled this off the website:

"When paired with AMD FreeSync™ technology, the game’s variable frame rate output will be synchronized to the NX-VUE24’s variable refresh rate range of 30Hz to 144Hz to minimize or eliminate screen tearing and stuttering for a smoother viewing experience."

Good catch, eklipz! That would be worth updating the article for IMO. That's an excellent refresh range, so long as there's no firmware bugs. I think it would be good to round up and test some budget adaptive sync monitors one of these days when there's more competition in the ~$300 range.

pasow

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2012

But doesn't 2k equal roughly 2048x1080 and not the WQHD/2.5k 2560x1440 that those other displays are? as such, wouldn't 1920x1080 actually be the closest thing to the 2k standard?

childofthekorn

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
Whats the range on FreeSync on this monitor. AMD specs states 9-75hz, however there are monitors with a 40Hz minimum. AMD needs to get off their butts and fund a monitor to be developed within their specs so we can see the respective cost and actually get a competitive freesync monitor.

Wow, -5. Apparently everyone is into buzzwords instead of things that actually work.

alextheblue

Distinguished

Wow, -5. Apparently everyone is into buzzwords instead of things that actually work.

I think it was more that you were putting the onus on AMD, when FreeSync is just AMD's marketing name for their implementation of the open Adaptive Sync standard. Kind of up to monitor manufacturers to do whatever they want. Anyway as eklipz pointed out, this monitor has an excellent range AS operating range of 30 to 144. If I'm dipping below 30 I'd have to drop settings anyway to fix input lag. It starts at $330. Very competitive.

childofthekorn

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013

I think it was more that you were putting the onus on AMD, when FreeSync is just AMD's marketing name for their implementation of the open Adaptive Sync standard. Kind of up to monitor manufacturers to do whatever they want. Anyway as eklipz pointed out, this monitor has an excellent range AS operating range of 30 to 144. If I'm dipping below 30 I'd have to drop settings anyway to fix input lag. It starts at $330. Very competitive.

Eklipz made that comment some time after I posted mine, and he pulled it off the manufacturers site where as they didn't mention it here on toms. I appreciate you bringing that to my attention. I'm glad to see a manufacturer was able to go from 30-144hz as I'm a fan of efficiency (GPU not producing more frames than is necessary) although it would've been nice if toms provided this info in the article itself. I'd like to see that FreeSync spec used in more 21:9 monitors.

Status
Not open for further replies.