[SOLVED] No 24 pin connector, only 6 and 8

Sep 17, 2020
No 24 pin connector, only 6 and 8

Hello everyone,

I received a new PC as a gift and I am trying to add a new graphics card and PSU When I unplugged the original PSU, there was only connections to 6 and 8 pins. There is no 24 pin connector so I was wondering what I can do to fix this? I saw online that I could get an adapter but I’m not exactly sure what this means. I’ve never done anything like this before and I’ve just been trying to watch as many videos as I can to try to do this replacement right.

Here are the connectors: View: https://imgur.com/gallery/2nn7apb

I am trying to add RX 580 and Seasonic Focus GM 550 to Acer Aspire TC-895-ua92.

Pleae let me know anything I’ve forgotten to add.

Thanks!

Solution
Yes, that system is NOT upgradeable with standard form factor parts. It's proprietary. Case, power supply and motherboard are ALL proprietary. Acer, Dell, HP, Lenovo, basically ALL prebuilt OEM system manufacturers do this with at least some of their systems. Generally, the less expensive or workstation focused models. If you can return it, more power to you.

Building a system with the graphics card and power supply you've purchased is a much better idea than trying to do anything with that prebuilt system.

As far as the motherboard connections are concerned, the 6 pin plugs into the 6 pin socket on the motherboard and the four pin connector should be plugged into one side of the 8 pin CPU EPS power connector.
Please post a picture of the back of your tower and also the label on the side of your current power supply. They do make adapters for some of these proprietary connections in order to adapt them to these proprietary OEM systems HOWEVER, OFTEN when that is needed, that system HAS a proprietary power supply or motherboard form factor that does not allow a direct replacement with an aftermarket standard form factor model. This is EXACTLY why OEM type systems are not good candidates in most cases for upgrades other than very basic ones such as adding additional memory, changing out storage drives or swapping in very low powered graphics cards that don't require more than slot power to operate.

That's an Acer proprietary motherboard. It looks like the 8 pin is for the CPU and the 6 pin is for the mainboard.
Unfortunately you won't be able to install a standard ATX PSU like that Seasonic you bought.

You'll need to either stick with your original PSU or ask Acer support for upgrade options on your PSU.

You're very limited when it comes to upgrading these prebuilts from Dell, HP, Acer etc.

Sep 17, 2020
Please post a picture of the back of your tower and also the label on the side of your current power supply. They do make adapters for some of these proprietary connections in order to adapt them to these proprietary OEM systems HOWEVER, OFTEN when that is needed, that system HAS a proprietary power supply or motherboard form factor that does not allow a direct replacement with an aftermarket standard form factor model. This is EXACTLY why OEM type systems are not good candidates in most cases for upgrades other than very basic ones such as adding additional memory, changing out storage drives or swapping in very low powered graphics cards that don't require more than slot power to operate.

Here is the PSU label and back of tower. View: https://imgur.com/gallery/VBaGjbY

Thanks!

That's an Acer proprietary motherboard. It looks like the 8 pin is for the CPU and the 6 pin is for the mainboard.
Unfortunately you won't be able to install a standard ATX PSU like that Seasonic you bought.

You'll need to either stick with your original PSU or ask Acer support for upgrade options on your PSU.

You're very limited when it comes to upgrading these prebuilts from Dell, HP, Acer etc.

I’ll contact Acer to see what I can do. Thanks!!

Non standard form factor either... you're pretty much stuck with this.
A GPU upgrade is really sketchy... some of these proprietary boards have PCIe power limits(35W usually) on the x16 slot and won't even provide the full 75W.

Do you have a 6 pin PCIe connector on that PSU(outside the one that goes into the motherboard)?

If you don't, simply put I don't see how you can upgrade this prebuilt with decent graphics... there are some GTX 1050s(or maybe the 1650 without plugging the 6 pin) that don't require a 6 pin, but they're quite poor in terms of performance really.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2020
Non standard form factor either... you're pretty much stuck with this.
A GPU upgrade is really sketchy... some of these proprietary boards have PCIe power limits(35W usually) on the x16 slot and won't even provide the full 75W.

Do you have a 6 pin PCIe connector on that PSU(outside the one that goes into the motherboard)?

If you don't, simply put I don't see how you can upgrade this prebuilt with decent graphics... there are some GTX 1050s(or maybe the 1650 without plugging the 6 pin) that don't require a 6 pin, but they're quite poor in terms of performance really.

The PSU has 2 connectors, a 4 pin and 6 pin one. I think I’m just going to see if I can get this PC returned and make my own with the graphics card and psu that I’ve already gotten.

I’m trying to put everything back together how it was before but I don’t remember which connector went in which holes. Do I plug the connector with 4 pins into the 8 slot connector or do I plug the 6 pins into the 8 slot connector?

Thanks!

The PSU has 2 connectors, a 4 pin and 6 pin one. I think I’m just going to see if I can get this PC returned and make my own with the graphics card and psu that I’ve already gotten.

I’m trying to put everything back together how it was before but I don’t remember which connector went in which holes. Do I plug the connector with 4 pins into the 8 slot connector or do I plug the 6 pins into the 8 slot connector?

Thanks!

The 4 pin should go in the 8 pin CPU connector and the 6 pin should be for the mainboard as far as I can tell.

Yes, that system is NOT upgradeable with standard form factor parts. It's proprietary. Case, power supply and motherboard are ALL proprietary. Acer, Dell, HP, Lenovo, basically ALL prebuilt OEM system manufacturers do this with at least some of their systems. Generally, the less expensive or workstation focused models. If you can return it, more power to you.

Building a system with the graphics card and power supply you've purchased is a much better idea than trying to do anything with that prebuilt system.

As far as the motherboard connections are concerned, the 6 pin plugs into the 6 pin socket on the motherboard and the four pin connector should be plugged into one side of the 8 pin CPU EPS power connector.

Solution