[SOLVED] No 24 pin connectors.

Nov 7, 2022
I recently bought a new 750 W Gold PSU for the Acer Nitro N50 and i noticed that it didnt have the 24 pin power connector, only the 6 pin connector and the PCI-E cable fitted perfectly.

What should i do. buy an adapter or buy a new motherboard?

do you have a better and cheaper solution?

Thank you!

Solution
Can you confirm that the computer has a standard I/O panel? The boards I am seeing from the Nitro seem to have one. Should be a perfect rectangle that surrounds the rear I/O and is capable of being popped out. If it does, then I think you are right that a Mini-ITX board will fit.

The Acer board is proprietary, but it does appear to have standard Mini ITX mounting holes. What makes theirs special is that the front I/O is hard built into the motherboard. So any replacement motherboard would mean abandoning the front audio and usb ports. Possibly the power switch and reset switch would also be non-functional. So you will either have to rig something up to act as a power button or just short the standby pin to ground permanently like I...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
There is an Acer Nitro N50 motherboard with no 24-pin connector. Only 4+4 and a 6-pin. I am not sure if these are wired in the standard way. There are quite a few revisions of the Acer Nitro n50, so you will want to verify which one you have before getting any adapters.

This complicates things when it comes to turning the system on, though you should be able to short the standby pin to a ground pin and the PSU will fire up when the power switch is flipped. Not ideal, but a simple workaround AS LONG AS THE 6-pin IS A STANDARD WIRING.

Reactions: mossay
Nov 7, 2022
There is an Acer Nitro N50 motherboard with no 24-pin connector. Only 4+4 and a 6-pin. I am not sure if these are wired in the standard way. There are quite a few revisions of the Acer Nitro n50, so you will want to verify which one you have before getting any adapters.

This complicates things when it comes to turning the system on, though you should be able to short the standby pin to a ground pin and the PSU will fire up when the power switch is flipped. Not ideal, but a simple workaround AS LONG AS THE 6-pin IS A STANDARD WIRING.
Thank you, i think the easiest and best way is to probably buy a new motherboard to not complicate it! What do you think?

Thanks!

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
That would be the ideal solution, but you will need to re-install Windows and all that.

Based on the images I found you will also need a new computer chassis. The N50 has a very proprietary shape, a standard motherboard will not fit in that Acer case.

Nov 7, 2022
That would be the ideal solution, but you will need to re-install Windows and all that.

Based on the images I found you will also need a new computer chassis. The N50 has a very proprietary shape, a standard motherboard will not fit in that Acer case.
Isn't the case a mini tower? Like the mini ATX, doesn't that fit inside of it?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Can you confirm that the computer has a standard I/O panel? The boards I am seeing from the Nitro seem to have one. Should be a perfect rectangle that surrounds the rear I/O and is capable of being popped out. If it does, then I think you are right that a Mini-ITX board will fit.

The Acer board is proprietary, but it does appear to have standard Mini ITX mounting holes. What makes theirs special is that the front I/O is hard built into the motherboard. So any replacement motherboard would mean abandoning the front audio and usb ports. Possibly the power switch and reset switch would also be non-functional. So you will either have to rig something up to act as a power button or just short the standby pin to ground permanently like I mentioned previously, and then use the PSU switch to turn the system on and off. (That is all the power switch does by the way, short the standby to ground, so any low voltage (or high voltage actually) push button switch is enough.

A new chassis would avoid all that. You could then have standard front I/O/ power switch and all that.

Reactions: mossay
Solution