No access to my temporary files folder, can't download stuff,

pattyismad

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
I am in an endless string of issues.

Issue #1: All of a sudden, I couldn't print .pdf files (various adobe error messages in different browsers, or messages telling me I hadn't selected a print range - yes I did!).
Issue #2. I followed some advice and uninstalled Adobe Reader, then tried to re-install it. I can't re-install it. When I try to re-install using Internet Explorer, I get the first two dialogue boxes where I checked "run," but the third dialog box I am supposed to get, according to Adobe, never pops up - the one that is suposed to ask me if I want to grant permission). I temporarily disabled my software security and tried again, but the third box never comes up. The adobe instruction page just sits there - no signs of life, download activity, brainwave activity, etc.
Issue #3. I followed more advice and tried to install Adobe Reader using a different browser - Mozilla. Just for fun, the issues are different this browser - still can't download, but this browser tells me "unable to write to temp. directory C:users\myname\appData\local\temp\29061 error = 3 = > The system cannot find the path specified" It tells me to change my permissions, or save elsewhere. It never gives me the opportunity of a choice to save it elsewhere, and I can't get access to the folder to change permissions. I can't find it, after getting advice on how to find it. It's just not there! I am the administrator of this home computer.
Issue #4: In the meantime, I had placed a call to Adobe's help desk. They called back and told me to first install Google Chrome, which is more compatible with newer versions of Adobe Reader.
Issue #5: When trying to install Google chrome, I went through the same download problesm as under Issue #2 and issue #3. I found a version of Google chrome already downloaded on my computer, however, and launched it.
Issue #6 I tried to download Adobe Reader now using Google Chrome. Nope, same issues as before. I spent lots of time trying to get find and/or get access to temp file. Can't find it to change permissions on it .
Issue #7 I am minutes away from throwing pc into a snowbank and running over it with my car. Multiple times.

Anyone have any more productive ideas?

mystery42

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
Do you have admin priviledges? If you do just find the temp folder and change your permissions, you have to unhide all files including operating system files if you want to see it or go to C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files. Windows 7 has issues with all adobe versions i have yet to get it to work properly on my windows 7 but the other PC running it runs adobe fine, also a win7 64-bit OS same version as well only different hardware. Very odd and i think even adobe is confused by this.

pattyismad

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012

Thanks for trying to help. How do I unhide files? When I typed the string you suggest, I get a message saying the file can't be found.

mystery42

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
Open any window go to

>Organize
>Folder and Search options
>go to view tab
>click show hiddens files and folders
>also uncheck Hide operating system files
>warning comes up click yes
>good idea to change this back to default when your done

mystery42

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010

C:\users\yourname\appData\local\temp <--- go here and change permissions if you can, I was sending you to the wrong temp folder. sry :(

Should be able to just right click it and change your permissions. Its under the "security" tab. This folder is not hidden.

otrhead

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
Had a similar problem where all of a sudden I couldn't down load anything. The culprit was AVG. But to make it even more difficult for me to find the problem, AVG kept running after it was uninstalled. Go to their website for proper instructions on how to remove it. Other antivirus programs may prevent an uninstall also so check out their website for proper instructions. If that doesn't solve your problem remove your Firewall software. It is most likely one of these two programs. After I finally narrowed it down to AVG, I reinstalled the software and haven't had another issue with it so I can't tell you what started the problem.
Good Luck.

pattyismad

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012

NO worries, I tried that location too, and no temp file is listed. Your tip to unhide files finally made the local and appdata files appear, but no temp file. I checked permissions under Appdata, thinking my permissions might need to be changed there first. I have full permissions. A user called Everyone was listed, with no permissions. I tried to grant it permission (wondering if it was the default) and am now in an infinite loop -I got a warning that I didn't have access to do that (even though it shows I have full access). I tried to change permissions on "everyone" back to no permissions, and it won't change it back, and won't let me out of an infinite loop of dialogue boxes that are yelling at me.

Try to take ownership of the folder. But the issue that is not good is that something happened to change permissions on all the files, maybe. Everyone should be listed, but permissions should not be grated to that. As that is "Everyone" meaning anyone who logs on to the PC. Normally the user files have full rights to the User account, Administrator, and System.

I think you have corrupt files or registry entries under your account. Try to create a new account and see what happens as that user.

At last....

Between you and Mystery42 - you been trying to fix the symptoms... not the problem.

Why not try a restore?.... why was that not the obvious first step? but no... lets try and talk him through file permissions.. coz thats easy via mail :sarcastic:
Oh well... im out... but have fun

Cheers

mystery42

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010

No offense but in my expierence system restore just makes things worse atleast for all my issues it did. It solves the one problem and causes 10 more with other programs, no thank you.

pattyismad

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012

Thanks Yoji- I did try your suggestion, but didn't find a restore point that worked. I will look into your thoughts (and others) about corrupt files or registry entries. Any advice on how to get to the bottom of that?

pattyismad

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
All -

Thanks for the helpful suggestions. As some of you suggested, I created a new user with administrative permission, then downloaded Foxit software (instead of Adobe Reader, as I see that many have had similar printing issues in Windows 7 that remain unresolved from Adobe), and am able to print my documents.

I still need to get to the bottom of which files are corrupt and preventing me from being able to successfully download when logged on as myself (I checked to ensure that I am an administrator - I am).

My PC can live for one more day....

mystery42

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010

I read the first post over again and the more i think about it, Sounds like the same issue i have i hit Run or save and adobe does nothing only happens on sites useing the .aspx format to open the PDF document, when i click a link going straight to the pdf file it opens fine. I think its microsoft and adobe not getting along nicely. For some reason alot of site go to a .aspx file to open the document instead of just linking the pdf document. But since most of those sites are banking and loan sites i assume it has something to do with security.

G

I have the same problem pattyismad has wrote about, but none of the answers work for me, because
1) I use Windows XP
2) I don't have AVG9. The anti-virus I use is StopZilla. It found some viruses on my machine, but that didn't help.
3) Actually the problem with the TEMP folder started when I made a System Restore. Should I restore it back?

Please reply back soon. I am waiting for your response.

Frogy Sebastian

Honorable
Sep 9, 2013

raffamaiden

Reputable
Sep 3, 2014
Put this in a batch file and it will restore your temp folder permissions. Run it as an administrator (right click->run as administrator)

C++:
icacls "C:\Users\hp\AppData\Local\Temp" /grant Everyone:(OI)(CI)F