no beeps or post with graphics card inserted UPDATE: putting the card in again now works

Photogad

Reputable
Dec 12, 2015
Not a new build. Computer has been working fine for 6 months now. Suddenly, after the computer was sleeping, it wouldn't wake back up. Tried hard resetting it by unplugging and replugging, holding power switch for 30 seconds, etc.No beeps, no post, but fans spin and lights come on. No display on monitor.

I took out my video card as a troubleshooting step and plugged my monitor into the onboard graphics, boom! it posts, beeps, and boots into windows 10.

Video card is only 6 months old. The PSU is 3 years old. Do you think it's a bad video card or PSU? The PSU is the only item I salvaged from my old computer which is why it's 3 years old and all the other components are 6 months old.

EDIT: For craps and giggles, I plugged the video card back in and powered on. Now it's working fine. WTF?

What does that mean?

i7 6600k
gigabyte g1 mobo
nvidia 1070gtx
64gb gskill ram ddr4
850w corsair psu

Solution
may of just needed a kick start . something may of not made good contact or seated right ??

that's cool and what counts . glad it decided to kick in and work . could of been any of them issues ?? now lets see if it stays that way .

turned that frown upside down , right ???

hope you can enjoy it and good luck . did not see any bios updates for any card compatibility listed on your board should be fine

Photogad

Reputable
Dec 12, 2015

that's what I was thinking... but is it normal to not get any beeps or post with a failed GPU?

I was also thinking maybe the PSU was failing and not putting out enough power with the video card in to also power everything else.

PSU failing to do enough power causes crashes, reboots and the like, but not no-boot.
Of course I'm assuming you did double check all GPU connections like power cables, using different output on GPU etc
You get beep code if no GPU connected (but not on system with iGPU), but if GPU is connected but fails, you will not get beep code (usually)

Photogad

Reputable
Dec 12, 2015

z170x gaming 3

For craps and giggles, I plugged the video card back in and powered on. Now it's working fine. WTF?

What does that mean, when it wouldn't boot with the video card in, but taking the video card out and putting it back in makes it work?

To clarify, these were exact problems and steps I took:

1) Computer went to sleep, wouldn't come back on.
2) I hard reset the computer, it turned on but wouldn't post or beep.
3) Took out video card, used onboard graphics, then it booted fine.
4) I shut off computer, put video card back in, and it booted up great again.

I honestly don't think it was an issue with the video card being seated properly. It was seated in quite well, and like I said has been working fine for 6 months, and I haven't touched my tower at all or moved it. And we don't have earthquakes here.

Motherboard issue? Bios issue?

Photogad

Reputable
Dec 12, 2015

For craps and giggles, I plugged the video card back in and powered on. Now it's working fine. WTF?

What does that mean, when it wouldn't boot with the video card in, but taking the video card out and putting it back in makes it work?

To clarify, these were exact problems and steps I took:

1) Computer went to sleep, wouldn't come back on.
2) I hard reset the computer, it turned on but wouldn't post or beep.
3) Took out video card, used onboard graphics, then it booted fine.
4) I shut off computer, put video card back in, and it booted up great again.

I honestly don't think it was an issue with the video card being seated properly. It was seated in quite well, and like I said has been working fine for 6 months, and I haven't touched my tower at all or moved it. And we don't have earthquakes here.

Motherboard issue? Bios issue?

may of just needed a kick start . something may of not made good contact or seated right ??

that's cool and what counts . glad it decided to kick in and work . could of been any of them issues ?? now lets see if it stays that way .

turned that frown upside down , right ???

hope you can enjoy it and good luck . did not see any bios updates for any card compatibility listed on your board should be fine

Solution
Jun 19, 2018
I had a Sapphire Raedon R9 280 Dual-X which started having major problems. When playing graphically intense video games, it would all of a sudden show vertical bars and then the screen went black, and then there was no video. I would have to hold in the power button to restart the PC. I tried lots of troubleshooting, and eventually put in a used video card that I had (an R9 270). When I put in th R9 270, I got the beep on boot, and all worked fine. When I went back to the problematic R9 280, I got no beep at bootup, and got no video. I tried this a few different times, and each time that the working R9 270 was put in, I got the beep at bootup. Each time I put in the problematic R9 280, all the fans came on, but I got no beep and no display. So, in my case, it seems that a defective video card results in no beep at bootup.