No boot 9 beeps error

Jul 25, 2018
I have completed the following but the computer is not working, the tower will boot but nothing shows on the monitor, have tried DEL F1 and F2

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.computer,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

For all those, who experience the same problem and cannot find a
proper answer among the flood of nonsense suggestions and
quotations...

Contrary to so many posts that say that your motherboard had gone bad,
or that your CPU is toast, or other nonsense like that...

This is what you have to do:

1) Find the battery on the motherboard that stores the CMOS
settings.

[ In my case it was easy to see -- it's a quater-size
watch-type battery. Hard to miss. ]

2) Remove it, and replace with a new one. The life expectancy
of this battery is 2 years. Mine lasted 6 without problems,
until one day I could no longer boot...

3) Find the jumper on the motherboard that clears the CMOS.

[ The motherboard documentation will tell you where it is. ]

4) Clear the CMOS, using that jumper.

[ The procedure will obviously vary from one manufacturer
to the next.In my case (TYAN), I was following the
instructions from my motherboard's documentation, but
it was not working, and I started to suspect that, in fact,
my motherboard is a gonner.

Turns out the procedure was wrong! To reset the CMOS, I did
not have to move the jumper to another position -- I had
to remove it altogether. Boot the computer without the jumper.
(Nothing will happen, and everything will be black). Then
put the jumper into the proper position, and boot again.

5) When the computer boots it will display the message that your CMOS
settings are incorrect, and will stop and halt almost immediately.
This is expected.

Enter the BIOS and reset it to BIOS defaults.

[ In AMI BIOS it can be done blindly (ie, if VGA is not working,
and nothing is displayed, by pressing F5 (Setup Defaults) soon
after entering the BIOS. Here is the procedure if you have to
work blindly as I had since my AGP card would not be recognized;
by default, the BIOS would direct a video signal to the PCI card,
which I did not have. A special setting must be done in the BIOS
to tell it that my primary display is AGP. ]

Power up
[DEL] to enter BIOS (some MB use F1, I've even seen F2)
[F5] to "Load Setup Defaults"
[ENTER] to confirm
[F10] to "Save and Exit"
[ENTER] to confirm

After this your computer should come back.