no boot with gpu

Ravenloss

Commendable
Oct 31, 2016
I have a new mobo (asus z1070 pro gaming/aura) and it works perfectly... without my graphics card, but when i install it, it won't even post, is my gpu dead, or what?

i have to clarify, it's not like it's lagging or anything, it just does not start at all

Solution
With a new motherboard, you want to install all of the motherboard drivers that came with the motherboard.
They will work, and you can get the latest from the internet later.

Bmacker

Reputable
Jan 7, 2015
You're 100% certain the PCI-E's are 100% connected?

If your GPU worked with your previous MOBO before installation, but your new MOBO isn't allowing it to work, it's your MOBO.

Can you give us your PSU, RAM, CPU, and GPU?

Bmacker

Reputable
Jan 7, 2015

There's a good chance he didn't delete the previous drivers, and now it's freaking out.
I forgot to do so when I rebuilt my brothers PC. I switched him from a PCMate Mobo to an ASUS, and it did the exact same thing -- which is odd considering it shouldn't have.

Instead of messing around for hours. I just uninstalled windows and reinstalled to save some time finding the issue.
Worked just fine afterwards of course.

Any graphics card will work in a basic mode without any driver at all.

Dumb questions:
1. Is your monitor connected to the new graphics card?
2. Is the motherboard bios set to use the discrete card adapter as primary?
3. What is the graphics card? Does it need a aux power lead? Is it plugged in?
4. Is the graphics card installed in the primary x16 slot?
5. Is the graphics card seated properly and secured with the rear screw?

GPU will be recognized without the drivers provided for GPU. But it will not be recognized if motherboard is missing port specific drivers. We were talking about motherboard drivers not GPU. :)

Ravenloss

Commendable
Oct 31, 2016

psu is corsair cs750m ram is 32g corsair vengeance cpu intel core i7 6700 gpu asus 1080strix

Yes that is my point download new drivers online and install them it should work fine. If still it doesn't then that means either GPU is not installed correctly or installed in a wrong slot. O if everything is installed perfectly then there can be problem with GPU or Motherboard.