Question No boot with new GPU

editedbyjake

Reputable
Sep 23, 2015
Recently, I purchased an ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER. After installation, the system will not boot with the new GPU. I have tried reseating the card multiple times and, although the motherboard and power ports on the GPU light up, the system will not boot. I removed the card and have checked all other parts (RAM one stick at a time, nothing else plugged in but monitor and keyboard) and the system boots into Windows with no issues. I have also reinstalled my old Quadro card and the system boots and loads Windows flawlessly.

I'm beginning to think that the new card may be faulty. Is there anything else I should check before returning it or am I missing something?

System Specs
Thermaltake Chaser A71 ATX Full Tower Case
Asus RAMPAGE V EXTREME/U3
Intel Core i7-5960X
G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 64 GB (8 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400
Corsair H60 CPU Cooler
Kingwin Lazer Gold 1300 W 80+ Gold Certified PSU

dotas1

Admirable
Kingwin Lazer Gold 1300 W 80+ Gold Certified PSU
I have not found a single review from a website, or forum about this PSU and the only customer reviews are from 2012-2013. That makes the unit 8 years old and if yours is bought even along with your CPU, makes it a 6 year old PSU. Age degradation and the questionable reliability and quality of the PSU can produce all kind of errors/ faults etc.

I would try another PSU first, something that has both the quality and the wattage needed. You can also try putting the GPU in another system (a friend's maybe).

Reactions: editedbyjake

editedbyjake

Reputable
Sep 23, 2015
I have not found a single review from a website, or forum about this PSU and the only customer reviews are from 2012-2013. That makes the unit 8 years old and if yours is bought even along with your CPU, makes it a 6 year old PSU. Age degradation and the questionable reliability and quality of the PSU can produce all kind of errors/ faults etc.

I would try another PSU first, something that has both the quality and the wattage needed. You can also try putting the GPU in another system (a friend's maybe).
Good point. I didn't think about that. I have access to another PC that I can check that has a more reputable PSU so I'll go ahead and give that a go. If it turns out that the PSU is the culprit in my case, do you have any suggestions for a replacement? I have looked at either an ASUS Rog Thor 1200W or EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2.

dotas1

Admirable
You do not need that much wattage for your system. A decent 750W is more than enough. Quality before quantity. That being said, I highly suggest that you read the first post from this:
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/power-supply-psu-models-what-to-buy-what-to-avoid-and-psu-discussion-thread.3212332/
and there are recommendations here:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html#section-best-psu-up-to-750-watts
If you don't want to spend too much there are many other options here:
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40/
I would suggest going Tier B+ or even better A for your system.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS