No Booting Straight to Desktop in Windows 8

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I will definitely be skipping Windows 8. The interface is horrible. Microsoft can develop whatever they like, however, we do not have to use it. I guess the idea is to force people to use the new interface to make the look of the failed Windows phone more common. Good luck.

hannibal

Distinguished
I will definitely be skipping Windows 8. The interface is horrible. Microsoft can develop whatever they like, however, we do not have to use it. I guess the idea is to force people to use the new interface to make the look of the failed Windows phone more common. Good luck.

Well you have to in 2020... Win9 will have win8 UI with 3d tiles, or maybe they will bring back Airo style tiles. Win10 allso will have some kind of tile based UI. Eventually we all have to make the change. We don't have to like it, but this is the way MS desided to do it, and when you think how desk top computers are in decline and mobile computers are rising, this is good move to them!

I by my self am just wondering if I will move to tile UI now, or when win9 is released... There are some driver problems in the beginning sure, so win9 is safer alternative to move to the user of Modern UI.

G

I'm dual-booting 7 and 8 and 8 is gaining a lot of brownie points.

Mind you though that i disabled most of the metro stuff (well all of it) and the charms bar, added a start menu and i boot straight to the desktop (which the article title says is not possible, ha). Runs a lot smoother and is less resource hungry than windows 7 and all the programs i used run fine in 8. I guess a lot of the nay-sayers haven't really give it a proper spin or many of you can't live without aero..

G

Sorry but I don't understand how people can comment on an O/S when they obviously haven't used it or taken the time to learn it. You can easily set up boot to desktop via a scheduled task but considering it takes 1 click in metro to get you there I don't see the point. People need to start moving with the times, we do it with hardware, yet people seem content to stay on the same outdated software layouts for years. Move on people, I've used MS since 3.1 and I must admit, I was sceptical of the new layout in Windows 8 but it took me less than 10 minutes to figure everything out and now I love it... I must be some sort of wizard! abracadabra... vanish!

tinmann

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I'd never put an operating system like this on my desktop but I almost bought Windows 8 when they had it on the cheap for my laptop. Now I'm glad I just installed Home Premium 64bit and called it a day.

popatim

Titan
In task manager properties, on the navigation Tab, put a check box in 'When I sign in go to the desktop'
or something very similar to that.

Classic shell is free and can also bypass the metro screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.