Question No Digital Multichannel Audio via HDMI

M1ckr1ck

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2016
I have a WIndows 10/11 dual boot system running on an Asus ROG Maximus VIII Gene mobo with i7-7700k cpu. I have a Geforce GTX 1650 Super graphics card, with the displayport connection going to my monitor, and the HDMI connection going to my 4k tv for games and entertainment. I also have the onboard mobo HDMI connection going to my Onkyo TX-NR686 av receiver for digital multichannel sound. And this is where the problem lies.

Until recently, I was able to watch movies and tv shows on my tv in 4k 60hz, with dolby digital and dts digital multichannel sound playback through my receiver. But the receiver has suddenly stopped playing digital sound from the pc, and only plays pcm 2 channel sound. This is the case with either of the 2 HDMI connections switched to the receiver, and regardless of HDMI cables used. And it happens with both Windows 10 and Windows 11 builds. I use PowerDVD 18 and MPC-HC for playing movies and tv, both set to bitstream to the receiver. The receiver then decodes the signal it receives

I used an app called CRU to check the properties of each graphics connection. It shows both the onboard graphics (Intel HD 630) and graphics card only being capable of stereo output. Windows, however, reports that both are capable of digital audio output, up to dolby Atmos standard. This app also lets you edit the edid of the connections. So I added all the formats my receiver is capable of decoding. This has made no difference.

Whilst investigating this further, I found that there are new Intel graphics drivers for Windows 10 build 21H2/Windows 11. I installed these drivers, but it has made no difference.

All other devices connected to the receiver are working perfectly, including an Nvidia Shield Android TV Pro box, 4k-compatible cable box, Xbox One S console, and Panasonic bluray player.

Sorry if this seems very long-winded or confusing. I have tried to include as much relevant information as possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have a WIndows 10/11 dual boot system running on an Asus ROG Maximus VIII Gene mobo with i7-7700k cpu. I have a Geforce GTX 1650 Super graphics card, with the displayport connection going to my monitor, and the HDMI connection going to my 4k tv for games and entertainment. I also have the onboard mobo HDMI connection going to my Onkyo TX-NR686 av receiver for digital multichannel sound. And this is where the problem lies.

Until recently, I was able to watch movies and tv shows on my tv in 4k 60hz, with dolby digital and dts digital multichannel sound playback through my receiver. But the receiver has suddenly stopped playing digital sound from the pc, and only plays pcm 2 channel sound. This is the case with either of the 2 HDMI connections switched to the receiver, and regardless of HDMI cables used. And it happens with both Windows 10 and Windows 11 builds. I use PowerDVD 18 and MPC-HC for playing movies and tv, both set to bitstream to the receiver. The receiver then decodes the signal it receives

I used an app called CRU to check the properties of each graphics connection. It shows both the onboard graphics (Intel HD 630) and graphics card only being capable of stereo output. Windows, however, reports that both are capable of digital audio output, up to dolby Atmos standard. This app also lets you edit the edid of the connections. So I added all the formats my receiver is capable of decoding. This has made no difference.

Whilst investigating this further, I found that there are new Intel graphics drivers for Windows 10 build 21H2/Windows 11. I installed these drivers, but it has made no difference.

All other devices connected to the receiver are working perfectly, including an Nvidia Shield Android TV Pro box, 4k-compatible cable box, Xbox One S console, and Panasonic bluray player.

Sorry if this seems very long-winded or confusing. I have tried to include as much relevant information as possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Was there any updating of the Nvidia Geforce 1650 drivers that might adversely affect the motherboard hdmi output? Did the problem start at the same time as a Windows update? Is it possible to use the toslink optical port instead of hdmi, or is hdmi necessary for video switching? Are these fresh reinstalls of Windows?