Question No display after boot, monitor and graphics driver compatibility issue

Mar 28, 2019
Recently upgraded 2 PCs with ASRock PG RX 570, connects using HDMI, DVI, or DP. If I use an OS installation without drivers, or before Windows during boot I get display to monitor, monitor is NEC LCD2190UXi. No signal to monitor after boot if I have drivers installed. If I plug the computers to a different display using HDMI the problem goes away. I think the digital drivers are trying to set the resolution or refresh rate to something my monitor can't use, my monitor uses an old 4:3 screen ratio and the display that works is the new 16:9 standard widescreen. If the graphics card used VGA I think the problem wouldn't happen with this monitor, I've always had issues with the DVI port getting no signal with this monitor.

I will probably upgrade the monitor and this will fix the issues, but are there any workarounds? Is there an easy way to boot into safe mode using Windows 10? F8 only lets me change the boot device, it doesn't have an option for safe mode.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
digital GPU with an analog monitor?
if so you will need an active signal converter. the DVI ports on the card are digital, they are all digital.
there is a DVI-I which will have both digital and analogue signals to pass but that is an older standard and you need a digital to analogue converter for the monitor to function. they are no longer installed to GPU's as they are digital only.
example only, not an endorsement, shop around, caveat emptor
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIACJF6PJ1700
something like this, a Digital to Analogue converter that is powered by a USB, powered is important, cable will convert the monitor to work with a digital signal

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2019
Monitor uses both DVI-I and DVI-D, I am using the the DVI-D with a DVI-D cable. Using a converter to use the VGA port on the monitor would probably work, because VGA tends to be more forgiving of mismatched settings between the monitor and graphics card.