[SOLVED] No display after DDU

Mar 10, 2019
Alright, so I've made a mistake, and I'm fully aware I f'ed up. So here's my problem:

My friend recently purchased a new GPU, and offered me his old one. It turns out his old GPU is an RX 580 8gb sapphire pulse, which is the same, as my current card (different brand). Since I planned on buying a new card sometime next month, I figured I might, as well experiment with crossfire, and see how well it performs. I heard in some games (crossfire compatible) you gain more fps. So before installing the new card, I used DDU to remove all trace of my old drivers, so I can install new ones. As I was checking through the settings in ddu I was prompted to block windows from automatically installing drivers when plugging in a new card. Like an idiot I am, I skimmed through it, without fully reading what it said, and I clicked "ok". So I hit clean, and restart, and now I have no display. Obviously because I blocked windows from automatically installing a display driver, and this was my mistake. I hadn't done any tests to try and fix it, because I was running late to work, so if anyone has any clues on how to fix this, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

My specs:

Ryzen 7 1700 OCd to 3.6ghz
Asus Rog Strix b450 gaming f motherboard
Patriot Viper Elite 16gb DDR4 2666mghz
Red Devil RX580 8gb
650watt Raidmax PSU 80+ bronze

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Hi Ponyo,

Because you can't actually use the system, I would take out the graphics card and plug the monitor cables within the motherboard for now on integrated graphics.

Tell me if that works from there and I'll see what else we can do.
That won't do anything because the Ryzen 1700 doesn't have integrated graphics.

Booting install media will have the graphics driver from the install media. Just need to make sure you choose repair. IF you have irreplaceable data, then take the system disk out and use another computer to make a backup of it first.

Mohan_27

Reputable
Jun 2, 2017
Hi Ponyo,

Because you can't actually use the system, I would take out the graphics card and plug the monitor cables within the motherboard for now on integrated graphics.

kanewolf

Titan
Hi Ponyo,

That won't do anything because the Ryzen 1700 doesn't have integrated graphics.

Booting install media will have the graphics driver from the install media. Just need to make sure you choose repair. IF you have irreplaceable data, then take the system disk out and use another computer to make a backup of it first.

Solution
Mar 10, 2019
Hi Ponyo,

My CPU does not have integrated graphics. As for the motherboard, I'd be mind blown if it did. I don't know any motherboards with integrated graphics. And I don't think the rog strix b450 f has it. I'm getting out of work early today, so maybe I'll just try to reset BIOS, and see if that does the trick. But thanks for the suggestion.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
DDU doesn't erase windows drivers, it only erases all additional 3rd party drivers and registry associations and folders. So basically what you have is a clean system that has no links between registry and gpu for a driver, and you'll need to make one. You'll need the repair disk/USB to do that, which contains its own links and drivers. Plug that in, hit repair and it'll make the link in your system.