[SOLVED] No display after enabling secure boot ?

KushBukush

Prominent
Jan 19, 2020
Guys after enabling secure boot and enrolling the platform key, my pc isn't starting or booting. Also i can't access to the bios menu because its not giving video out.

Already tried by resetting cmos. But nothing changed. I can't try to boot it up with integrated graphics because my cpu is a F one.

Specs :
Msi h410m pro
I3 10100F
Sapphire rx 570

And sometimes "vga" ez debug led is keep lighted up.

It seems keyboard is working fine and caps,num,scroll locks keys are working.

Soo what I can do?

Solution
Guys thanks all. I found a solution and It worked for me. So I'm posting it here and It will be a help to someone else

You will need another PC And a Pen drive

1. Create a bootable Pendrive with any OS. Here I used Ubuntu. Make sure that the partition type must be GPT
  2. Turn off the computer and remove all cables except power, monitor, keyboard, and mouse.
  3. At the moment in my pc, there was no SSD or HDD was plugged in.
  4. Plug the Pen drive directly to the motherboard (yea to back panel)
  5. Boot up the computer. You will not see any change. Just restart the monitor by its power button. Not from the wall socket.
  6. Then you will be in the bios menu.
Hope that will work for anyone.

Secret-Squirrel

Reputable
Sep 12, 2020
Already tried by resetting cmos. But nothing changed.

The following is taken from page 17 of your motherboard's user manual. Is this what you tried?:

Resetting BIOS to default values
1. Power off the computer and unplug the power cord.
2. Use a jumper cap to short JBAT1 for about 5-10 seconds.
3. Remove the jumper cap from JBAT1.
4. Plug the power cord and power on the computer.

If you need further help then here's the direct link to the PDF version of your manual.

KushBukush

Prominent
Jan 19, 2020
The following is taken from page 17 of your motherboard's user manual. Is this what you tried?:

Resetting BIOS to default values
  1. Power off the computer and unplug the power cord.
  2. Use a jumper cap to short JBAT1 for about 5-10 seconds.
  3. Remove the jumper cap from JBAT1.
  4. Plug the power cord and power on the computer.

If you need further help then here's the direct link to the PDF version of your manual.

Yes, but it didnt change anything

Secret-Squirrel

Reputable
Sep 12, 2020
Disconnect the power cable then hold in the power button for ten seconds or so.

That tip does occasionally fix problems like yours. If it doesn't then do you have another graphics card to try as the VGA LED indicates GPU failure.

ravin_29

Commendable
Mar 24, 2019
If you don't have thermal paste, do not try right now. If thermal paste is not adequate or if not correctly applied, it might overheat the CPU. Get some good thermal paste before trying this.
Personally on my AMD systems, I have messed up with BIOSes a few time but when ever there was a boot failure, resetting CMOS always worked for me so far. In a rare case you might have either corrupted BIOS or failed mobo merely coincidently happening around the same time. But I consider it as a last probability.

ravin_29

Commendable
Mar 24, 2019
This is obvious but just check once. When there's no display. Just switch off monitor and then switch it back on and see if it displays anything. While it should not be the case, as rx570 is uefi capable, but may be there's some incompatibility between secure boot and your GPU's BIOS? Ideally clearing CMOS should have worked. Try shorting the CMOS clear pins longer, may ne 30 seconds and re-try.

Last edited:

KushBukush

Prominent
Jan 19, 2020
. While it should not be the case, as rx570 is uefi capable, but may be there's some incompatibility between secure boot and your GPU's BIOS? Ideally clearing CMOS should have worked. Try shorting the CMOS clear pins longer, may ne 30 seconds and re-try.

I'll give it a try. At the same time I contacted the msi through tickets because they dont offer live chat to my region. They told me to switch off monitor for while and check again. But that didnt fixed the problem.

Btw I tried to boot the computer with my pen drive which is installed ubuntu setup. It seems the pc is booting up with it because there was no any debug led indicated. But still no display outputs. Keyboard capslock,numlock etc was responding. At the moment nvme and hdd was not plugged in.

I also checked by booting it up without the pen drive to check if any debug led is lighting and boot led lighted up.

KushBukush

Prominent
Jan 19, 2020
Guys thanks all. I found a solution and It worked for me. So I'm posting it here and It will be a help to someone else

1. Create a bootable Pendrive with any OS. Here I used Ubuntu. Make sure that the partition type must be GPT
  2. Turn off the computer and remove all cables except power, monitor, keyboard, and mouse.
  5. Boot up the computer. You will not see any change. Just restart the monitor by its power button. Not from the wall socket.

Solution
Aug 18, 2021

Hello is this solution also applicable to mine? I had updated my platform keys then it gives me blackscreen, keyboard and mouse have no light and I cant Access bios, Thank you for answering

Aug 18, 2021

And may I ask if what did you do when you opened the bios? did you load the optimized bios?

KushBukush

Prominent
Jan 19, 2020
Hello is this solution also applicable to mine? I had updated my platform keys then it gives me blackscreen, keyboard and mouse have no light and I cant Access bios, Thank you for answering
Yes maybe.
But you have to clear cmos before do this.

And the other thing is I trird to enable secure boot again by enrolling all default keys. This gave me black screen. But this time it was possible to access bios by restarting the pc.

So I updated my bios and it fixed that problem. Now the pc is running perfectly with secure boot.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
For vga error, the top slot is pcie lanes used by the cpu, which for some reason the gpu may not be detected. The solution (if available) is to temporarily use the second x16 slot as that uses pcie lanes from the motherboard chipset, which is far more reliable. Once the gpu is detected and verified by the bios, you can then move the gpu back to the primary slot.

Aug 18, 2021
Yes maybe.
But you have to clear cmos before do this.

And the other thing is I trird to enable secure boot again by enrolling all default keys. This gave me black screen. But this time it was possible to access bios by restarting the pc.

So I updated my bios and it fixed that problem. Now the pc is running perfectly with secure boot.
after opening the bios how did you update the bios and reconnect your original storage?