Question No display after installing new GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

amarkriv

Reputable
Jun 22, 2018
I just got a 3070ti and installed it into my system and there is no signal coming into any of my monitors. I tried using different hdmi and dp cables, resetting my bios by taking out the cmos battery. I tried putting my old gpu inside the system and there is still no signal. It says my motherboard is still getting power, and i tried running it without any gpus to see if i could download the drivers, but it didn’t work as their is still no display. This started immediately after I put the new gpu in. Anyone think they could help?

Specs:
ryzen 7 5800x
32 Gb ddr4 3200mhz
ROG Strix b550-f
Rm850x psu

boju

Titan
Ambassador
5800x doesn't have integrated graphics so motherboard video ports are inactive. New or old gpu, you were connecting video cable to the card yeah? Some background info on your system would be good, when it did work and with what.

amarkriv

Reputable
Jun 22, 2018
5800x doesn't have integrated graphics so motherboard video ports are inactive. New or old gpu, you were connecting video cable to the card yeah? Some background info on your system would be good, when it did work and with what.
Previously i had a 1070ti and the issue happened immediately after i installed the the 3070ti into my system. And yeah i connected the video cables to the cards but after installing the 3070ti, neither will display.

Maybe you damaged the motherboard GPU slot when you removed the old GPU? Did the old card come out without difficulty? How about when you put in the new card? Any issues?

I'd give the PCI-E GPU slot a good visual inspection to ensure nothing broke off the old card when you removed it.

amarkriv

Reputable
Jun 22, 2018
Maybe you damaged the motherboard GPU slot when you removed the old GPU? Did the old card come out without difficulty? How about when you put in the new card? Any issues?

I'd give the PCI-E GPU slot a good visual inspection to ensure nothing broke off the old card when you removed it.
The old gpu came out normally and nothing looks to be wrong with the pci-e slot in the mobo, both cards look to be fine, and I tested it out on a second pci-e slot just to be sure.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Do you get a display if you insert either card in the second pcie slot? If it does, because second slot runs from motherboard chipset instead of cpu lanes, there may be pcie gen issue. If second slot gives display with 3070ti, let it boot to Windows then power down. Try top slot then. If that still doesn't work, use second slot again (if you get a display) and try force in bios pcie to gen 4 instead of auto and try again.

To rule out another possibility, are you using riser cable by any chance? Usually these aren't gen 4 compatible and if you are using one try pcie slot directly.

Last edited:

amarkriv

Reputable
Jun 22, 2018
Do you get a display if you insert either card in the second pcie slot? If it does, because second slot runs from motherboard chipset instead of cpu lanes, there may be pcie gen issue. If second slot gives display with 3070ti, let it boot to Windows then power down. Try top slot then. If that still doesn't work, use second slot again (if you get a display) and try force in bios pcie to gen 4 instead of auto and try again.

To rule out another possibility, are you using riser cable by any chance? Usually these aren't gen 4 compatible and if you are using one try pcie slot directly.
I don’t get a display on either pcie slot with any cards and i’m not using riser cables. Appreciate the in depth response though.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
What about the display cable and monitor, anything different there than before? Maybe try same video cable from other pc.

Try pull the cmos battery with 1070ti in. Unplug power cable and remove battery for a minute. If 1070ti works and gets you to bios then try force pcie gen to 4 before installing 3070ti. Or clear cmos with 3070ti in and hopefully you don't need to do any adjustments in bios. Maybe board is confused between pcie gens having changed different generation cards.

If you clear cmos you'll have to reconfigure docp again for 3200.

Last edited:

amarkriv

Reputable
Jun 22, 2018
What about the display cable and monitor, anything different there than before? Maybe try same video cable from other pc.

Try pull the cmos battery with 1070ti in. Unplug power cable and remove battery for a minute. If 1070ti works and gets you to bios then try force pcie gen to 4 before installing 3070ti. Or clear cmos with 3070ti in and hopefully you don't need to do any adjustments in bios. Maybe board is confused between pcie gens having changed different generation cards.

If you clear cmos you'll have to reconfigure docp again for 3200.
Clearing the cmos with either card still didn’t get anything to display, but the screen on the 3070ti stopped displaying all of a sudden, could it be that the pcie slot isn’t providing power to the gpu?

amarkriv

Reputable
Jun 22, 2018
What does this mean exactly?
Sorry, the 3070ti had a small screen on it that has the option to display temps, gifs, ect. and all of a sudden it stopped working, as it would have a loading gif before. I was wondering if it was common issue for motherboards to stop providing power through the pcie slot.

Status
Not open for further replies.